Eating Fruit Upsets My Stomach

Options
Ok, I'm new to this lifestyle, so please forgive me. I really love fruit, but every time I eat it, it upsets my stomach. Not painfully or anything, but it causes a lot of grumbling, like digestion or something and diarrhea (TMI, sorry!). Any idea why any and all fruit does this to my system? Is there a way to avoid it, because I really like eating fruit. Thank you

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating fruit all your life, or is this a recent change? Absent any strange medical issues/allergies, etc, I would guess in the past you may not have been getting enough fiber. The fiber in the fruit is actually doing what it's suppose to do, aid with the digestive process. Your body may not be adapted to the change yet.
  • kkh71116
    kkh71116 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I've always ate fruit, but yeah, the increase and eating is everyday and is a recent change. That makes sense... Do these issues resolve on it's own after a while? How long does that usually take to adapt?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Trust me, digestive processes are not TMI for this site. Stomach 'grumbling' is only air moving around, and it's only there because you have a healthy bacterial biome fermenting food. Take pride in it.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I get a similar response, specifically to apples. I found eating something small with it helps tremendously. For example, I will eat a small apple with; 7-10 almonds, or a light string cheese, or a hard boiled egg. Adding some type of healthy fat/protein COMPLETELY avoids the problem for me.
  • kkh71116
    Options
    Well, thank you then! :D
  • kkh71116
    Options
    I too, have naturally thought if I put some protein or something with it, the severity of my issues aren't AS bad. I try to eat like scrambled eggs or something if I have it in the morning for breakfast. I'll keep doing and add more of that, Wanda. Thank you :)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating at one time. I wouldn't eat too much fruit in any case as it is high sugar (if you are trying to lose weight) but one serving a day should be acceptable.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    kkh71116 wrote: »
    I too, have naturally thought if I put some protein or something with it, the severity of my issues aren't AS bad. I try to eat like scrambled eggs or something if I have it in the morning for breakfast. I'll keep doing and add more of that, Wanda. Thank you :)

my nutritionist told me to eat fruit with a protein to avoid that happening. Cheese, nuts, egg, slim jim, what have you. Which for me is a great reason to eat eggs, which I LOVE!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It could be the type of fruit. There are some fruits that I can't eat like apples, pears, oranges....but bananas, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple...are fine.
  • kkh71116
    Options
    Usually I'll have an apple or two in the mornings, and sometimes I'll have other fruit in the evening when I have a craving for something sweet... Which in the evenings it doesn't bother me, I guess from having other foods in my system all day. I also enjoy bananas and grapes.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try eating greek yogurt with live cultures or drinking some kefir. That will give you a protein boost and the probiotics might help your digestive system adjust.
  • kkh71116
    Options
    Thank you all for the input.