Back pain with Ab exercises

Options
Anytime I do my ab workout my lower back hurts and I can't really feel my abs being targeted. I've made sure I have proper form, so I don't really know what to do :/

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What ab work are you doing? Sufficient to do compound lifts to strengthen your core, push ups, pull-ups etc without specific crunches, which can result in back pain
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are you doing? Sit-ups and traditional crunches are a waste of your time and are going to do exactly what you are describing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i never feel my abs being targeted when i'm doing ab exercises. I just do them and trust they are firing up and getting worked. Don't do exercises that hurt your back , there are a zillion ab exercises to choose from. pick ones that are easier on your back.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another who doesn't love ab isolation work. I do it if it's in a workout but I'd be happy to never do them, compound movements are more than enough. I have to modify a lot of variations anyway due to a hip issue.

So yeah, if it urts not in a good way don't do it and if you're not also doing work to strengthen your back in unison then especially don't do it.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? Lower back pain is usually from improper form.
  • MissingLink240
    MissingLink240 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just said in my post that my form is proper.
  • MissingLink240
    MissingLink240 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really want help from rude people thank you.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Then don't do your ab workout.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Get off the internet, and see your doctor. Maybe your doctor will tell you whatever you want to hear as the answer.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Three responders ask you what exercises you are doing. Two of them give helpful advice, one has not read your post properly, or is not convinced that your form is proper, which is indeed a tiny bit of a dick move.

You have chosen to a) not respond to the two helpful inquiries, b) not respond to the OTHER two helpful responses that didn't ask what you're doing but are trying to be helpful.

I would recommend you answer the question: what exercises are you doing?

And I second the recommendation to go to a doctor or personal trainer, if you have the access and means.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I just said in my post that my form is proper.

i would say your form isn't proper, or you wouldn't be having back issues.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll take "rude people's" advice. I get a sore lower back from doing sit-ups and crunches. I don't know if my form is poor. What other core exercises can I do?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little humility might help OP?

Doing ab exercises and not feeling your abs being targeted - if a stranger told you that would you suspect their form was maybe, just maybe, not perfect?
    Then add getting lower back pain - hmmm, makes me wonder.

It could be you have a back condition but that won't be diagnosed over the internet.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What abs exercise are you doing? Help us help you.

There is a huge list of potential exercises. Off the top of my head:
    Abs don't move: Planks, weighted planks, side planks, abs wheel rollouts
    Abs move: crunches, sit ups, incline sit up, leg raises (hanging or lying down), captain chair, cable crunches

Try the exercises where the abs are stationary - this forces you to engage the core instead of potentially carrying it over to other parts of your body like the lower back. This usually happens when you don't engage the abs (due to weakness or inexperience) and the stronger body parts pick up the slack.

My recommendation is planks to start - forces you to engage your abs with (hopefully) minimal back issues. IF you don't feel any back pain, put a 25lbs plate on your back do 3 sets of 30 to 60 seconds - you WILL feel it in your abs, and if you don't, you will feel it where you are actually engaging the muscles.

And lastly, be nice to the people online. Everyone is trying to help you and I have not read a single rude comment.

Cheers
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my guess is that your lower back is weak. planks will help with that as well
  • cocogoddess79
    cocogoddess79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anytime I do my ab workout my lower back hurts and I can't really feel my abs being targeted. I've made sure I have proper form, so I don't really know what to do :/

Make sure touch don't have a back peoblem. I was having the same problem and my doc discovered a herniated disc. I wear a back support to exercise and only do the exercises she gave me that can be safely done according to where my back is injured.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Following along on the off chance that this thread goes anywhere. I too have lower back issues that are bothered by things like hanging leg raises and ab roll-outs. Crunches don't bother me.

I'm assuming it's a muscle imbalance that I'm trying to correct with a more well-rounded core workout and higher volume/lower weight.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Following along on the off chance that this thread goes anywhere. I too have lower back issues that are bothered by things like hanging leg raises and ab roll-outs. Crunches don't bother me.

I'm assuming it's a muscle imbalance that I'm trying to correct with a more well-rounded core workout and higher volume/lower weight.

I am thinking you may have too much swing to the hanging leg raises. If that is the case I would concentrate on no swing. Let the abs do the lifting.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    when you're doing abs, just like with any exercise, you have to consciously squeeze them during the exercise. that way you are engaging the muscles you want to use for the exercise, rather than having your body recruit whatever muscles it feels like, and put unnecessary pressure on your back. Squeeze your abs tight, and you will feel the pressure on your back instantly reduce. When doing something like crunches, when you get to the point in the movement you start to feel pressure on your back, dont go that far. Another trick for crunches is to think about arching your back on the way down, and rounding on the way up , all while squeezing your abs tight. I hope this wasn't too rude of a suggestion.