Half marathon tips

Options
I just signed up to run my first half marathon in September, and it's got the added challenge of being a trail run through the red river gorge. Any seasoned half marathoners and/or trail runners out there? I'd love your tips and advice.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Watch your footing so you don't trip, especially as your legs start to tire out.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Red River Gorge? That's pretty local to me....

Anyway.
    • Do your training. Find a Training plan and stick to it.
    • Stay Hydrated
    • use your gels wisely
    • as mentioned watch your footing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what they said
    and have fun.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Start some trail runs if you're not already doing so. Find out what kind of trails the race is on. Trail running is very different especially if you're running on technical trails.

Respect the environment and don't litter on training runs or during the race despite what other runners are doing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the trail running aspect (need to do more myself!) but in general it's a matter of pacing yourself, don't go out too fast.

If you plan on taking any type of nutrition during the race make sure you train with it first, everyone's digestive systems react differently to the variety of gels, chews etc on the market.

Nothing new on race day (that includes both food & kit), follow your training plan's advice on tapering. Most will have you doing nothing more than short easy runs the week before the race.

Have fun and smile for the camera at the finish line!
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to run as quickly on the trails as you do on the road. Even for elite runners, your pace will slow down on the trail. This can translate to needing extra fuel. In a road half, I may use one gel midway through. In a trail half, I may need 2-3. Same goes with hydration. Consider a fuel belt/vest to carry your own. Do you have trail shoes? Even on the non-technical trails in my area, trail shoes give me much better grip than road shoes.
    Have fun! Trail running is the best!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Practice on not having a terrible face when you cross the finish line, I have yet to take a great photo at the end of my HM's.

Advice, what every body else said. I usually do not take gels or carbs during the run, but if you do, make sure you train with them. And follow the taper in your running plan.