Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pushing yourself to far

How do you know if your pushing your self to far when working out? Some work outs I struggle to get the last couple reps out but I'm not giving up and pushing to get them. For example bicep curls. Is this a case that may cause injury and I should just take the loss of the last couple reps or continue to push through.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    If you are struggling to get the last few reps and your form is being compromised, I would suggest stopping because you may risk injuring yourself.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Lifting to failure is a pretty normal thing to do. Done properly, you lift until your muscles are simply unable to perform another rep and you put the weight down. No risk of injury. However, if your form is breaking down (ie during curls, you start swinging the weights, using momentum, leaning backwards, etc) then its best to just stop.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Well said. Thanks.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    If your form starts to break down, stop. If you need to lower the weight, do so. If you need to stop completely, do so. Listen to your form and your body. If your form is not breaking down, push yourself. Those last three or four reps do more for muscle growth. Hope that helps.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    If your form starts to break down, stop. If you need to lower the weight, do so. If you need to stop completely, do so. Listen to your form and your body. If your form is not breaking down, push yourself. Those last three or four reps do more for muscle growth. Hope that helps.

Thanks that's a great way of looking at it.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree form is very important. I hurt both of my elbows doing chin ups and not keeping my wrists straight. That was months ago, right arm is fine but the left is still not healed. Best to stop if form is getting bad. Now because of the elbow I have to focus more on dips, pushups and those types of upper body calisthenics. That isn't as good since nothing works the shoulders and upper back like pull ups. (Plus just how big of triceps does one really need?)

With body weight calisthenics, failing a rep isn't a big deal. When you get to that point just switch to doing negatives or to a different position that is easier. Negatives aren't that useful with the easy exercises like push ups, but there are many ways to reduce the effort a push up takes.