Running through the Heat

Options
Is there anything you do to help get yourself through some of those tough runs in the summer heat? I run about 4-7 miles every day and lately it has been difficult for me to finish without making a few stops along the way, no matter how early or late in the day I go. Thanks!

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Things I do:

1. Run at a much slower pace. I run about 1min to 1.5 minutes slower per mile in the summer than other times of the year.
    2. Hydrate well before the run. Before a run, I make sure I've stayed properly hydrated throughout the day (or night before).
    3. Find as much shade as possible on the course.
    4. I have no problem with taking short walk breaks throughout the run.
    5. If you have water fountains or water with you, pour it on wrists, head, down your back, etc, to help cool off.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just suck it up, but I typically like the heat so that might not help you.

Something else to consider... you may not be sufficiently recovered and/or nourished. Running every day? Peak of summer? That'll wear on you .
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running for? I'm with jacksonpt, you're probably not recovering sufficiently between runs and the heat only makes things worse. If you're going to run every day pick the coolest time of day, make sure you're well hydrated and slow down.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. i only run before the sun comes up--it's 83 at 4 am. That's plenty warm for me. Enjoyable? No. But I'm not dying.
    2. What other said-make sure you're drinking enough water.
    3. Slow down. Again like other said, I don't beat myself up over walking some.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You gotta build up to it. You can't just go out one day and expect to be able to run well in the heat. Like anything else, you have to build slowly into it. Also it depends on what I am doing that day. If I am just running a straight endurance run, I will likely plan to do it when it is hot out to purposely work on heat adaptation. If I am running hard intervals or anything like that, I will plan to do it early-morning when it isn't too bad yet.