Too much?

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked time and time again, but I have missed it. Is there such a thing as drinking TOO MUCH water? I drink it constantly, whether for health, weight loss or just because. I mostly drink water and hot tea, and sometimes end up quadrupling the daily amount, if not more. Could that ever be a bad thing? Other than the fact that I pee.. a lot.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You can internally drown IF you don't pee. As long as you're peeing, you should be fine. I drink at least 2 liters of water per day. I aim for about 5.
  • jesstguidry
    jesstguidry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    just make sure you are getting extra potassium...you could cramp up really badly.
  • JamiroJunior
    JamiroJunior Posts: 139
    Options
    It's possible, but it would have to be several gallons...
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You definatley can drink too much water.

check out this wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication can kill you dont drink more than 2 liters of water a day or participate in a water drinking contest.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I drink 128 ounces per day and am fine ;)
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

from http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
    ret. 7/4/11
  • GypsyWildflower
    Options
    Thanks for the information, and sites. I will get to reading!
  • jigglyporcupine
    Options
    You definatley can drink too much water.

check out this wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I agree ~ and love it when someone quotes from facts such as Wiki... I would like to add that you may want to check and make sure you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic, I've been told that can make you crave an abnormal amount of water. The blog below is from livestrong.com - web address following.

You might crave water for a variety of different reasons. It could just be a very hot day outside, and nothing but water will quench your thirst, or you could be suffering from a serious medical condition. If you begin to experience extreme cravings for water, see your doctor, who can eliminate various medical conditions and determine a proper diagnosis and whether something is wrong.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/447210-what-does-it-mean-to-crave-water/#ixzz1RBEFANCl
  • GypsyWildflower
    Options
    I've been an excessive water drinker most of my life.. I don't think it's diabetes, but I supposed that is always something to talk to my doc about. I just wanted to make sure I'm not overdoing it some days. I do space it out. The only time I drink a large amount all at once is following some of my medications that require it. One requires me to follow it with 32 ounces of water within five minutes.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication can kill you dont drink more than 2 liters of water a day or participate in a water drinking contest.

I've been drinking 6-8 liters of water a day for years and I'm fine. You'll KNOW if you are drinking too much water. If you get dizzy or anything then that's bad. Just listen to your body.