Protein Shakes

Options
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to MFP and ww. I see alot of posts about protein shakes, but don't know anything about them ... are they meal replacements or supplements, why do we need that much more protein? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Protein can help build muscle can make you feel full longer, you can use it as a meal replacement. I like to have one after a workout or as a snack later after dinner and mine tastes like milk shakes.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to MFP and ww. I see alot of posts about protein shakes, but don't know anything about them ... are they meal replacements or supplements, why do we need that much more protein? Thanks for any help!

It's also a good way to get in a healthy snack between meals. I highly recommend, http://www.t-nation.com/store/categories/protein-and-bars.jsp for quality. I believe they have 2 low-carb shakes. If you don't want a low-carb shake then by the vanilla and add some of your favorite fruit to it. Delisc... :)
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I usually have one for breakfast. As a diabetic, I find I do better with a higher protein to carb ratio...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I use mine after I workout to help rebuild muscle and keep me stay full until the next meal. My base calories are set at 1400 so before exercise I'm aiming for about 80g of protein, after exercise, it ends up around 100g. I can use all the help getting there as I can! Protein makes up most of the muscle (along with water), helps rebuild muscles, keeps you from being too sore after a work out, keeps you fuller longer, etc.
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Everyone that has responded is correct, protein powders are a great way to get in a quick meal (i.e. breakfast, snack etc.) and keep your metabolism going while fueling your body with quality nutrition.

I would recommend Syntha-6 or IsoPure protein powders.

IsoPure is low in sugar content and carbs, also tastes great.
    - I like the Mint Chocolate or Dutch Chocolate. Throw in a banana or a few strawberries with water or milk, handful of ice...yummy treat on a hot day!

Syntha-6 is great tasting and is the first protein powder I became hooked to.

Try it out, and play with putting different things in your shake. I would definitely recommend a "ProShaker" shaker, it keeps the protein out of the water until you are ready to drink it. Keeps the protein from getting clumpy if you don't want to drink it till later in the day and it's super convenient.

Good luck!
  • Way2Slick
    Way2Slick Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm doing a one scoop shake with breakfast every morning and on days I'm going to lift I try to get another one scoop shake in within an hour of going to the gym and then a 2 scoop shake as soon as I can after lifting and usually make a chicken breast or 2 (depending on appetite, usually only one). The protein will help your muscles recover faster and strengthen them. General rule of thumb is to take in 1 - 1 &1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight to preserve/build muscle. Personally I never get up quite that high but on a lift day I average about 155 grams of it throughout the day.

Also protein is good for anyone but that volume of intake isn't really necessary while strictly trying to lose weight.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I prefer using a higher carb shake to rebuild after a workout. If you're doing anything intense you should be looking at something like 3:1 or 4:1 carbs to protein to really help you out. Your body uses carb as it's first line of energy, so it depletes a lot quicker than protein. My personal favorite is the P90X Results and Recovery Formula. I did a half-marathon back in Feb, drank it within the hour after the finish, and recovered in less than two days. Anything with that ratio should really work well.