Weight Watchers OR myfitnesspal!?

Options
em030
em030 Posts: 11 Member
I'm on the fence between both programs. I am 26 years old. 185lbs , 5'1 and need to lose 65lbs. Which is better? And what has your success been on it? Thanks y'all!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think the points system with weight watchers is kinda silly. I feel like it's like, "oh, you're too stupid to calculate kcals so here's this points system /patpat". Plus, I feel like knowing the kcals in foods and understanding the amount of energy you're eating compared to the amount of energy your body expends is really important for long term weight loss and health. As long as you hold yourself accountable with MFP and make sure you log everything and weigh yourself in, it's a lot more rewarding than weight watchers any day and teaches you how to independently keep your weight down in the long run a lot better.
    Weight Watchers started at a time when it wasn't nearly as easy to get the nutritional info for food as it is now. The points system was a simplified version of calorie counting.

Times have changed and it's easier to calorie count now.

If you can be self-motivated, MFP is easier and you have more control. If you benefit from peer pressure and structure, WW might be useful.

OP, there's no reason why you might not do both. I've seen many posts from people who go to WW meetings for accountability but actually track their food on MFP.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I could never imagine doing one of those weight watcher programs. MyFitnessPal and Cronometer are better because it encourages you to be independent and make your own food choices.

Weight Watchers had an awesome program in the late 80's. You had a daily calorie max, a fat max and a fiber minimum. You could eat anything you wanted as long as you worked it around those three items. None of this silly points stuff and unlimited (calorific) fruits and veggies. I can't believe what it has turned into these days. I'd never go back in its current incarnation.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers in the '70s, and it worked for a temporary fat fix, but I would not even consider it now. I'd paid a lot of money to get that fat; I'm certainly not paying out more to get thin! :D Further, all those meetings, and that clapping and fakey flattery. Not for me.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    For sure do MFP. The best thing about tracking your calories and macros is that it teaches you about what's in the food you eat, how to set up a healthy and sustainable meal plan, and how to work treat foods into your day occasionally. WW does not do that, and I have seen a lot of people lose weight with WW and then gain more back when they stop because they have not learned about proper nutrition.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do MFP--same process as weight watchers,but easier. If you stay at your recommended calorie intake and continue with exercise, you will loose as much or more weight than WW--and not have to pay for it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've done both. The program WW is doing right now doesn't work AT ALL for me. I like the meetings - but not the current program. MFP is a much better option for me and I am much more successful on it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If it's free it's for me!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I think the points system with weight watchers is kinda silly. I feel like it's like, "oh, you're too stupid to calculate kcals so here's this points system /patpat". Plus, I feel like knowing the kcals in foods and understanding the amount of energy you're eating compared to the amount of energy your body expends is really important for long term weight loss and health. As long as you hold yourself accountable with MFP and make sure you log everything and weigh yourself in, it's a lot more rewarding than weight watchers any day and teaches you how to independently keep your weight down in the long run a lot better.
    Weight Watchers started at a time when it wasn't nearly as easy to get the nutritional info for food as it is now. The points system was a simplified version of calorie counting.

Times have changed and it's easier to calorie count now.

If you can be self-motivated, MFP is easier and you have more control. If you benefit from peer pressure and structure, WW might be useful.

OP, there's no reason why you might not do both. I've seen many posts from people who go to WW meetings for accountability but actually track their food on MFP.

I did WW 10-12 years ago, about 3 or 4 iterations of the program back. It worked quite well for me then; I lost about 80lbs in just over a year. I just did online, I can't deal with the concept of meetings - go have someone else weigh me, give me a gold star if I lost weight, and then sit in a room w/ a bunch of other people exchanging pumpkin fluff recipes and giving each other fake encouragement, and listening to some lady give us a motivational pep talk about how we're all good enough, we're smart enough, and doggone it, people like us? Some people are legit into that, and, sincerely, good for them if it helps them, that's great. Me....notsomuch.

But, that was before MFP and other sites offered calorie counting tools, particularly free ones. Recently, after a couple years on MFP, I went back to WW online for a couple of months - I was in a rut and I was hoping doing something different would get things started up again. Huge mistake. I stuck with it for awhile, hoping I'd get used to it, but the relatively crappy food database, the relatively crappy app and online interface (yes, even compared to MFP, which is saying something), the lack of visibility to my nutritional stats (you have no idea how many calories you're actually eating unless you log all your food twice into another app/site) and the lack of community support made it a poor choice. Plus, I felt that the points system was overly complicated and penalized foods higher in sugar and fat in a way that, after years of MFP, didn't make sense to me (example: 85g of boneless skinless chicken breast is 140 calories and uses 2 points of your daily allowance. 35g of a brownie (using a USDA average here) is 142 calories and 8 points).

As mentioned above, if the meetings are something that you think will help you, by all means give them a try. Only you can know that about yourself, and you may need to go to a few to decide (and remember each meeting center and even meeting time might have a different vibe). But, as someone who has used both pretty extensively, I highly recommend MFP for tracking over WW.
  • jeniecesl
    jeniecesl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about a year... I lost about 20 lbs initially - but earlier this year they changed their points system and it just didn't work for me anymore. My biggest complaint when they changed was that even though you earned points from exercising, those points didn't count towards the ones you could eat.

I know I shouldn't necessarily have a 'transactional' relationship with food and exercise, but I for one found it very motivating to know if I slipped and went a little over, I could 'correct' with a little exercise.

I will say, that the time I was on WW - I did learn alot about making healthier food choices and recognizing the overall nutritional value of food as opposed to just the calorie count.
  • SuzetteEbbinga
    SuzetteEbbinga Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was trying to decide between WW & MFP as well. I decided to try MFP first, I can do WW at anytime if I find MFP is not working for me.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Done both. Like MFP better.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've done both. WW more than once. The old programs were better, the new one I have not heard good things about. MFP is more flexible to the individuals needs. For instance I watch my carbs, other people like lots of carbs. You can play with your macros until you find that sweet spot that works for you.

That being said if you need the meeting structure than WW would be better. Last time I did it, I stopped going to the meetings and was just using the app. Why pay for that when you can get that here for free.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that has done WW has gained every bit of it back when they stopped doing the program.

Weight Watchers is a program telling what you eat. Once you lose someone telling you, and you go back to your old ways.

MFP is training you to make healthier choices by logging everything.

MFP teaches you lessons. Not dictates what to do.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Cat0703 wrote: »
    MFP has worked better for me as an online tool.
    me too plus duct tape on my mouth

• Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing both. I lost 50 pounds with MFP in 2014 but then had serious medical issues in 2015 so I gained it all back. I started back on MFP in March of this year and for some reason it did not work for me. I started WW in May and have lost 23 pounds. I have found it easy to follow and just like MFP I eat whatever I want to and I have actually learned FAR more about nutrition now being on WW. I like the accountability of going to meetings and weighing in at a certain time on a certain day every week, but I keep up with MFP to check my calorie intake. I'd recommend trying MFP first as I did since it is free but if you find it not working look at doing both.