Rec. Calories and Hunger - HELP PLEASE!

Options
Hello everyone! I am very new to this app, but I have used calorie counters in the past. I noticed that my calorie budget on my fitness pal is quite a bit lower than I have have been prescribed in the past. I am a little over 1,200 right now, in the past I have been closer to 1,500. This is only day two, but I will say I am feeling hungry, not just "getting used to eating less" hungry, actual hungry. I have been pushing through it but today I noticed I am a bit sluggish and have a touch of a headache.

Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do?

Right now I am trying to make my diet higher in protein (40%) and lower in carbs and fat. Perhaps I should allow myself a few more carbs in the run of a day?

I also selected a sedentary lifestyle which could have something to do with it. I selected that because I have a desk job - but when I get home I am usually quite active (walking my dog, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping etc.) and some days at work... I do run around the city a bit... perhaps instead of upping my carbs, I should select a low active lifestyle and see if it gives me a few more calories in my budget?

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats, how much fat and fibre are you getting?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many pounds did you tell MFP you wanted to lose each week? Often when people get a low calorie goal it's because they selected two pounds a week. Adjusting that, if that is the issue, will give you more calories each day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would try moderately active -- I live in a city and walk a bunch in my daily life despite a desk job, and ended up realizing that I was not sedentary (based on results and on my Fitbit when I connected it).

Also, are you aiming for 2 lb/week? If you reduce the goal you will get more calories and still lose. Better to eat a sustainable amount and be more consistent with a lower goal than try for a higher goal and be unable to sustain it.

Remember too that if you do exercise you add it back. That's why the number I got was lots lower than the one I expected from past calorie estimates.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Totally normal to be hungry when you first start on a deficit.

Sedentary sounds right for your activity level. Log your actual exercise (walking, running, biking) and eat some or all of those calories back.

You can also reconsider your goals...if you have MPF set to lose 2 lbs a week, you may want to consider 1 lb instead.
  • selvania
    selvania Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with dlkfox. Record your exercise, or up to lightly active at the least. If nothing else I'd log the dog-walking. If you're feeling light headed it could be lacking in carbs or fat. Your body needs some carbs for maintenance. You also need to make sure you're getting at least some fat (avoid too many fat free foods, they'll leave you feeling hungrier). Also, like lemurcat, you could lower the amount that you try to lose per week. Then if you get used to that up it later on.
  • calleefrances
    calleefrances Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @TavistockToad I can make my diary public if you like - I set things and I think it changes. Right now my protein is pretty much on par with my carbs (slightly higher, both in the 35-40 % range) and my fat takes up the rest. Fiber... I actually don't have it showing up, I may change that but, just based on what I eat, I eat quite a bit of fiber in a day
  • calleefrances
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I might do that... I use my feet and public transit to get to work, I walk for my groceries... I walk sometimes at lunch. I will wait until I get my fitbit to see for sure, but yesterday I had over 11, 000 steps according to my iphone. I think I have it set to lost 1lb a week, but like I said things keep changing! I am not sure where to set what I lose per week I can't find it... I'd also love to set the date I want to lose it by, but I can't find that either! (still new obviously haha)
  • calleefrances
    Options
    @dlkfox usually I would agree with you on the hunger thing, but I used to switch out eating regimes all the time for boxing. Usually when it is a matter of getting used to a new diet feeling puckish or craving something is normal, but I am past that, I have the constant feeling of hunger, with dizziness and headaches from time to time, so in this case I think my body is telling me it is actually not eating enough.
  • les2788
    les2788 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've tried protein shake but I was starving the 1st week! I needed to do something so I wouldn't fail so I bought protein powder been drinking it with 2% milk it's a little high in calorie, but I drink it on the morning after my work out. I feel so much fuller through the day. Don't feel like I'm starving all day which is a horrible feeling.
  • calleefrances
    Options
    @les2788 thanks for replying! I do enjoy a good protein shake, that is my typical breakfast on the mornings I am rushing getting ready for work. My problem was I wasn't eating enough for my activity level. I changed my activity level, and now I get 1,400 calories a day - even just today I felt way better! I was able to push harder through my workout and I don't feel like I'm starving now - a little peckish like "I could eat" haha, but not starving or dizzy like I had been
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    @dlkfox usually I would agree with you on the hunger thing, but I used to switch out eating regimes all the time for boxing. Usually when it is a matter of getting used to a new diet feeling puckish or craving something is normal, but I am past that, I have the constant feeling of hunger, with dizziness and headaches from time to time, so in this case I think my body is telling me it is actually not eating enough.

Dizziness like that may indicate low blood sugar. Up your calories. And ditch any high GI foods you might be consuming (like rice cakes and potato flour products).
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A lot of people feel satiated when they eat the same weight of food every day. Think about what your portions look like now compared to what they looked like prior.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what is your height, weight, age?
  • calleefrances
    Options
    @TavistockToad 5'3, 148-149 pounds, my body fat percentage last time I got it done was in the 21% range, and I am 24 (turning 25 in sept)
  • calleefrances
    Options
    @dlkfox thanks lady! I did up my calories and I feel way, way better.