PCOS help?

Options
What would be a good amount of carbs for a woman with PCOS to eat in order for her to lose weight? And if Metformin allows you to process carbs better, does it allow you to eat a few more carbs?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Seems like a doctor question.
  • CandiGilliam
    CandiGilliam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally carbs have never helped me lose weight and metformin gave me the bubble guts. I have PCOS
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carbs are optional so see how you go by just calorie counting

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My cousin has PCOS and found that a lower carb diet helped her lost weight. She also takes metformin. However your doctor should be the one to tell you the information you want to know.
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS and I've noticed that lowering carbs helps me. I'm doing carb cycling at the moment: low day (70-80g) and moderate day (120-140g) and weight is coming off. It's a bit of an adjustment especially if you love carbs (I do!) but certainly is helpful.
  • reinventingjessica11
    reinventingjessica11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on metformin and I've found that it has actually helped reduce my carb cravings and my appetite overall. If I do eat too many refined carbs I get pretty sick. I can still eat them I just make sure I have enough protein to balance it out, and that I don't go overboard.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I don't track carbs at all. I have a deficit of about 1000 kcal and i've been losing weight accordingly.

You should be asking your doctor/nutritionist this question anyway
  • sallielozo
    sallielozo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and take metformin, and unfortunately going low carb is the only thing that works for me.
  • srhcln94
    srhcln94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS, I take metformin and BC. I find that when I lower my carb intake (bread, cereal, pasta, sweets) I lose weight easier and I have more energy. I however eat good carbs such as vegetables and fruits. I heard that going gluten free could help but never tried.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS (along with some other health issues). From 2012 to mid 2014 (year and half) I lost 90 pounds by keeping my carbs under 100g. I gained most of that weight back when I suffered a broken ankle and had to wear cast/boot for 4 months. During that time my popcorn addiction kicked in - and the 4-5 microwave bags a day packed on the pounds. I just re-started MFP and low carb again the past week or 2 - - gotta do this!! I do eat the eat carbs (in fruit and veggies). And I know that you can eat anything in moderation - but I really do have to watch the carbs.
  • mollosa
    mollosa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and recently my Dr put me on Metformin (have been taking for 2 weeks). Low carb/high fat has always been my best option for losing weight, but now that I am on Met I am not craving carbs at all. So I am finding it a lot easier to forgo the carbs than previous attempts. The one day I did eat brownie/sugar I got heartburn. I am sticking to 50g carbs or below, when I can.
  • rachelspurgeon10
    rachelspurgeon10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't have much inspiration for you, but I also am starting my weightloss journey with PCOS. It's been one of the hardest things for me because I am exercising for 1 hour five times a week and been watching almost completely naturally... But here's to keeping on keeping on. Good luck