Looking for ladies in their 40's

Options
I'm 1 month shy of 45 and keeping the weight off is so hard. I still would like to lose 20 to 30lbs any advice?

Replies

• kungabungadin72
    kungabungadin72 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just turned 44, I gained 25lbs after having surgery on my feet, and I am try to do the same. If you think I would do for a friend then add me.

The last time I was here, I lost 75 lbs, so we got this.
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep up with your daily food journal and weigh/measure everything. It's a little harder for women in our 40's, but definitely not impossible! Just maintain a calorie deficit and the pounds will eventually come off. It's very easy to eat more calories than you think you're eating, which is why the journal and accurately measuring your food helps a lot.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hey there kellyboyd! I'm 45 and I feel your pain! That metabolism can be a b! I gained 14 lbs between last Thanksgiving and Christmas! 1 Month! And it would not go away! Only time I gained was pregnancies, and before my gallbladder surgery in 2010. I lost 13 of the 14lbs w/in the past 2 months. I had to conduct a personal process of elimination. I have sluggish digestion, so reduced processed foods and started taking bile salts, reduce calories and carbs, reduce sodium (don't crave salty anymore), eat green, lots of water and exercise. I'm sure some fitness Guru's will chime in and give you sound advice soon! Good luck!
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, I'm 45 in September and I really struggle to lose weight. Not sure whether to blame it on age or wine! Lol. Add me if you like. I want to lose about 35kg x
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I am 43, presently I like my body just the way it is (174 lbs at 5'7", and a 0.67 waist to hip ratio) but unfortunately the BMI begs to differ, arguing I am clearly "overweight".
    Diabetes runs in my family and my fasting blood sugar is not exactly ideal - often in the mid 90's. As a result, I know I must lose weight though I am terrified my face will lose too much volume, my cheeks will further flatten and jowls will become quite prominent.
    I am more of a "face" person than "body-oriented type" and replacing weight loss-related facial volume with cosmetic fillers is not exactly my idea of looking young and good - even if I reach an officially normal BMI.
    I lose weight quite easily, even now in my 40's - so losing weight is not a struggle for me; but striking the balance between smaller body and a face that has not deflated completely - that's the struggle.

I love the way fuller, fatter faces keep that youthful bounce until late in life. At the same time, I am aware that internal markers of aging are more important than the external/cosmetic ones...so I guess...fasting blood sugars in the 80's in exchange of a bit of gaunt, slightly flat cheek is a deal I must accept. 200 people on one of those age-guessing sites awarded me a 33 yo average on a selfie photo in day light without make-up :-)...but somehow I still can't get over the "deflating cheek" syndrome I have noticed lately on my face.

Last year I had lost about 30 lbs, first due to illness (pneumonia), then I continued with diet and exercise until I reached the much longed for 24.5 BMI. At that upper-range normal weight, I look really thin and deflated so for me, a bit overweight has been the natural "normal" most of my life.

This past year, when life got in the way with work-related stress and associated lack of time, I put almost all weight back. So now I am back to 27 BMI and on my way back down.

Unfortunately I have had a few weight fluctuations within the 30 lbs range since I was in my early 20's mainly because it doesn't seem to be "normal" for me to keep a "normal" BMI.

My goal is now to lose only as much fat as necessary to keep my blood sugars regularly in the 80's - which would mean about 15 lbs at the most.
    The trick after that will be maintenance and stability - forever.

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 41 this month. I joined MFP 5 yrs ago and managed to lose 50 lbs in less than 8 months. Last year I completely fell off the wagon. My job relocated, I resigned, started a new relationship, relocated to So Cal and through all of the many changes my gym workout suffered and so did my eating. I'd since gained back every pound I'd lost plus 10 more. So here I am again starting all the way over and let me tell you the challenge is on. Today is my 19th day logging and my goal is to stay active here, log my food, watch my macros, keep carbs low, drink lots of water and get some workouts in. Even if it's just a walk with my dogs.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, fanceegirl75. The yo-yo situation drives me insane too.
    I found I can only keep myself on the right track when life is breezy, with much less stress, etc - which for me means summers, as my work slows down dramatically during the summer months.

When September kicks in (aka "stress", "work", "life"), everything goes south, including diet and exercise.
  • suz829
    suz829 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be 45 next month. I'm tall, but the pounds have crept on over the last few years and I can't believe how difficult it is to take them off (never used to be!)!!! I'm looking to lose 40-50 lbs and would love to do this with support this time. Please add me-- anyone in this thread!!! :)