Tips to combat morning sickness?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Not sure if this the right place to ask...

I just started getting morning sickness from my pregnancy (and here I though since it didn't start right away I'd be one of the lucky ones). I've tried ginger ale, which just makes me feel worse. Anyone have any suggestions on how they combated morning sickness? It also is accompanied by awful heartburn and gas. Doctor prescribed zofran but it has done absolutely nothing.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest ginger or lemon candies, ginger cookies and crackers but if it is more serious maybe you can try "Sea Bands?" I didn't get a chance to try them with my last pregnancy but others say they really help!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    saltine crackers always worked for me. also try flat coke -- NOT diet. maybe some dry toast.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Ginger-Anti-Nausea-pieces-1-35-each/dp/B000K7B5FC
    This gum helped me a lot when I was going through chemo. I was one of the "lucky" ones who did not have morning sickness (although my vomit reflex was strong when I smelled certain things, lol), but I gave my extra to one of my co-workers who had bad morning sickness and it helped her. Good luck! It won't last forever :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Unisom and Vitamin B6.... Look it up. It worked miracles for me and the doctor approved it.
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always had jolly ranchers and mints to help with morning sickness. Taking my prenatal before bed seemed to help a little, too.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Ginger never was good for me but mints helped, to an extent. Your doctor might have other suggestions. Only thing that ever helped me was just sleeping or staying busy/distracted as much as possible and getting through it to the second trimester.

Congratulations!!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't have saltines or many hard candies (allergies). I do have gf crackers inn hand though, but they haven't been helping.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Saltines. Ginger. Take your prenatal vitamins on a full stomach (the taste of iron in the vitamins always set me off). I had to seriously reduce the amount of spicy or garlic-y food that I ate because that always set me off, too.
    Sipping flat Coca Cola.

Be careful with the Zofran--especially if it doesn't seem to be helping--its usage during pregnancy is actually off-label, and there are some pretty serious potential adverse reactions. A good friend of mine ended up with SJS and it was pretty horrifying.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/ucm230231.htm
  • ehrenlynae7
    ehrenlynae7 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sounds counter active but eating small frequent meals. The nausea was worse when I waited too long to eat. I ate something every 2-3 hours.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I know some people have success with Preggie Pops or sour candies like Sour Patch Kids.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I was going to suggest ginger or lemon candies, ginger cookies and crackers but if it is more serious maybe you can try "Sea Bands?" I didn't get a chance to try them with my last pregnancy but others say they really help!

I second this.
    My aunt found "Sea Bands" to be really helpful. I think there available at Target or Walgreens.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Many many years ago and light worlds away when I was pregnant, sugarless gum helped with the nausea and a low carb diet (once I could face food) helped with the heartburn.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I also used sea bands - they were helpful. Not a miracle, but helpful.

And I know this sounds weird, but I would smear a tiny bit of menthol under my nose sometimes. My sense of smell was INSANELY sensitive when I was pregnant. I didn't actually vomit very many times, I mostly just felt nauseous 24/7. But when I did throw up, it was always in response to some smell that pushed me over the edge (dog food, some dude's really strong cologne/b.o. combination, sharing an elevator with a smoker eating a banana.)
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Saltines and cold lemon water
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I might get hate for this. I had morning sickness as soon as I ate breakfast, then I'd vomit and it'd be gone for the day. I learned to eat something like a small bowl of Cheerios or Kix, throw-up, and be fine until the next morning.

Maybe try what works for when you're sick (and not preggo). Crackers (saltines, Wheat Thins, graham) or bread with ginger ale/7-Up work for me.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have to remain gluten free so a lot of cracker options aren't something I can have. I did get some gf ginger snaps and gf graham crackers.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    what helped for me was eating small meals/snacks throughout the day and never having an empty stomach.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ginger beer, ginger ale also are good
    zentrip helps with nausea. within 10 min

you might find mint and ginger combined such as in a tea will work for you

usually if i'm nauseous i like to sip mountain dew and eat potato chips with garlic salt
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Zofran, ginger and crackers didn't work for me either. Unisom and B6 helped but I could only take it at night, it made me too tired during the day. I also took my prenatals at night so I wouldn't get sick on them during the day.

I stuck to eating small, plain meals like pasta and chicken, rice, cheerios without milk, any fruit I could tolerate and really tried to listen to what my body wanted to eat. I avoided heavy, fatty meals like the plague, they always made me sick.
    I was also extremely sensitive to smell so I would dab mint or lemon on my collar, coat or a hanky so I could sniff that and not barf if a strong smell came my way. Sucking on anything, especially sour flavored did help.

If I knew I was going to throw up, to keep it from burning, I would eat a tums. Made everything coming back up much more pleasant and way less burning.
    For some reason I could only drink water if it was ice cold, had chunks of ice in it. And only poland springs, I couldn't stand tap water or any other bottled water. Morning sickness is weird.

Had it til 20 weeks with both girls, lost about 20lbs my first trimester from morning sickness. Hope you don't get the spitting thing too, that sucks.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My doc had me take a Zantac 150 every morning. Apparently my nausea was actually a side effect of excess stomach acid production. Weird, right? Worked like a charm.