KSHills
KSHills Posts: 1 Member
How do I get more fiber...

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are my preference

Beans. Pulses.Wholegrain and wholemeal. Nuts - almonds, pecans, and walnuts specifically
    Jacket potato - the skin is the important bit.
    Dried fruit.
    Bran based cereal and other healthy cereal options.
    Porridge.
    Fruit and veg. At least 5-a-day portions and the crunchier, the better.
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables and beans are all good sources of fibre.

Onions, leeks, bananas and artichokes all have inulin which is a type of pre-biotic fiber. Feeding the healthy bacteria in your lower colon.

Oatmeal for breakfast. I buy inulin in powder form and ad to my oatmeal in the morning. You can also ad flax and chia seeds to increase the amount of fiber and nutrition.

Whole grain bread. I buy whole grain sprouted bread. Way more nutrition in anything sprouted whichb4-5 grams per slice.

A handful of tree nuts or peanuts per say.

Whole grain pastas and brown rice. Eat the potato skins.

A few ideas here.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Flax/ linseed, chia. Low sugar berries.

Pasta oatmeal banana way too much sugar and starch.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    SaliDale wrote: »

Onions, leeks, bananas and artichokes all have inulin which is a type of pre-biotic fiber. Feeding the healthy bacteria in your lower colon.

Oatmeal for breakfast. I buy inulin in powder form and ad to my oatmeal in the morning. You can also ad flax and chia seeds to increase the amount of fiber and nutrition.

Whole grain bread. I buy whole grain sprouted bread. Way more nutrition in anything sprouted whichb4-5 grams per slice.

A few ideas here.

PSA: "feeding the healthy bacteria in your lower colon" = painful bloating and eye-watering toxic gas for many people :lol:. If that's not you, there's lots of products (granola bars and other snack items, pastas, cereals/oatmeals, yogurts) which have added inulin (you might also see chicory root extract) to increase the fiber content that are good possibilities to add, though many might have more sugar than you're looking for.

Other than that, as everyone else has said, beans/pulses, whole grain breads and crackers, some cooked grains like bulgur and farro, many greens and other vegetables, avocado, berries, flax, and bran cereals are all good choices that are relatively low in sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get most of mine from fruits and vegetables. The best source -- blows my fiber numbers out of the park when I have them -- are beans/lentils, however. Whole grains can be good too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You get more fiber by exploring foods that have fiber, and deciding which you will incorporate into your food supply. My similar exploration led me to incorporate some fiber into my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. It all adds up and I'm a regular guy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    SaliDale wrote: »

A few ideas here.

PSA: "feeding the healthy bacteria in your lower colon" = painful bloating and eye-watering toxic gas for many people :lol:. If that's not you, there's lots of products (granola bars and other snack items, pastas, cereals/oatmeals, yogurts) which have added inulin (you might also see chicory root extract) to increase the fiber content that are good possibilities to add, though many might have more sugar than you're looking for.

Other than that, as everyone else has said, beans/pulses, whole grain breads and crackers, some cooked grains like bulgur and farro, many greens and other vegetables, avocado, berries, flax, and bran cereals are all good choices that are relatively low in sugar.

This^

Chicory root (aka inulin).......ugh! Gives me horrible stomach pain. Chobani 100 has chicory root (I can't eat it).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    KSHills wrote: »
    How do I get more fiber...

Eat more fiber...
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Whole grain cereals
    Brussels sprouts
    Lentils, beans
    Popcorn
    Fiber One products
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bosc pears,muesli,avocado,dried figs :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Cereal.
    NO sugar !
    About 1/2 of your daily fiber requirement.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I take a Fiber Supplement that is sugar free for extra fiber. Vitafusion is one brand.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    vegetables, fruit, air popped popcorn.