Under Armour

Options
So are the shorts and t-shirts etc from UA really worth the money, or would I just be playing into the hype by buying them?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I personally like the feel and fit of UA and Nike workout clothing. Are they worth the money, its up to the individual. A $10 pair of shorts from the supercenter covers your *kitten* just as well as a $30 UA pair.

We normally stock up when we are travelling at outlet malls, where sometimes you can get pretty decent deals. Seldom buy at full retail.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Check Ebay :)

I like Under Armour and RBX, sometimes you can find good deals on Ebay and various other sporting sites too if you google it :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    IMO, no. For shirts, I prefer Starter. For shorts, it doesn't matter, as I'm not wearing compression shorts. The Russell shorts I've had for the past 3 years are still going strong.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Not worth my money. Merino wool is the best material to exercise in, at least for a shirt.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    not for me, I use $10 shorts from wally world and grab the first t-shirt in the closet when I am headed to the gym
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    They are not worth the money they want for them from places like Dick's, Sports Authority or other big box stores.

I only buy my UA from places like TJMaxx/Marshall's or Thrift Stores. I don't mind spending money on good gear, for crying out loud all my cycling gear is Specialized, Bontrager, Primal, Castelli or Safetti, but Nike Pro and Under Armour are not worth what they want for them at big box store.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No, I don't like their clothing. The fit of most of their clothing is off for me, and a lot of the fabric seems cheap and doesn't wick moisture as well as other brands. I have a few bras, a tank top, and tights from UA, but they're not my favorite. I don't have a problem spending money on quality attire, but I do not like UA. I always see UA at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Nordstrom Rack so check those if you don't want to pay retail.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've been wear UA compression t-shirts and shorts for years and well before UA became a household name. Should have bought stock in the company back then. Great fit/feel for me but that doesn't mean it would be the same for anyone else.

Have only bought a few other things w/a UA label. Still have a great UA sweat suit combo that I've never seen again and has never been equaled by anything else I've tried on and just bought 2 pairs of UA shoes -- football and running -- that I found on sale at Sports Authority and Dicks.

But, other than that, it's just the UA compression t-shirts and shorts that work for me.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think decent tech gear makes a big difference from cotton tee shirts and sweats, but brand to brand it's all pretty similar once you're in that price point. Nike, UA, Lululemon, whatever, it all does a good job for me so now I just buy whatever's on clearance or in kids' sizes (perks of being shortish.)

Stuff that's specifically made for working out is worth paying for for me, as the fabric is more comfortable, the fit tends to be better, and the construction is sturdier for movement than $10 leggings from Forever 21 or whatever, but personally I notice very little difference between name-brand type gear.

I feel the same about hiking gear - as long as it's made of the right material for the task I don't really care if it's MEC or Arc'teryx or Patagonia, it's all pretty well-made and does the job.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    They are not worth the money they want for them from places like Dick's, Sports Authority or other big box stores.

I only buy my UA from places like TJMaxx/Marshall's or Thrift Stores. I don't mind spending money on good gear, for crying out loud all my cycling gear is Specialized, Bontrager, Primal, Castelli or Safetti, but Nike Pro and Under Armour are not worth what they want for them at big box store.

Big +1 on this.

I got a $400 Patagucci mountaineering jacket for $20 at a local thrift store. It looked like it had never been worn, probably a gift that didn't fit or something. I've used and enjoyed the hell out of it. :smile:

You can't just walk into a thrift store and expect to find what you need at that moment, but if you go occasionally, you're going to find some deals.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Big +1 on this.

I got a $400 Patagucci mountaineering jacket for $20 at a local thrift store. It looked like it had never been worn, probably a gift that didn't fit or something. I've used and enjoyed the hell out of it. :smile:

You can't just walk into a thrift store and expect to find what you need at that moment, but if you go occasionally, you're going to find some deals.

I found a set of Pearl Izumi shoe covers new in the package for $2.99. I found a Cannondale Carbon Fiber Bike frame for $250.00, wasn't my size. I cannot count how many sporting good items, good items to boot, that I've found at the local Thrift Store.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    IMO, gear that you are going to use more/harder than the average person is worth paying for. Find good stuff, pay the money, and enjoy it for years. Stuff that you'll use more casually probably isn't worth paying extra for higher quality and/or better features.

That said, and more to your question, I'll second what may are saying: the big box brands like Nike, UA, and Adidas aren't worth the money at regular prices. If you can find them on clearance or at a place like Marshalls/TJ Maxx, then maybe... but not at regular retail prices. I'd rather pay a little bit more for a much better product or 30% less for something that's almost as good. Most of those big brand products fall into a bad price-to-quality ratio.

Ultimately though it's really up to you. Your money is your money, and you like what you like. If you like UA stuff well enough to justify the price, then go for it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes. Not specifically Under Armor, but good gear in general is always worth a little extra. This is especially try when it is really hot or really cold.

When I get UA, I normally get it from their outlet store. The only UA gear I have that I paid full price for is some winter running pants and shirts. And it was worth every penny.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love their shirts for the gym. The fitted shirts are a perfect fit, and dry quickly. I could buy cheaper shirts at Walmart, but they are not as good. It's just like me paying $100 for Solomon shoes for action pistol shooting. I tried cheaper shoes, but we shoot on gravel. The Solomon's are a better shoe. Value is up to the individual.