Losing it to my 50th bday!

Options
Shooting for 2 lbs a week to reach my 25lbs goal for 50th bday Nov 24 2016. A friend opened my eyes today!

Whatcha think?  Reasonable?  I have to eat 1435 cals per day according to calorie calculator which isn't too low or too high. Good number.  Eat 6 times a day so I don't get hungry.

I currently weigh 196, 5'6 age 49 female.

Replies

• caroannv
    caroannv Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely you can do it. I had exactly the same motivation. My 50th birthday is 27th October. I started at 160lbs and now (106 days later) I am at 130 lbs. I did join the gym and went every day I could manage, alternating cardio with weights. And tracked every day. Such an education about portion control and the effect of allowing my sweet tooth free reign. Go for it. In three months time you can be there!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JPH128 wrote: »
    Shooting for 2 lbs a week to reach my 25lbs goal for 50th bday Nov 24 2016. A friend opened my eyes today!

Whatcha think?  Reasonable?  I have to eat 1435 cals per day according to calorie calculator which isn't too low or too high. Good number.  Eat 6 times a day so I don't get hungry.

I'm not understanding your math. November 24 is 19 weeks away, not 12.5. Regardless, 25 pounds in 4 months is a reasonable goal. Just don't get too tied to it and remember that any progress is progress, even if you lose 24 pounds instead of 25.
  • JPH128
    JPH128 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oops my fault. Where did I get that number. Yes 19 weeks away!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    JPH128 wrote: »

I'm about your height, weight, and age and thought 1435 cals per day seemed too high. Sure enough, when I plugged your stats into MFP and desired weight loss goal of 2 pounds per week I get 1200 calories. I'd be miserable on that low amount of calories.

If you only have 25 pounds to lose total, 2 pounds per week is too aggressive a weight loss goal. You'd have to eat 1,000 calories per day under maintenance level calories, which is doable for someone who weighs more and whose maintenance calories are higher.

Here are sustainable goals:
    • 0.5 lb per week if you have less than 25 lbs to lose
    • 1 lb per week if you have 25-50 lbs to lose
    • 1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75 lbs to lose
    • 2 lb per week if you have 75+ lbs to lose