I AM A NEWBIE

Options
hi everyone, I joined this site this morning after my daughter recommended it to me. I was horrified to learn how many calories i should be eating per day as up till now i have been dieting, and realised i am eating probably 800 cals less than my body needs per day and yet i still manage to out weight on!!!!!!
it is depressing to say the least. I have many health problems not least Lupus SLE and ceoliacs disease also a hole in my heart, so excercise for me is very difficult
so any advice, encouragement or support would be very warmly welcomed by me.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE ALSO ON THIS JOURNEY

Replies

• tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Kevster75
    Kevster75 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hiya and welcome to MFP!
    Best of luck in your journey to a happier you....

Taking your health issues aside, I think it's important to remember that the weight wasn't gained over a short time, so won't be lost over a short time.

And keep trying different things until you find something that works for you! :)
    There isn't one rule that fits all, except don't eat more than your body needs :) [But we're all guilty of that!]
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome. It isn't always about calorie intake :). It is also timing and what types of food you are eating. It sounds like your body is holding onto weight from being put into "starvation mode". Basically if your body knows it won't be fed at proper intervals it will hold onto excess fat. Always start your day with a healthy breakfast, make sure you have some protein at that point. Have a mid morning snack and then a healthy lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. As for exercising, even going on a nice comfortably paced walk will help. I hope some of this helps :)
  • fifijennings4
    Options
    Hii! Welcome to fitness pals.. sorry to hear about your health problems. a little exercise every day will help, even if its just a walk round the block so dont worry if you cant do heavy exercise! you can do it xx
  • Rmarshall1184
    Rmarshall1184 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You made a great step in trying this site out. I stumbled upon it, and my wife has made great progress since I showed it to her.
    It can be a pain to get used to entering everyday lol but it helps once you get used to it.

Eating too little can backfire and cause weight gain. In my opinion it is good to go really low occasionally but not for a long time. Body needs a jump start in calories and bump metabolism. Staying too low puts it in "famine" mode: it starts retaining fat bc it thinks it is starving.

I am not familiar with your health condition, but praise for trying to eat right despite the personal challenge. If you can't work out as hard, then just pay more attention to bursts of smaller work outs, or just going slow and steady consistantly.

Personal method: when I cant work out as hard, I cut carbs. Carbs are converted to fat if not used. And no, not Atkins-diet low (thats too low) but I lower it and replace those calories with protein or healthy fats (nuts).
  • lgwhizz
    lgwhizz Posts: 65
    Options
    Hello!
    I am only 2 weeks in myself - feel free to add me as a friend because we can all do with a little encouragement from time to time.
    I am an IBS sufferer (bit diff to ceoliac i know) but i at least can sympathise with tummy problems!!!
    Welcome and Good Luck!

xxx
  • bbyblu7
    bbyblu7 Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome....if your free check out my blog Accepting A Healthy Lifestyle!!!
  • bbyblu7
    bbyblu7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't know you, but I would like to be your friend!! LOL Yes, we can all use some encouragement!!
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options
    Welcome!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend :wink:
  • Angeleyezhoney
    Options
    Hi mum!!! ;-)