Withings Scale Said I have 39% body fat index?!

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you, im 5ft 4, same weight and clothes size but my scales say my body fat is 24%, I hope yours are inaccurate not mine haha!?

At 5'4 and 154 lbs it is unlikely you are at 24% BF.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you, im 5ft 4, same weight and clothes size but my scales say my body fat is 24%, I hope yours are inaccurate not mine haha!?

How do u know?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

How do u know?

Because we went over these stats in a recent thread for the same height. The example was given of Dana Lynn Bailey who is a professional body builder with considerable muscle mass. At 5'4, her LBM is 117lbs.
    So to be 5'4, 154lbs at 24% BF, you would have 118 lbs of LBM.
    That would put you at the same as her. We are talking about someone who has spent years working very hard to add mass.
    So my answer is, it is unlikely.
  • cookhazel93
    cookhazel93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Haha oh dear that's so strange!!
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    Gingasi wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    omg. I can't believe I am 'overweight' :open_mouth::'(

Seriously? It's not something to cry about and I find it hard to believe you ended up on MFP for a reason other than concern about your weight.

That's a bit rude isn't it?

I don't think so. I do think it's insensitive to go to a website that is filled with people who are overweight and obese and trying to lose weight and act like it's horrifying to be 8 pounds overweight. Distraught? Pfft.

MFP is meant to be a place of support/inspiration/sharing and caring for like minded folks with general fitness/health/wellbeing goals it's a real shame jemhh you have to troll people that is not cool.

I'm sorry, what was the trolling here?

I don't think it's very supportive to act like eight pounds is some major tragedy when we have people where who are trying to lose much more weight. That's all that was being pointed out. If you expect support and caring, why not expect it from the OP as well?

Don't remember making it some tragedy. Find it funny that you get your friends to back you up here. :-) 8 pounds is hard for me because I am physically disabled, so it's not like I can go out for a run, but I expect there are people here who are 2 stone overweight who can easily go out for a jog or a cycle or a swim who's spine is not a car wreck. So yes, although I did not make it a tragedy in the first place: actually it is quite hard for me to lose weight. So I would appreciate a little bit of etiquette and non judgement over someone you do not know please.
  • Gingasi
    Gingasi Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Seriously? It's not something to cry about and I find it hard to believe you ended up on MFP for a reason other than concern about your weight.

I don't think so. I do think it's insensitive to go to a website that is filled with people who are overweight and obese and trying to lose weight and act like it's horrifying to be 8 pounds overweight. Distraught? Pfft.

MFP is meant to be a place of support/inspiration/sharing and caring for like minded folks with general fitness/health/wellbeing goals it's a real shame jemhh you have to troll people that is not cool.

I don't think it's very supportive to act like eight pounds is some major tragedy when we have people where who are trying to lose much more weight. That's all that was being pointed out. If you expect support and caring, why not expect it from the OP as well?

The trolling was jemjj being judge, jury and executioner when it's not her place to be so harsh with an solicited attack on the op. Not got anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Where did the op say she only had 8lbs to lose to start with?
    Everybody's got different goals and different struggles so to decide to start on the op was just for the sake of trolling and nothing productive or supportive.
    Other people are supportive and adult enough to either support or advice genuinely yet jemhh and janeJellyroll you to choose to sit and pass judgement, wow!
    You don't have to comment there is a back button if the pair of you don't like what you read.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The trolling was jemjj being judge, jury and executioner when it's not her place to be so harsh with an solicited attack on the op.

This so did not happen. You must have an odd idea of what an "attack" is.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ask for support. But have some perspective and consider those around you. Would you walk into the oncology wing of the hospital and exclaim "The stylist cut too much off. I can't believe I have short hair! I'm distraught!"?

OP, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, no matter how much you have to lose. Eat less. That's it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There will always be someon way worse off, does that mean the rest are not allowed to ask for support?

I didn't see OP asking for support. She asked about the 39% BF estimate -- IMO, scale estimates are useless, but it's possible at her weight that that is correct, as it would put her around 90 lb lean mass. A bit low for 5'4, but I'm around 95 LBM at 5'3 and I do exercise, so certainly possible. She seemed concerned about her weight, so was informed that according to BMI she's a bit overweight but not much. Then she flipped out at some other posters, or that's how I read the thread.

My supportive comment: OP, if you want to be within the healthy range (since you probably aren't an outlier with more LBM than usual), you only need to lose a few lbs. You don't have to if you like the way you look now, but it would be easy and pretty painless. Saying you are overweight by BMI is not an insult, it's just a fact and you can do with it what you will, totally your call, you are unlikely to be overweight enough for it to be much of a health risk, but then again it might be good to take control of it at your age, helpful in the long run. And obviously no one needs to run or otherwise work out to lose weight.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    8 pounds is hard for me because I am physically disabled, so it's not like I can go out for a run, but I expect there are people here who are 2 stone overweight who can easily go out for a jog or a cycle or a swim who's spine is not a car wreck. So yes, although I did not make it a tragedy in the first place: actually it is quite hard for me to lose weight. So I would appreciate a little bit of etiquette and non judgement over someone you do not know please.

Actually, you can lose weight and do very little, it's all about the calories you consume. Exercise gives you a few more to play with, but you don't *have* to do any for weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The trolling was jemjj being judge, jury and executioner when it's not her place to be so harsh with an solicited attack on the op. Not got anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Where did the op say she only had 8lbs to lose to start with?
    Everybody's got different goals and different struggles so to decide to start on the op was just for the sake of trolling and nothing productive or supportive.
    Other people are supportive and adult enough to either support or advice genuinely yet jemhh and janeJellyroll you to choose to sit and pass judgement, wow!
    You don't have to comment there is a back button if the pair of you don't like what you read.

You're being way too dramatic here. Saying people don't have to comment if they don't like something when you're commenting about a post you don't like makes no sense. Doesn't that go both ways? If you don't like the response to a post, why don't YOU exercise the back button if you feel that's such a terrific option?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Don't remember making it some tragedy. Find it funny that you get your friends to back you up here. :-) 8 pounds is hard for me because I am physically disabled, so it's not like I can go out for a run, but I expect there are people here who are 2 stone overweight who can easily go out for a jog or a cycle or a swim who's spine is not a car wreck. So yes, although I did not make it a tragedy in the first place: actually it is quite hard for me to lose weight. So I would appreciate a little bit of etiquette and non judgement over someone you do not know please.

Clarification: while I have respect for what jemhh adds to this community, she and I are not friends.

You don't need to go for a run to lose any weight. If you are interested in losing weight, a calorie deficit will do it even without exercise. We have many posters here who are losing weight without running or cycling or swimming, including some who are physically disabled.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good morning all, This is my first discussion post,

I'm a bit confused because I weighed myself this morning, I was exactly 10st 13.02 (wooh *just* under 11 st ;-) ) but the scale said I have 39% fat index?! So apparently I'm obese.
    I'm 5ft 4 and a size 10-12. I'm not really sure I'm obese. I class myself as chubby but everyone calls me small...Please help because I'm distraught!

It's possible. It could also be off a bit. When I was around that weight (I'm a half inch taller), my scale was giving me a BF% reading around 33%. The highest my scale has ever estimated my lean mass to be is 105 lbs. It's currently putting me at 95.2 lbs of lean mass and 30.4 lbs of fat (24.2% BF). I kind of hope it's at least close, because that means if I maintain that lean mass and lose another 9.5 lbs of fat I should be around 18% BF which should be lean enough to start a bulk.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had my BF done a few years ago at work for a challenge. I'm 5'5", calipers were used and I was 32% BF at 135ish pounds, (9.6 stones). I was put in the obese category. Sure I needed to lose some weight. I just had a good laugh at it, and my coworkers enjoyed calling be obese when I was the slimmest there. My scale says I'm 23% bf now. But I still don't believe it, it's just a number to move.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is crazy. @jemhh is one of the most level-headed people on MFP from what I've seen in my time here, always giving very good advice when asked, very generously so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Ironic posts are ironic.
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There will always be someon way worse off, does that mean the rest are not allowed to ask for support?

I didn't see OP asking for support. She asked about the 39% BF estimate -- IMO, scale estimates are useless, but it's possible at her weight that that is correct, as it would put her around 90 lb lean mass. A bit low for 5'4, but I'm around 95 LBM at 5'3 and I do exercise, so certainly possible. She seemed concerned about her weight, so was informed that according to BMI she's a bit overweight but not much. Then she flipped out at some other posters, or that's how I read the thread.

My supportive comment: OP, if you want to be within the healthy range (since you probably aren't an outlier with more LBM than usual), you only need to lose a few lbs. You don't have to if you like the way you look now, but it would be easy and pretty painless. Saying you are overweight by BMI is not an insult, it's just a fact and you can do with it what you will, totally your call, you are unlikely to be overweight enough for it to be much of a health risk, but then again it might be good to take control of it at your age, helpful in the long run. And obviously no one needs to run or otherwise work out to lose weight.

I didn't flip out, I was kinda asking for support but not explicitly. Thankyou for the advice, it's helpful :-)
  • cookhazel93
    Options
    Absolutely ask for support. But have some perspective and consider those around you. Would you walk into the oncology wing of the hospital and exclaim "The stylist cut too much off. I can't believe I have short hair! I'm distraught!"?

OP, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, no matter how much you have to lose. Eat less. That's it.

Thanks for the advice. You should eat less too.