Fear of running?

I know this sounds dumb, but I "run funny." I didn't realize it until I was in first grade, and a boy told me that I looked weird when I run. Ever since then I've had a fear of running or jogging, especially in public. I don't know the proper form. I'm scared of looking like an idiot to everyone in the gym.

So I guess the question is: how do I teach myself proper form? I've tried Google and read several articles and instructions, but I'm not a visual learner and even the pictures/videos don't help. I'm really confused and a little nervous; however, I want to conquer this issue. I'm tired of walking and want to try it. Does anyone have advice?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited July 2016
    1. Run naturally. Changing your stride can lead to injury. Plus, there is no 'right way' to run. The only thing that is universal is to keep your stride short and quick (assuming you are not sprinting). You can land on your heel or mid foot, it doesn't make any difference.

2. You are not in first grade any more. Who cares if you 'run funny'. As a runner in several clubs I see all sorts of running styles. Sometimes I look and think 'how can they do that?' but I (and no one else) thinks it is 'funny'. Just different.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i might suggest going to the local running store and check out workshops and running groups. lots of great advice.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Not many of us look good when running so I wouldn't worry about it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited July 2016
    Everyone runs funny...

The end

^^Truth. (Races walking is even funnier.....)

I'll second the suggestion of finding a learn-to-run group if there's one in your area.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I think we need a video for proper analysis
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    What evidence do you have that you are running "funny" or incorrectly? Do you think a 6 year old is really qualified to analyse your running technique?

Sometimes a single comment sticks with us for far longer than it should. Time to let it go. Your run is likely "normal" and you look just like everyone else. Sweaty, tired and awesome!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited July 2016

Only fitness models in ads look good running. I look shuffly, sweaty, and my face turns a shade close to a beet after 2 minutes. I still love it though!

Even pros look funny.
    paula_radcliffe_785436c.jpg
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 111 Member
    I didn't run for over 10 years, (except your occasional random short distance example: playing with children) but for real running it had been a while and I, myself, was afraid of what people would think of me at the gym. Although I'm still afraid to run on the treadmill (because I'm afraid I'll fall) I finally realized that people at the gym don't care what I look like (and to that one person who might: too bad, don't look!).

They are too busy working theirselves. They are focused on their journey and listening to their music. They may look at you but they really don't care. Now you may get the occasional person that might notice you have the wrong form, they may come help you. But they may notice it and then move on without saying anything.

I'm a people watcher so I do look at others at the gym, but because of their form or inspiration. If someone that may be bigger than me, slower than me, etc. my thought goes straight to "way to go! If you can do it, so can I!"

I read an article recently that we are too worried that strangers are thinking about us. (Example that you are thinking about me) but unless we are talking face to face, that thought doesn't last longer than a couple of seconds.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    In Grade One, several kids still ate paste. It's time to let this one go. Besides, even if you do "look funny" it might be natural for your body. Time to stop worry about what others thing and start being your own fabulous self. Learn from Phoebe. 7f12cb6197e3c1754fd6fdd1f3925377.jpg
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    We all look goofy when exercising to some extent. Ever been to a triathlon? Bunch of 30 and 40+ year old guys in spandex and weird helmets. Quite the show :)

Don't worry about your running form, just run however feels natural. Trust me nobody will care, or even notice, what your running form looks like.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    My dad used to run marathons and he is pigeon toed. Maybe just be more excited about running and less worried about form. Not sure any of us look sexy when running.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    im not a runner, I really like the idea of being able to go out and run though so when I was at the gym I started the c25k on the tread mill.

feeling like a complete nob head with a 6ft + god on the tread mill next to me who had been running for almost an hour.

I didnt let this stop me, I put my head phones in, music on and went for it.

when I finished, face glowing purple, sweat running off me like i was stood in the shower and reathing and grunting like I was in labour.....said god next to me gave me a wink and said "good effort, well done"

first I felt like an even bigger nob for the fact he had actually been taking notice of what I was doing, but then I thought "no, take the praise and us it to keep you going"

now I look nothing less than rediculous when running, my whole body wobbles, I turn purple a few mins in and have little legs (5"4) so my running speed is like a taller person moderate walk hahaha

bite the bullet chick, just go for it and forget about anyone else, just run how you run and enjoy it
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Run in the dark
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    1. Run naturally. Changing your stride can lead to injury. Plus, there is no 'right way' to run. The only thing that is universal is to keep your stride short and quick (assuming you are not sprinting). You can land on your heel or mid foot, it doesn't make any difference.

2. You are not in first grade any more. Who cares if you 'run funny'. As a runner in several clubs I see all sorts of running styles. Sometimes I look and think 'how can they do that?' but I (and no one else) thinks it is 'funny'. Just different.

^^ This plus

Look as far ahead as you can, not at your feet, this will keep your back straighter and stop you hunching forwards and help keep your breathing easier.

Try and keep your shoulders relaxed, shake your arms out if you start to feel them scrunching up.

We all run funny, don't let it stop you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Who spends their time watching you? If I were in the gym with you, I would not watch you or evaluate your running. When I go to the gym, I'm just trying to make it through my own routine, not judging others! Even though I make my own efforts at running, I'm always envious of others who are running because I assume they are doing much better than me. ha ha.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I started out C25K on my treadmill in March, but realized that I was getting increasingly bored and irritated on it. However, I was nervous about running outside; people could *see me* as I ran like a newbie, possibly trip over myself, etc. I braved the outside world, and haven't used the treadmill in a couple months. You get used to running outside. Just think... you're going faster than every person sitting on the couch :smiley:
  • mellyrunsfar
    mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
    Our bodies were made to run. It's an incredible gift to be able to do so. Choose to overcome your fear. Show 'em who runs your body! Best of luck.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Meh. Everyone looks funny when they run. I live in Madison, WI, where EVERYONE runs and you should see some of them. Cracks me up.

But who cares, right? It's better than nothing and they're running laps over everyone sitting on the couch eating chips.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    I was 275 lbs when I started running. I remember one day in particular when I went to our local track to run, and a group of muscular guys were playing football on the field. As I go out to run they started making fun of me, calling me "double cheeseburger" and other names. I just kept my head up, acted like I didn't hear them, and kept running. I ended up running my best run up to that point that day.

Since then, I've gotten down to 155, have completed many 5K's, 10K's, Half-Marathon's and have even place in my age division in many of those. My fastest mile is 5:43.

I say all of that to say this, don't let fear of how you look to others keep you from running. You CANNOT let other people's thoughts about you keep you back! It's your life, not theirs!