Not over drinking!

Options
I was looking to see how members do not over drink. I notice as soon as I start eating better I guzzle water. I drink 4 liters a day (total liquid) when eating right I do not know why. When I'm not eating right it's under 3 and mostly pop and juice.

I also notice I pee over 10 times a day and it's 100% clear and I know it's not suppose to be 100% clear.

The think is i have high blood pressure and I notice when i eat better and guzzle water my bp acts up. So I googled it and found some people who drink more fluids there bp will rise as more fluid in body but some people's don't. I also found out that if you drink lots of water you should increase salt a bit as to not throw off your electrolytes and I think that is my problem.

My question is, is 3 liters enough liquid I know most say drink when thirsty but I sit and drink from a big bottle all day I would not even know how to tell if I'm thirsty anymore(I know sounds weird).

Thanks for any advice and maybe you could share how much total fluids you drink daily.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    So, don't drink from a big bottle.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Water? Not a problem. Pop with sugar and juice of sweet things can easily be a problem. As Eddie Huang says in the Sprite commercial, obey your thirst. Just don't guzzle the sugar drinks. I consume at least 64 oz of coffee, water, and occasionally tea each day. None of my drinks have added sugar.
  • bigmangettingsmall
    bigmangettingsmall Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Water? Not a problem. Pop with sugar and juice of sweet things can easily be a problem. As Eddie Huang says in the Sprite commercial, obey your thirst. Just don't guzzle the sugar drinks. I consume at least 64 oz of coffee, water, and occasionally tea each day. None of my drinks have added sugar.

That's under 2 liters daily. I thought we need more then that but guess I thought wrong.
  • bigmangettingsmall
    Options
    And also how many times should one pee daily it's 5:33 where I live I drank over 3 liters of water and used bathroom about 8 times so far.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The "8 cups" advice that mfp gives is basically a meme that has persisted in social consciousness for several recent decades. No-one can find actual data proving the volume to be necessary. There is some data supporting the value of 8 cups daily in preventing kidney stones, but the data is stronger supporting the value of daily cranberry juice in preventing kidney stones. Cranberry juice is highly acidic and the only way it is offered commercially is in a sugary drink. Once a person already has had a kidney stone, a doctor will advise them to consume cranberry juice regularly. If you fear the stone, you might choose to budget 4 to 8 oz daily of cranberry juice. Or, you might just drink at least 64 oz. of water. It's difficult to drink enough water to cause toxicity. 4 liters daily isn't going to do it.

One of the last human liberties we have in the industrialized, socialized countries of the West is the very personal choices of frequency of urination. I dare not tread on your privilege.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP, just drink water until your pee is straw yellow. Anything over that to clear is a bit too much. And no need to guzzle water just sip on it throughout the day.

A person can drink to much (and I do not mean water intoxication) but you can flush all the the electrolytes out of your system by over drinking. This causes an imbalance just like not drinking enough.

So no need to drown in water, you can also use coffee, tea, diet soda, fruit, etc as part of your water count for the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I thought this was about alcohol.

I assumed that's what it would be too.

OP, if it's a BP issue, talk to your doctor or just try drinking less. I always drink a lot if I have water with me, but if it were causing problems I'd drink less. As for peeing, I don't really see that as a choice: pee when you have to pee.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I thought this was about alcohol.

I did too a first. Then I was disappointed that it was about good old refreshing water! sigh :(
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking things...... Talk to your dr if you are worried about BP, drink water when you are thirsty and stop looking at your pee and counting how many times a day you do that......It's really not that important and it is a little weird.
  • bigmangettingsmall
    Options
    It's not a bp issues I'm more or less asking am I drinking too much water. Thx
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Do you need a sippy cup?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    This is a common question and this other thread also got some useful replies so maybe it'll help you

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10403799/guzzle-water
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Who says it's not supposed to be 100% clear? Where'd you hear that one? It's not true.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Who says it's not supposed to be 100% clear? Where'd you hear that one? It's not true.

If it is completely clear you are over hydrated which can result in hyponatremia which can be fatal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 litres a day, so I don't think it's too much. I've traded most of my boredom eating for boredom drinking.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And also how many times should one pee daily it's 5:33 where I live I drank over 3 liters of water and used bathroom about 8 times so far.

I drink a lot of cups of tea, plus 3 or so Litres of water when it's summer. I pee every 30-40 minutes and get up once sometimes twice during the night.
  • jimzajc
    jimzajc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As an Army veteran I will say you are well hydrated since your urine is clear. There is a MEME out there that says that. However, on the serious note if you suspect health issues consult your doctor.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

This. Don't worry about people saying things about hyponatremia. It would take drinking 3-6 liters of water within 1 or 2 hours to get that. I used to drink 4-5 liters per day (1 liter straight in the morning) and pee every 30 min- 1 hr 100% clear. I may drink 2 liters of tea/diet coke during a single movie sitting.

As for BP, you have to ask your doctor about it. In my experience, I'd say check your sodium/potassium intake if you think excess water is causing these problems.