Withings Scale Said I have 39% body fat index?!

Options
Good morning all, This is my first discussion post,

I'm a bit confused because I weighed myself this morning, I was exactly 10st 13.02 (wooh *just* under 11 st ;-) ) but the scale said I have 39% fat index?! So apparently I'm obese.
I'm 5ft 4 and a size 10-12. I'm not really sure I'm obese. I class myself as chubby but everyone calls me small...Please help because I'm distraught!

Replies

• cookhazel93
    cookhazel93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, I was doing so up until this morning when I started googling and saw what people were saying I was very shocked. :/
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My scale this morning had me at 10.2 stone with 30.5% body fat. I am 5'3.

I'm still overweight and my body fat isn't fabulous but you can't really trust it. As long as the overall trend for body fat is going down then you know you are going in the right direction :)
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    omg. I can't believe I am 'overweight' :open_mouth::'(
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a great measure but your stats:

Female, 23 YO, height 5'4" weight 154 lbs puts you at 26.4 which is just inside the overweight category.

Drop 9 lbs and you'll be in normal.
    At your height and age you'd need to be 175 lbs (12 st 7lbs - a whopping 21 lbs more than you are now) to be in the obese category.

You are not obese and you are not a category or a number on a scale. :)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Seriously? It's not something to cry about and I find it hard to believe you ended up on MFP for a reason other than concern about your weight.
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Seriously? It's not something to cry about and I find it hard to believe you ended up on MFP for a reason other than concern about your weight.

That's a bit rude isn't it?
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It can be a shock when it actually dawns on you that you're bigger than you realised. Don't be disheartened though, because you're not obese and you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. You could probably get within the healthy band in a matter of months and you'd feel loads better about yourself so chin up! :smile:
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. :) I started out at very close to where you are - just under 5'4" and 149 pounds. ~32% body fat. As of this morning I am down 30 pounds and my body fat is ~22%. You can do this!
  • cookhazel93
    Options

I don't think so. I do think it's insensitive to go to a website that is filled with people who are overweight and obese and trying to lose weight and act like it's horrifying to be 8 pounds overweight. Distraught? Pfft.

Well apparently I am overweight so take your pfffts elsewhere this is meant to be a supportive community
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    sallykift wrote: »
    It can be a shock when it actually dawns on you that you're bigger than you realised. Don't be disheartened though, because you're not obese and you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. You could probably get within the healthy band in a matter of months and you'd feel loads better about yourself so chin up! :smile:

Thankyou for your supportive post when other persons are being mean :):) xx
  • Gingasi
    Gingasi Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I don't think so. I do think it's insensitive to go to a website that is filled with people who are overweight and obese and trying to lose weight and act like it's horrifying to be 8 pounds overweight. Distraught? Pfft.

MFP is meant to be a place of support/inspiration/sharing and caring for like minded folks with general fitness/health/wellbeing goals it's a real shame jemhh you have to troll people that is not cool.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have the same stats as you, im 5ft 4, same weight and clothes size but my scales say my body fat is 24%, I hope yours are inaccurate not mine haha!?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gingasi wrote: »

MFP is meant to be a place of support/inspiration/sharing and caring for like minded folks with general fitness/health/wellbeing goals it's a real shame jemhh you have to troll people that is not cool.

I'm sorry, what was the trolling here?

I don't think it's very supportive to act like eight pounds is some major tragedy when we have people where who are trying to lose much more weight. That's all that was being pointed out. If you expect support and caring, why not expect it from the OP as well?

Precisely, @janejellyroll.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing body fat % which the scale measures and body mass index which is a calculation of your weight and height. You can find the BMI calculator on the MFP desktop sure (sorry I don't know how to convert stones). For instance, at 5'5" and 185, my BMI is 30.8 but my BF% (from my Aria scale which isn't the most accurate) is 47%.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you, im 5ft 4, same weight and clothes size but my scales say my body fat is 24%, I hope yours are inaccurate not mine haha!?

Two people can be the same weight and height and have different body fat percentages. It's going to vary by person. Both of your scales could be accurate. Both could be inaccurate. One could be accurate and the other not.

Typically, a scale is not considered a very accurate way to determine body fat percentages.