Need to stop smoking!!!

Options
I've been struggling with smoking cigs for years and every time I stop for a month or so for some reason I start back up again. When I quit I notice I eat non stop!
It is definitely not helping me lose weight because I'm too out of breath to exercise! Are there any former smokers out there that can give me some tips to quit?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    When I decided to quit, I replaced smoking with exercise. At first I just walked every time I wanted to smoke and gradually I added more exercise of more intensity.
    It was difficult for the first couple of weeks but I lost tons of weight instead of gaining, lol!
    I ended up eventually losing 66 pounds and getting very fit.
    I sucked on cinnamon sticks, pretzel sticks and chewed sugarless gum at first to help with the oral cravings. I also did deep breathing and drank lots of ice cold water.
    It's been 22 years and I despise smoking now.
    You can do it!
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started. Almost made it a week until I had a few beers, then five days and the same deal but it's been a rough week at work. I already got rid of the cigarette to and from work and that was huge. I replaced those smokes with Big Red but I realized it was burning my mouth :# . The patch works for me so far and I've got lozenges when I get a craving or even slightly annoyed :p Staying away from booze a little while too since its my main trigger :pensive:

So yeah, in short replace whatever your trigger is with something else. Something healthier. :)