can i stay on track without mfp

Options
i am going on a 2 week holiday starting next week and i am apprehensive.I will have no access to a computer or I phone [dont have one] I havnt been with mfp long and i dont want to slip up this early in the game.I am determined to succeed but i am losing weight quite slowly, 1 pound per week, 2 pounds so far.How can i keep my food intake level and manage to enjoy the holiday without undoing my good work so far.Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    You can do it!:bigsmile:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Be MINDFUL of what you are eating. Try to get some exercise in. You can do it. :smile:
  • Hermione35
    Hermione35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    small meals. watch portion sizes. if you go out to eat, look for menu items that are weight watcher/low calorie items. Drink LOTS of water, eat fresh fruits and veggies for snacks. Don't graze.

Keep a food diary each day of what you eat - even if you aren't sure of a serving, keep track of the foods themselves.

and don't forget some exercise! Take a walk - go sightseeing, window shopping, etc.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Take a notebook and write down what you are eating. Record exercise too.
  • fuzzbugjr
    fuzzbugjr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Watch your portions. Try to choose healthier options. Maybe, for example, baked fish instead of fried; baked potato instead of fries. Try to get some exercise in, even if you have to walk in place for a while. Try to have some fresh fruits and veggies.
    Above all, enjoy your holiday.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    you should be able to do it. just make sure, you take a notepad with you or notebook and a pen or pencil and write down what you ate...

if you know how many calories you ate from there just put it in. if you dont know. thats fine.. but by looking at this will help you keep on track. like okay maybe i should lay off this for a while.

it helps to buy some protein bars so you dont just snack on anything that you shouldnt be snacking on.
    you can also plan ahead of the day.

dont worry if you have one or two meal in the 2 weeks that just enjoyable.
    if you have time to workout within those days you should be able to at least maintain the weight without gaining.
    stay away from fast food, if you do want to eat out. i would say subway or any healthy place that has salads.

these will help you.

so track your food
    keep in check with yourself
    and dont cheat yourself for getting more than what you shouldnt be eating.

♥ hope that helps

P.S. maybe who knows before you know it you lost the weight.

i was gone for 3 days ... and i manage to lose a lb in just 3 days... cause i wrote what i ate and tried to stay within my calories range (which was 1800) but now i put it down to 1500
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    get yourself a notebook and a calorie book and log like you would if you were here Before you leave write down what your nutrition goals are so you know what to shoot for.

you can do it!!! and then have fun!!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you could somehow print out your food log, you could take it with you for reference. I don't see a tool for it, but maybe you could do some screen prints for a few of your days.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Is it a vacation where you will be eating out most or family cooked meals by someone else?

Or a vacation where you have your own kitchen and make most of your own meals? If so, this one is easier...just pen and paper.

Also maybe figure out how many minutes at what speed when walking you burn X amount of calories so you can sort of calculate at the end of the day.

If eating out, just order half a plate, split a plate with someone else or order off the kid's menu. I do all four of these. I also stay away from the fried foods. You can always ask for their nutrional values. I think most will provide them.

So, basically, still eat smaller portions, be mindful of how food is prepared.

You can also buy small paperback books with caloried counts. Might be worth picking up before leaving?
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like the notebook idea. What kind of vacation will you be on? Do you plan on eating out every meal? Will you be on a cruise? What are the opportunities for exercise? Will there be grocery stores accessible? Are you traveling with just family? A group? A tour? I would devise a plan based on the type of vacation.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    If you could somehow print out your food log, you could take it with you for reference. I don't see a tool for it, but maybe you could do some screen prints for a few of your days.

you can i have done it myself
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Back in the day before computers and smart phones, you used to be able to find calorie booklets in the checkout line at grocery stores. You could find one of those and just track manually. You'll have to estimate a lot but if you are really concerned that might be the way to go.

OR it's a vacation. Be as good as you can without keeping track, just make the healthiest choices possible, and get back on the wagon when you come home.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    How often does a person get to take a week or so off for vacation? I get one week off a year and i really don't count squat. I don't eat nothing like i used to but i still eat good tasting fat food. The difference is i eat about 1/3 of what i used to. Oh i'm gonna party ie drink on vacation all i want. I'm not concerned about weight gain since vacation is not an every week occurence. Vacation is to let loose not give a **** about anything and have fun before we have to come back to our daily lives ;). Just have fun
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try to track your calories like you would any other time, keep a journal like the others said. If you bite it you write it, that includes liquids, if you drink it you write it. Try to stay away from buffets, but if you can't, do tablespoon portions of each item that you are getting. Stay away from the bread and butter, do a teaspoonful of gravy. Stick to the fruit and vegetable part, and go very easy on the dressings because they are very high in calories (and sorry, but yes, even their fat free dressing has calories, i used to work in a buffet style restaurant). When it comes to desserts, just a taste will do. Another trick is to drink a glass of water before you eat, and as you eat.....( the point is, to fill your stomach with the water so you don't fill up on unnecessary calories/carbs). I leave on Friday for a 10 day vacation, I will have no gym and no way to weigh in, I am flipping out. I have my meals planned (I am starting the slim fast diet plan while I am gone so I am sure not to mess up my progress) I am taking grapes, individual applesauces, and my 100 calorie juice cans. Good Luck, and my thoughts will be with you.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone i will get a note book and pen and calorie book if i can find one.LOTS OF REALLY HELPFUL ADVICE AND FANTASTIC SUPPORT I FEEL MUCH MORE RELAXED NOW LOL