Why eat dessert?

Options
124»

Replies

• hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only eat dessert on special occasions. It’s how I was brought up, possibly because my grandmother was diabetic and wasn’t allowed much sugar. In any case, I’ve never really been the type to eat dessert after every meal.

Birthdays, anniversaries, at parties, etc. I will eat cake because that goes along with the festivities. It’s sort of like… during the summer, I eat ice cream. In my mind, the two things go together. I feel like I’m missing something if I don’t eat cake at a birthday party or ice cream once in a while during the summer.

Candy… I seldom eat at all. During holidays – Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc. – I might eat some of the traditional candies. That’s the same as having ice cream in the summer. Easter just feels wrong without a couple Peeps and a small chocolate bunny.

Cookies… those are an everyday thing, just about. I have two cookies with my lunch. That’s what my mother packed in my lunch when she sent me off to school. That’s what I pack in my lunch when I go off to work. I’d had days where I’ve eaten fruit instead of cookies… that’s usually fine.

There are certain times when I just NEED chocolate or candy of some kind. When those times come, eating fruit just won’t cut it. If I eat just a little bit, then the feeling of NEED goes away and I move on with my life. My way of looking at sweets is that… there are a great many things I eat that don’t give me nutrition (plain water, for example), that doesn’t mean the benefit of them isn’t real. Sometimes, it’s only psychological, but it’s just as real. So long as I don’t go overboard, it won’t hurt me.
  • vsauder729
    vsauder729 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    There's something wrong if you are eating things you don't want just because of social reasons. Most people eat things because they like them, and don't eat things because they don't like them. Learn how to say "no thank you," instead of starting rants about what other people choose to eat.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm sorry. I have a little social anxiety and a little tendency towards eating disordered thinking. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't trying to accuse anyone. I just wanted to understand because I had a feeling something was wrong (with me), as you said.
  • vsauder729
    vsauder729 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Based on the responses, I just want to clarify something: I did not mean to say you personally shouldn't eat dessert, or demanding you explain yourself. That's not what I was trying to ask, and I'm so sorry that it came across that way. :( You all understand what works for your body and mind best! And I wouldn't want to keep anyone from enjoying something they love, provided it's not immoral or harmful. Also, for the record, I recant my position. ;) I would edit the original post if I could...

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded! They really did help bring to light some personal issues behind what I originally said. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say, I can't really enjoy desserts anymore, for the wrong reasons. I'm sorry I sometimes forget that most people genuinely enjoy desserts (as well they should). Please, I hope you all continue to enjoy whatever it is you enjoy (in moderation, of course). :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    because cheesecake!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    vsauder729 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    There's something wrong if you are eating things you don't want just because of social reasons. Most people eat things because they like them, and don't eat things because they don't like them. Learn how to say "no thank you," instead of starting rants about what other people choose to eat.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm sorry. I have a little social anxiety and a little tendency towards eating disordered thinking. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't trying to accuse anyone. I just wanted to understand because I had a feeling something was wrong (with me), as you said.
    I kind of get what you're saying now. In some situations, it's fine to join in the group and eat something you might otherwise choose not to -- for example, I don't care what else I've eaten that day or how full I am, if my mom makes something for me, I'm going to try it.

But generally, eat what you want and don't worry about what other people are doing. Yes, some dessert preferences are socially based, but what it really boils down to is that you are in charge of what you eat. Nobody really cares THAT much about what someone else is eating, or if they do, they're the one being rude. Practice saying "no, thank you" or "it looks delicious, but I'm going to pass this time." You really don't owe anyone more of an explanation than that.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Because I like it and I don't like to deprive myself.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love dessert but hate eating it RIGHT after meals. I like to wait and eat it at the end of the day. I hate when some people go out to eat for lunch or dinner or just cook a meal and always HAVE to make something for dessert. Dessert foods are my favorite and comforting at the end of the day lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I love dessert but hate eating it RIGHT after meals. I like to wait and eat it at the end of the day. I hate when some people go out to eat for lunch or dinner or just cook a meal and always HAVE to make something for dessert. Dessert foods are my favorite and comforting at the end of the day lol.

My issue with dessert is that I have hypoglycemia at times, so I need to eat it with meals... but when we visit my brother in law, they like taking a 2 hour break before dessert, which means that I always end up getting a sugar drop afterwards and end up eating too much! It sucks!

But I'm the other way around, I can do without dessert at night, I just like my big meal at lunch (with dessert) - which kinda sucks with hypoglycemia too though, as it means a high calorie meal and not many calories later for a snack.

Having a sweet tooth and hypoglycemia sucks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Based on the responses, I just want to clarify something: I did not mean to say you personally shouldn't eat dessert, or demanding you explain yourself. That's not what I was trying to ask, and I'm so sorry that it came across that way. :( You all understand what works for your body and mind best! And I wouldn't want to keep anyone from enjoying something they love, provided it's not immoral or harmful. Also, for the record, I recant my position. ;) I would edit the original post if I could...

I didn't take your OP in that way, especially since you posed it as a question. You gave your opinion and asked for ours. Seems harmless. :smile:
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The taste. Dessert is something I enjoy and cant let go.

Of course I've reduced the intake, but wont stop from eating them once or twice a week.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Or, more incisively, why eat sugary candies and desserts when there are healthier sweet treats, like fruit or yogurt? Traditionally, in places like Japan, dessert was for special occasions, or limited to some fruit. This means it isn't unnatural for a society to eat little to no sweets. There isn't any nutritional value in cakes, donuts, candies, etc., but there is in fruit, which tastes just as good, in my opinion. This means eating little to no dessert would effect our health in a neutral or positive way.

Which leads into the one main reason why I still currently eat desserts: social reasons. Almost everyone eats sweets, and they're much more heavily marketed than produce. But, why conform? Conformity may be instinctual, but that doesn't make it advantageous. Besides, vegetarians and vegans choose not to eat something that does, arguably, have nutritional value. So, choosing not to eat a nutritionally devoid food seems to make just as much, if not possibly more sense, from a health standpoint.

The other reason why people eat sweets is just because it tastes good and they've habitually eaten them for as long as they can remember. So it seems to come down to a choice between habit and temporary, superficial pleasure, and long-term health benefits and a different lifestyle. The latter seems more important to me, unless sweets bring someone genuine, lasting joy (which I totally respect!)

So, should I/you/we eat dessert? Under what conditions? Why? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you have, especially something from the opposing viewpoint. Please be respectful. Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is a mini essay or a rant. Oops. Sorry, I've spent a lot of time pondering this!

Because I have lost 90lbs including desserts in my WOE. I eat to live and live to eat. Simple. I'm not conforming, I just freakin' like chocolate. ;)
    A calorie is a calorie.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Because I like them on occasion and they don't harm me in any way. And, I love eating them around people who think sugar is a toxin.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat them because I like them. If I liked fruit more, I'd eat that.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert when I have calories left, I'm on vacation, and someone is shoving it in my face. (otherwise known as left it sitting on the counter)