Flexibility and squat depth

Options
I am on week 9 of Strong Curves and am still struggling with squat depth. I am really only doing half squats and when I try to go lower then my back rounds and shoulders hunch up. After some research it seems that I really need to foam roll, especially hip flexors (have been using for a warm up, but probably not thoroughly enough).
Has anyone done anything else that helped improve their flexibility with squats?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am on week 9 of Strong Curves and am still struggling with squat depth. I am really only doing half squats and when I try to go lower then my back rounds and shoulders hunch up. After some research it seems that I really need to foam roll, especially hip flexors (have been using for a warm up, but probably not thoroughly enough).
    Has anyone done anything else that helped improve their flexibility with squats?

It could be mobility related in the hips or often in the ankles (lack of ankle mobility can cause movement issues elsewhere) and it can also be balance related.

I would look into some of Dean Somerset's material since it may help you assess. There are a few tests you can do to help diagnose where the problem could be occurring.

One simple thing to check would be to try goblet squatting to see if you can get significantly lower. If so, it's possible that the issue is proprioceptive and not necessarily (or exclusively) mobility related.

Look for Dean's material and also check out the rockback test, it could be relevant here.
  • SerenaMcD43
    SerenaMcD43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into Dean Somerset. I was doing goblet squats in the programme before starting with barbell squats last week. I can squat to parallel with goblets but no matter how hard I try, I can't stop my back from rounding. I thought that might suddenly change using the barbell but it hasn't; I also thought practice would make perfect but that didn't happen either.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I started squatting, I couldn't get half way down. Now I can almost touch the floor with my glutes and my back is straight, shoulders back. What I did and still do to maintain mobility are:

Foam roller legs and back especially the lumbar (use a black roller only. The white is way too soft to do any good)
    Lacrosse ball roll on glutes and lats (I won't lie, this still hurts, but it works)
    Cable hip rotation
    Clams with resistance band
    Lateral walk with resistance band
    Cable and resistance band leg lifts
    Side to side and front to back leg swings
    Hip bridge

My son, a trainer and powerlifter who squats in the 500's corrected my approach to the bar. He had me lower the bar on my traps, pinch my shoulder blades together (similar to the shoulder blade squeeze for a row) and then just before lifting up on the bar drop my elbow. The change was very helpful as I feel more balanced and in control under the bar.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    After some research it seems that I really need to foam roll, especially hip flexors

No one can diagnose your particular form issue with seeing you. Either upload a form check video, or hire a personal trainer. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

how wide is your stance? try widening your stance and think about opening at the hips rather than bending your knees. Also look into using a suspension trainer like a TRX to assist your squats, it will help you loosen up and get the flexibility and keep your form correct while you build up strength.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    After some research it seems that I really need to foam roll, especially hip flexors

No one can diagnose your particular form issue with seeing you. Either upload a form check video, or hire a personal trainer. :+1:

nods- otherwise we are just spouting off "typical" cues for "typical" problems.
  • jgubdlach
    jgubdlach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If your back rounds it's a flexibility or range of motion issue. Tight hip flexor will not cause rounding of back. Look more to trying to loosen and stretch calves,hamstrings, along with the rest of your body. Looks like to me you need to regress and increase flexibility and range of motion before you squat with weight.
  • jgubdlach
    jgubdlach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jgubdlach wrote: »
    If your back rounds it's a flexibility or range of motion issue. Tight hip flexor will not cause rounding of back. Look more to trying to loosen and stretch calves,hamstrings, along with the rest of your body. Looks like to me you need to regress and increase flexibility and range of motion before you squat with weight.

Rounding of lower back that is
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, are you considering a half-squat? Do you mean that your thighs go to parallel, not all the way to the ground? If so, that's fine. Or do you mean that you're only going down a few inches?

Good squat depth:
    tumblr_m4uj4aeFqu1qdcvmc.jpg
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    mobility, mobility, mobility. Check out Kelly Starrett, he has a YouTube channel. I have arthritis in my knees and thought I would never be able to get parallel, instead of just doing basic stretching, I started focusing on specific movements working on my hips, calves and ankles. Not only have my depth improved greatly, so have my knees.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you can sit in a low chair with your back straight and feet on the floor, you can squat lower than half way. It's likely not as much a flexibility issue as it is a form issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    jgubdlach wrote: »
    Disagree. If it rounds, it's a form issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options

Your hip flexors are what helps you get down into a deep squat, so that is not the issue.

If you can goblet squat to full depth, then it's not a mobility issue.

Stick with the goblet or front squat until your strength/stability improves.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    she needs to post a video, Its definitely a form issue but finding out the reason behind that form issue needs to be determined. i see beginners squat and instead dropping straight down and loading up their legs and glutes they lean forward and load up their back, its just kinda a natural instinct for an untrained lifter , which is totally wrong (and unsafe) but it just takes time to train your body to lift with your legs, and to build up the strength in them so you dont recruit back muscles for anything other than stability.

One way to work on form is to squat like this like facing a wall, to keep your chest up and back straight.
    i8setj5jasdg.jpg
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Newbie here compared to everyone else so take this for what it's worth, I was having issues with depth (not back rounding). Mine was a flexibility issue since I have a brand, spanking new hip. I lightened my load on the barbell and worked on form and flexibility. Once I had a lighter load I was able to go a little deeper. I'm still not at parallel, but I am *this* close.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I keep my feet unusually close together when squatting - like about 6-inches apart. Otherwise, I feel it in my groin and my knees instead of where I should, and I can't go nearly as deep.

Everyone's different, though. Some say that widening your stance can help you go deeper. So try different foot placement and if a different position helps you go lower.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Newbie here compared to everyone else so take this for what it's worth, I was having issues with depth (not back rounding). Mine was a flexibility issue since I have a brand, spanking new hip. I lightened my load on the barbell and worked on form and flexibility. Once I had a lighter load I was able to go a little deeper. I'm still not at parallel, but I am *this* close.

I have a new hip also, not brand spanking new, but in the last 5 years. I think I am more afraid of going deeper into the squat than anything else. Angling my fee out some has helped though. I will not even try to fix someone elses form, more here to see what everyone else has to say...see if I can get deeper on my own squats.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Your hip flexors are what helps you get down into a deep squat, so that is not the issue.

If you can goblet squat to full depth, then it's not a mobility issue.

Stick with the goblet or front squat until your strength/stability improves.

Agreed with the bold. It's more likely a proprioceptive/balance issue if you can hit depth when the load is placed in front.
  • SerenaMcD43
    SerenaMcD43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for everyone's responses. @amyrebeccah I have been rushing through warmup and not incorporated everything, but today I did it thoroughly. I found that after my workout today, I did not feel stiff at the hips like I usually do.
    @SideSteel I added some of Dean Somersets stuff into warmup. It was interesting to find with ankle wall stretch that my left ankle was fine but my right one felt really tight.
    @SonyaCele I really like the idea of using the suspension trainer. I have one so I am going to start doing that along with wall squats.
    I will try to post a video at the weekend. Thanks again to everyone who answered :)
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    do this, and keep your chest up, use your arms just to assist only as much as needed. Focus on squeezing your glutes to power the lift.

u3cnv48ilp3r.jpg