tell the truth

Options
i have been doing MFP for 22 days now (lost 12lbs) and i am very disciplined so far (again only 22 days lol) i hope to go 60 days with no cheating then on that 60 day i would really like to have a meal of my choice..guilt free would be wonderful also! my question is do you cheat? how often? how did that impact your success ..or did it at all? ...thanks =)

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation and log it. Today is a perfect example. I feel better when I stay within my calories emotionally
  • emilyrenee77
    Options
    I am the same, I eat what I want in moderation as well. But then once a week I allow myself something I normally wouldn't eat. Usually that is when we eat out. It has not impacted my success in a bad way at all. Although even on the days I eat out, I try to stay within my daily calorie allotment. It works for me. :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Define cheating? I haven't really given up anything per se. I eat what i want, just a whole lot less of it!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "cheat." I log everything and almost never go more than a few calories above my budget. And I eat clean most of the time. But if I want something enough to consider it worth the calories, however junky it might be, I eat it.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I too eat what I want and log it.
    It's all in moderation.
    It's my humble opinion--that if our bodies are used to unhealthy and we try to eat only healthy,
    after so long we're gonna break & have a bad day or so, because we've deprived ourselves of what we're used to.
    If we want to eat nothing but healthy, we should slowly wean ourselves off it so our bodies get more used to the good stuff.
    I think the occasional treat is ok too.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want I just log it in my calories. I try to have a day of splurging once a week usually on the weekend so i can go out to dinner and hit the gym for longer periods of time if need be.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Define cheating? I haven't really given up anything per se. I eat what i want, just a whole lot less of it!

Me too!

And to add, my calorie requirements plus the added excersize calories allow me virtually unlimited options.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I don't splurge, I don't cheat and i always log what I eat...if i eat to much then i exercise to make up for it. I try to buy foods with less calories that I like to eat such as pizza..i LOVE pizza and I found a pretty decent slice for 200 calories...so I still eat what i want only reduced calorie.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There is not cheating or not cheating with me... I eat what I want, when I want... always have and always will. Cheating implies that there are restrictions... restrictions lead to resentment. I have been successful because I make the conscious choice daily to put good food in my mouth and when I don't, I still record it accurately and deal with it as I go... it all forms a lifestyle and meshing the 'two worlds' together instead of viewing them separately.

*Edit to add that what I want to eat is good food (clean, wholesome, nutrient rich food) because I know how it fuels my body and how it makes me feel great. Do I eat crap sometimes? Yes. Do I know it's crap and has no nutritional value? Yes. All in moderation and I make food adapt to me and my life... not the other way around.*
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I generally stay under my calories 80-90% of the time with the occasional 'over' day, but I also allow myself a cheat day once every week or two. On those days, I don't log anything and don't really limit myself at all. Ironically I have occasionally had a really good loss a couple of days later, maybe it's my body's way of saying "Thanks for the treat!".
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    My weight loss began in January(I was 150lbs) and I am now down to 125lbs. Really it began in January of 2010 when my son was born, but I only lost about 15lbs in that year. Basically I don't count calories but I eat really well. I eat lost of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meat. I guess that I get around 2000-2200 calories a day, but I work out a lot. I just joined MFP about a week ago and have thought about doing the food and exercise diary, but I feel that what I have been doing is working, so why mess with a good thing? I really like the forum, though. As far as "cheating" goes, I do tend to feel a tad guilty when I eat something "bad", but that does not last long. I work out so hard that I deserve a treat every now and then. What's the point of working hard to stay in shape if you never get a treat?
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat! When it comes down to it, the only person I'm cheating.......IS ME!
    So no I don't cheat.
    My goal was 100 days(last Saturday) my reward.........I had three beers!

I worked out like a mad man all week long and went out Friday and had three more beers.

That was the only time I really went about my caloric limit.

Oh and I logged them. I knew their calories before I even drank them. (They were good to!)
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know that you will hear that everything in moderation is the way to go. Not for me. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT let myself crave for anything. However, the chicken wings that I used to have 3 times a week??? Ummmm, no. I don't "moderate" it, I just don't do it. I have one day a week that I eat my maintainance weight. I've been doing this for a year and I've hit every goal weight I've wanted. I say, screw moderation. If you are going to crave more? then, don't have it at all. If you know you can be satisfied? then absolutely have it. I have popcorn (loaded with butter) 3 days a week. I just make sure It fits into my calorie count...Good luck to you! Hope your journey is as fun and rewarding as mine has been and is...
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    If you eat often and healthily then it doesn't matter if you eat the odd thing that's high in fat on the odd occasion. Your metabolism is already on overdrive due to healthy eating and exercise that it usually burns it off easy enough anyway so don't see it as cheating. If you see it as cheating then you are more likely to cheat more often. Just eat what you normally eat and log it, most importantly always be honest to yourself if your not then you will feel like you are doing something wrong and that can cause the brain to think you should give up trying to be good when you have already been bad.
    The chances are that there will be days you go over and days that you're under, so by the end of the week that should average out to a normal intake of food.

I say all this as if I am a diet guru but it finally makes sense to me now so I though I would share it! May ever write a book haha not! :)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I did sometimes in the beginning of my diet, but 4 or so months into it, I don't anymore.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much the same as everyone else here with that I eat what I want in moderation:bigsmile: I stay within my calories and I workout so I am comfortable within my caloric intake everyday. If I go out and eat I find that my calories are still good-it's the sodium that may turn hectic and even with knowing that this happens on occassion I drink lots of water. Restriction in the past is what has made me unsuccessful with weight loss prior to me joining MFP. Since I have been on this site I have found great support, great food ideas from being able to browse my friend's diaries, and I am actually having a great time with my weightloss journey:happy:
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    I am pretty much the same as everyone else here with that I eat what I want in moderation:bigsmile: I stay within my calories and I workout so I am comfortable within my caloric intake everyday. If I go out and eat I find that my calories are still good-it's the sodium that may turn hectic and even with knowing that this happens on occassion I drink lots of water. Restriction in the past is what has made me unsuccessful with weight loss prior to me joining MFP. Since I have been on this site I have found great support, great food ideas from being able to browse my friend's diaries, and I am actually having a great time with my weightloss journey:happy:

Touché honey me too!
  • TheSarahHill
    Options

Touché honey me too!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I cheat once a week to keep my metabolism up - it's worked really well in the past. Cheating is still usually less than 2200 calories for me, though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing is off limits for me, so there's no such thing as cheating or failing. If I want pizza, I'm going to work for it. If I want southwest eggrolls, I'm going to work for it.

I'm a little in limbo at the moment, undecided whether I should go into maintenance or continue to lose a little more, so I'm not as strict about staying under calories as I was before reaching goal. I'm still under my maintenance calories, so I'm cool with that.