Doing the splits...

Jessabelle12
Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I've allllways wanted to do the splits... can you "train" yourself to do them? If so does anyone know how...?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    stretch :D
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    My cheerleading coach in high school had us lay on our back with our butt against a wall and let our legs slide down the wall until they naturally stopped because they couldn't go further. Hurt like heck, but it stretched my legs out until I could finally do them!
  • ^^^ yes, stretch, stretch, STRETCH. That's pretty much all that you can do. Just work on your flexibility. I was a dancer in high school, and to get the girls to be able to do their splits, we stretched a lot. I'd stay a good 30 minute stretch a day would help. And stretching is easy. You can do it as you watch tv even.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Stretch. Start with as far as you can go and just keep working on it.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Here's a six-week programme to get you there :)
    http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    iv been trying to do them for years but with no luck =[
    might try some of the suggestions on here!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Stretch, rinse and repeat.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Stretch!
    I think it also depends on your turn out too. If your hips wont let you do it you can't :P Like when you sit down and do the butterfly, how far your legs go down is your turn out.
    So stretch and stretch a little more everyday and just teach your body(:
  • JoyCarter
    JoyCarter Posts: 37
    Thats my goal for this month--> to get at least one of my splits!! When I did dance team in my high school years, our dance teacher told us to hold each split for 3 mins or hold for one minute three times every night and we would eventually get them!! We should keep each other posted on our progress! =) Good luck!
  • BecomingSheRa
    BecomingSheRa Posts: 1 Member
    I can do the splits (am 32 and have two babies) and previously taught Acrobatics! Stretch after a bath, every day and you will eventually get there.x
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    I'm reading this website now..

http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html

and I am determined to make this dream of mine come true also!! Let's do it!! :)
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member

Im definitely going to follow this 'plan'.
    Iv done todays set of stretching!
    Although im a little confused with exactly what im being told to do with some of the positions...
    Im sure im doing it right tho, well i hope im doing it right =/
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Depending how old you are, be sure to stretch gently (especially at first) so that you don't tear anything.

The center split (one leg to each side) depends entirely on how your hip sockets are built. You either can get it or you can't - stretching can only get you so far before your bones will just get in the way. If you push past that point you will just strain and tear your ligaments.

The right/left split (with one leg going forward and the other leg going behind) is just a matter of hamstring flexibility to the front and psoas and hip flexor flexibility to the back. Anyone can get those. Try to keep your hips square (a really common way to cheat that's not very good for your body is to let the hip of the leg that is forward also go forward). Three minutes is a little long - you could tear something that way, especially if you are older than 15/16. I would do 45-60 seconds on each side, once or twice per day. Doing it after a warm shower or bath (or when you are warm from exercise) will help.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.