Family nondieters

Options
2»

Replies

• troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't actively trying to lose weight (but he needs to...I digress) and he likes his sodas, chips, girl scout cookies, crackers, etc. I had to learn to not eat the foods. That's it. I told myself "no," over and over until I learned it wasn't a good idea for me to eat them.

If your family was pushing you to eat those foods, and were purposefully sabotaging your efforts I'd say yeah they need to be more supportive and/or back off. It doesn't sound like and it's a matter of resisting those foods.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If by "family" you mean parents + siblings, it's tough - can't do much about it. But if you mean husband and children it would be in your family's best interest if you managed to slowly convert them to a lifestyle where cookies and donuts don't just lie around.
  • amgaylord
    amgaylord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was able to get my mind to a place where I prefer healthy foods. I am no longer worried about foods that don't make me feel good. I believe this is why I am finally experiencing real success (down 20, 20 more to go, started on April 18)
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If by "family" you mean parents + siblings, it's tough - can't do much about it. But if you mean husband and children it would be in your family's best interest if you managed to slowly convert them to a lifestyle where cookies and donuts don't just lie around.

Junk food is junk food no matter if it's eaten by a skinny person or not! But anyway, my wife has learned which treats she loves and I hate. I trained her to buy those by eating all the "good stuff" before she could get around to it :p
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    :worried:

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Alarae21 wrote: »
    It's your choice to overhaul your lifestyle so you are the one that will face the challenge when it comes to resisting treats. You shouldn't expect anyone else to support or adhere to your lifestyle.

It's a case of just saying no. You eating those treats is not someone else's failure for bringing them into the house; it's your failure in decision making as you could have said no but chose not to.

Obviously the key way to do things is to have a treat but keep to your calorie goal but the above is just to reiterate that it is down to you, and only you. It's your choice. No one forces you to eat treats. Just say no. Or treat in moderation.
    This ^^^.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Prelog your food. Seriously, it helps. Last night my MIL ( bless her heart) brought a cheesecake. My hubby and son dove into it. I wanted a piece so bad that I even got it out of the fridge but when I tried to log it, for some reason I couldn't connect to the server. I have a policy, if I can't (fairly) accuratly log it, I don't eat it. I put it back in the fridge and the craving passed.
    Today, if they haven't eaten it already and I can log it, I can still have a piece if I want it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

why? what is wrong with cookies and donuts?
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We keep the high calorie treats in a separate cupboard so I do not see them unless I deliberately need to open that cupboard. I only take a treat once it has been logged on my diary so I know how much of my calorie budget it will take up and if it fits my macro nutrient goals. Then I decide if it's worth it or not. I usually get one treat a day (I am not losing weight anymore, just maintaining though).
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have zero will power around yummy things and do best when I simply keep them out of the house - but when that's not an option because the SO does love his kettle chips and peanut m&ms. For me, I find I stick with a healthier lifestyle if I indulge just a little bit, but how to keep it as "just a little bit" is the trick. Typically I find it best to read the labor, figure out how many/much of a servicing size I want and for into my daily goals, put only that much on my plate, pack the treat way and go enjoy my snack somewhere else. I enjoy it, get a treat, but I don't sit there eating out of the bag/box ( because left to my own devices, I definitely would) Hope that helps a little
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    Hello
    my family are not dieters. I'm the only one.there's always sweets pastries and high calorie foods in the house. I don't know what to do it's so difficult to ignore the fact that there is a box of chocolate or a box of cookies in the other room or to ignore the ice cream in the fridge. I always fail .I know this is depleting my willpower but it's so unfair for me to always tell them not to buy such Foods .it's so selfish of me to do that but at the same time just can't find a way to continue my diet like this.

Then don't be selfish. Suck it up, butter cup.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just say no. It's up to you to decide whether you're going to do this or not. Once you get into the right mental state it won't become a issue.

I don't deprive myself of anything. I have ice cream, pretzels, Italian Ice, Girl Scout cookies in my refrigerator and cupboards. I enjoy them and if I had to give them up I could have never done what I've done. I choose to control them instead of them controlling me. Good luck
  • Christine_72
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Does anyone get in the mindset of i have to eat it all NOW to get it out of the house!!?? I did that the other night with a pack of reeses minis. There were 10 left in the pack, so i ate them all to get them out of the house and my mind. There are just certain things i have no self control over, ie anything with peanut butter, so i will not be buying those reeses again!

For me, it's easier to abstain than it is to moderate. There are very few foods i lack the willpower to resist, so not having a few select items in the house isn't going to affect my life in a negative way..
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Right now I am looking at a table with two Danish rings, a bag of Kit Kats, two multipacks of cookies, Hershey bars, Reese's peanut but cups, and two bags of snickers bars. On that dames snack table are two kinds of biscotti (110 calories each), a big box of Slim Jims, a huge container of cashews and a big box of Kind bars.

All of it I brought into the house, most of it (except the biscotti, cashews and Kind bars) I won't touch. I might have a slim Jim. I control what is bought in but more importantly I have my snacks right there as a reminder. In the freezer there are lots of ice cream options most of which they eat but I don't. I do have some for me as special treats and have small bowls that won't hold more than one serving. Again mine is right there with theirs.

My biggest challenge is keeping my stuff in the house. My sons, especially my oldest has decided he likes all my snacks.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Does anyone get in the mindset of i have to eat it all NOW to get it out of the house!!?? I did that the other night with a pack of reeses minis. There were 10 left in the pack, so i ate them all to get them out of the house and my mind. There are just certain things i have no self control over, ie anything with peanut butter, so i will not be buying those reeses again!

For me, it's easier to abstain than it is to moderate. There are very few foods i lack the willpower to resist, so not having a few select items in the house isn't going to affect my life in a negative way..

Yes.... I think that's why I have four children, makes everything go faster (kidding!). I used to really struggle with that, finishing off batches of cookies, cakes, candy, etc,must to get rid of them so they wouldn't tempt me so much. It's not as much of an issue now (see large family). But I really do have to tell myself that I already had my share and just leave that stuff for everyone else (and that it's even okay for it to go stale/bad and get thrown out, should it last that long). Eating lower carb helps me with that I think because I'm not hungry all the time so I can make more rational decisions about food. It's easier for me to abstain too - trying to have a little bit frequently results in my consuming a LOT more than if I have a good helping every once in a great while, if that makes any sense.

• Christine_72
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Yes.... I think that's why I have four children, makes everything go faster (kidding!). I used to really struggle with that, finishing off batches of cookies, cakes, candy, etc,must to get rid of them so they wouldn't tempt me so much. It's not as much of an issue now (see large family). But I really do have to tell myself that I already had my share and just leave that stuff for everyone else (and that it's even okay for it to go stale/bad and get thrown out, should it last that long). Eating lower carb helps me with that I think because I'm not hungry all the time so I can make more rational decisions about food. It's easier for me to abstain too - trying to have a little bit frequently results in my consuming a LOT more than if I have a good helping every once in a great while, if that makes any sense.

Yes, I definitely had a much easier time when i was low carbing, the cravings really did disappear.