Thoughts on Orangetheory Fitness

Options
So, I'm considering dropping my traditional gym membership+personal training and signing up for Orangetheory Fitness.
Is there anyone out there who's done the same? Have you seen results with OTF? Are there any drawbacks/catches to an OTF membership I should be aware of? I'm signed up for a trial class tomorrow afternoon, and it seems super up my alley, but I'd really like to hear from you people with both positive and negative experiences (posted reviews can sometimes be paid for/sketchy af) so I can make the most informed decision possible before taking the plunge.

Replies

• danibabii11
    danibabii11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One of the only things that is keeping me from going to orange theory is the price......
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The marketing claims about calorie burn are completely nonsensical.

It depends on your current gym, but they're peddling the same classes that most others do, and charging you a significant amount more.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think it is all hype.
  • Jazz_Hands
    Jazz_Hands Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The marketing claims about calorie burn are completely nonsensical.

It depends on your current gym, but they're peddling the same classes that most others do, and charging you a significant amount more.

Yeah, I don't expect a burn like that...I know advertising claims (especially in the fitness industry) almost always depict the success stats of their very top percentage...I just care that I get a good work out and maintain my weight loss rate of 1-2 lbs per week, and continue to improve my strength and cardio endurance.

Regarding the cost: it's actually significantly cheaper than my current gym membership fee + personal training fees...we're talking a savings of easily $500/month, so I'm not really worried about that...

I'm mainly concerned about the in-club/class experience.
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I think it is all hype.

...why?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am signed up to join as soon as the one in my town opens. I think the calorie burn claims are complete bs but it looks like a lot of fun. I am also keeping my regular gym membership.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jazz_Hands wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't expect a burn like that...I know advertising claims (especially in the fitness industry) almost always depict the success stats of their very top percentage...

I don't think anyone could get what I've seen claimed, particularly not the "afterburn" nonsense.

Regarding pricing, you pay a lot for personal training, because it's personal, and training. OTF is neither personal, nor particularly tailored to your needs

If all you want is generic group classes then go ahead. If you want a tailored package then it's not that.

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've been going to OTF for a little over a month. It's a great workout and I feel like it keeps me accountable to myself since I can't cancel at the last minute without being charged :smile:

I have to say that the trainers will modify exercises for your if you have an injury and they make sure to check about injuries at the beginning of each class. I am a little over a year out from an full achilles tendon rupture repair and still can't do a lot of the plyometric/jumping activities and I have no problem getting a modification so in that way it is better than working out on your own.

I don't know about the afterburn stuff, but I have lost 8 pounds in the last month for what that's worth. I have been going twice a week, and filling in 3 other days at my other gym.
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Regarding the cost: it's actually significantly cheaper than my current gym membership fee + personal training fees...we're talking a savings of easily $500/month, so I'm not really worried about that...

Wow! Can I ask, why so much, or is that a typo? ($50/month).

My Gym membership is £16.99/month, unlimited use.
  • 15more2go
    15more2go Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout. Usually they will let you try a couple of classes for free. Or if the gym is brand new, they might let you do two weeks for free. You wear a heart rate monitor and you will get your individual calorie count. If you don't like treadmill time, this workout isn't for you. You will normally spend about 23-28 minutes on the treadmill.
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a friend swear by it and she is an elite athlete. I was impressed that she was actually challenged by it. I also heard the same about them scaling workouts so anyone can do it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I go to a gym that is similar in theory (sign up in advance, pay if you don't show up, circuit training environment, small classes) and I can say that it's definitely better than regular gym classes. The instructor is on me in a flash if I'm doing something wrong (most of the time). It's effective, encouraging. I have to modify a lot since I'm so big, but I've made huge improvements from starting to now. Probably more so than I would have made going to Zumba and walking on the treadmill.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I took an Orangetheory class once. I thought it was fun and a good workout. I do think they should offer a two week trial versus one class because membership is pricey IMO. For myself, I think it's something I would get bored with if I went more than three or four times a month.
  • CBooth5033
    CBooth5033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go twice a week and I really like it. They do switch up each class a bit so it isn't the same routine. I have also experienced the trainers asking about injuries and modifying exercises. At the one I go to they really watch your form even on the treadmill.

I have been doing this for about 5 months while supplementing with other workouts and I still feel challenged and not bored with the classes.
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for two reason:

1) I want to know if the OP tried OTF and what you thought of it?
    So, I'm considering dropping my traditional gym membership+personal training and signing up for Orangetheory Fitness.
    Is there anyone out there who's done the same? Have you seen results with OTF? Are there any drawbacks/catches to an OTF membership I should be aware of? I'm signed up for a trial class tomorrow afternoon, and it seems super up my alley, but I'd really like to hear from you people with both positive and negative experiences (posted reviews can sometimes be paid for/sketchy af) so I can make the most informed decision possible before taking the plunge.

2)
    For everyone saying that Orangetheory Fitness is BS and overhyped (and I've read a lot of that on the boards here) how about you give it a try or talk to people who have tried it before getting too technical about claims and whatnot. OTF has literally changed my life (fitness wise), I've been struggling with my weight for a bit but last year got extremely bad and I had literally tried everything from traditional gym, personal training and some celebrity fitness studio with personal training and nothing was working. OTF was just the perfect combination of cardio and lifting as well as amazing trainers/atmosphere/challenges it just ignited my body. I went from not being able to lose anything over 5lbs in a year to losing 20+ in 2 months and then went into maintenance mode for 3 months and have not gained anything and I'm back to losing weight now. I found it to be a perfect pairing with MFP to be honest. Pricey but for me personally, worth every penny
  • healthjunkie92
    healthjunkie92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been to OTF and I really enjoyed it! I saw a significant difference in my overall lifestyle and I lost a significant amount of weight. I had to stop due to going back to school and I couldn't really afford it. There is a new one being built much closer to where I live and I joined...scheduled to be opening late winter/early spring. I miss OTF a lot! The workouts are great, they do great group initiatives such as a weightloss challenge (winner actually wins money), the members are amazing, and the results are incredible! In any case, one might think different due to the price but honestly if you factor in personal training at a minimum $50.00 an hour, OTF is no where near that price for a month unlimited, plus they have other membership options for those who can't commit to more than 3x per week. I honestly think it is worth the money, you'll feel amazing and look amazing!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I go to an OTF like gym. I'm in the process of a fitness/nutrition challenge. I broke my ankle in May of 2015. Last December I ran 5 k in 55 minutes. Joined this gym in may ,and started as a walker, then power walker, then runner. During the 8 week challenge I went from a 9:47 minute mile, and the midway benchmark was 8:54! And I've lost 12 pounds already and I'm not even done with it. I started deadlifting a 20 pound kettle bell and now can do 65 pounds. Also, no calorie counting! Whole Foods and intuitive eating!

I would say that it's not hype. It's a pretty rad workout and I love the small classes and the energy everyone has. I can guarantee that most people don't workout this hard on their own every time they go to the gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    61417b0a-0536-4374-8c1f-36d22dbf7458_1.b3f4961404e3570a91c3cc2a4a0ec221.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it?
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's vanilla circuit training with a glossy marketing wrap around it. If it works for you, that's fine, but the marketing claims are outlandish.

It doesn't support my objectives at the moment. And given that it's not a particularly cost effective way of doing circuit training I wouldn't anticipate it in the future.

If you're not able to motivate yourself, and you need a trainer, then I can see why it's attractive, if expensive.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    It's vanilla circuit training with a glossy marketing wrap around it. If it works for you, that's fine, but the marketing claims are outlandish.

It doesn't support my objectives at the moment. And given that it's not a particularly cost effective way of doing circuit training I wouldn't anticipate it in the future.

If you're not able to motivate yourself, and you need a trainer, then I can see why it's attractive, if expensive.

Then why not just say that instead of the Kool-Aid. And...did you try it?