6 net carbs- do I count carbs or net carbs?

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
So on myfitness pal, this counts actual carbs in a food. Mission® Carb Balance Flour Soft Taco Tortillas are an excellent source of fiber and contain 6g of net carbs per serving. But does myfitnesspal take this into effect or just gives me the full 19 carbs?

Replies

• McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's better to stay on track and be fully accountable for what you eat by counting the full carbs.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's really more of a personal question. What kind of diet are you doing specifically? Are you looking at low carb? Keto? For you personally, do you want to include your fiber carbs in your total carbs or not? MFP will log whatever you put in, so if you create a custom food entry for these, modified for net carbs and label it such, showing just six grams of carbs, then that's what it will record. Or if you show all 19, but want to track your fiber intake, you can just do a quick manual mental subtraction at the end of the day of your total carbs less your fiber carbs to arrive at your net carbs. In your settings, you can have MFP show you how much fiber you took in throughout the day, in case you haven't seen that.

It's really more of what you want to see that dictates how you use MFP. It's just a tool. It doesn't 'give' you anything.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    This depends. Some foods will erroneously advertise "Net carbs" based on removing all fiber and all sugar alcohols from total carbs (I'm looking at you, Quest!). The fact is that your body does absorb some sugar alcohols, so it is unfair to remove all of them when calculating net carbs. I use an estimate of 50% of sugar alcohols.

To answer your question, though, MFP will show the full carbs in your total carbohydrates and has a separate marker for fiber. You can customize your diary to show the fiber field if it isn't already displayed. Then you have to manually calculate. There might be another feature that calculates it for you in premium, but I don't know for sure... you might check into that if the math really bothers you.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Short answer: MFP counts total carbs, not net. I swapped out one of the standard categories and now track fiber so I can compare my total and net carb amounts.

Longer answer: It's personal preference if you want to count total or net. Some people try to stay under a certain number total, some deduct fiber. I recommend playing around with it and finding what works best for you.