New Beginning...

Options
htoney
htoney Posts: 3 Member
I've been on a life-time journey to lose weight. I've found so many things that work--very few things that work forever. I have reached an all-time high and I'm so sick of being overweight. I want a healthy lifestyle so badly-now more than ever. I'm praying that this journey will be successful and productive. Where do I start with this? What tips can you give me? I have a gym membership--which is a good start. I drink lots of water.

I want to lose as much weight as I can over the next year. My husband and I are going to try to start a family next summer--and I want to look and feel my best as we begin the next chapter of our lives. I welcome any and all advice!

Replies

• mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    lots of protein! Low sugar and only complex carbohydrates. Eat often, and don't skip breakfast! It gets your metabolism started after having nothing in your system for 8-10 hours. Don't skip meals...it forces your body to think that you are starving it! Workout! Be sure to give yourself at least one day off a week to rest and recover. I am a creature of habit. I knew that when I started walking...and then eventually running, that if I could find an excuse not to do it on Monday..I could also find an excuse not to go again on Tuesday, so I didn't let myself NOT go and walk or run. Use MFP..it helps

feel free to friend me if you have any other questions
    =)
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to start , it really helps to keep an eye on what you eating. I have consumed loads in the past even though i thought i was being healthy!! And also have a read through some of the weight loss stories on here they are really inspiring . Good luck!!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    One thing that I'm finding helpful right now is getting advice from a professional nutritionist. I asked the wellness coordinator at the YMCA that I use for a recommendation, and she hooked me up with her. She made a simple plan for me that I'm finding easy to track and stick with -- for now, at least. She charged me $60 for a one-hour first visit, five weeks ago, and $30 last week for a shorter follow-up. That doesn't seem very expensive to me -- in fact, I'm sure I saved more than that during the last five weeks on the fast-food stops I didn't make, the carryout pizza not carried out, and so forth. (She also put me onto MFP as an easy online way to track food, which I've found it to be.) So, you might think about giving that a try.

Anyway, best of luck with that family project! If you want to start a "friends" list, feel free to add me. I live in your state (although at the north end).
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome. well done on taking this step to a healthy life. im sure you will be succesfull. you will find lots of support and help on here. having lots of friends helps too. dont be afraid to add as many as you like.
    my partner and myself are also going to be trying for another baby once i lose all my weight.
    feel free to add me if you like.
    good luck with everything