Binge / emotional diaries.......

Options
Hi do anyone of you manage to fill you diaries with everything you binge or emotionaly eat on? I have recently started to try with an open diary. It scared me the amount of calories that I really had (even though i knew I had loads). It would be great to have similar friends (I'm a MFP newbie:))

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi
    welcome to MFP
    I recommend that you get some medical advise to deal with this issue
    Logging everything at MFP would help you to understand your baseline and where you are today.
    This is a bigger matter than you can deal by yourself.
    Please ask for help to the experts
    All the best in your recovery
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I notice that oftentimes when people see the word "binge" they think the poster has issues. I'm somewhat new to MFP. I don't understand why people automatically go to that assumption. Can someone help me understand? I don't think that everyone who binges has an eating disorder or "emotional" issues. I just think some people use food as an outlet to relief stress. Just like some people who drink a bit much sometimes or maybe smoke to take the edge off. I haven't heard advise them to get help. It's just a bit confusing to me. Maybe someone can shed light. It could be that lots of people on here have EDs. But I wouldn't think that about everyone who emotionally eats or binges. Please enlighten me. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I notice that oftentimes when people see the word "binge" they think the poster has issues. I'm somewhat new to MFP. I don't understand why people automatically go to that assumption. Can someone help me understand? I don't think that everyone who binges has an eating disorder or "emotional" issues. I just think some people use food as an outlet to relief stress. Just like some people who drink a bit much sometimes or maybe smoke to take the edge off. I haven't heard advise them to get help. It's just a bit confusing to me. Maybe someone can shed light. It could be that lots of people on here have EDs. But I wouldn't think that about everyone who emotionally eats or binges. Please enlighten me. :)

If one is using "binge" to refer to a period of uncontrollable and excessive eating (not just an "oops, I ate more than I should have!") and these periods happen enough to have a negative impact on one's physical and/or emotional wellbeing, it's an issue.

Someone who can't control their drinking and finds that it is impacting their physical or emotional health will also be advised to seek help -- I've seen it happen many times here.

If someone uses "binge" when they mean they ate two granola bars instead of one, they're always free to clarify that they don't mean "binge" in the sense of Binge Eating Disorder.
  • 28barb205
    28barb205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mfp is a great tool for anyone with any eating disorders. The main treatment for all eating disorders is cognitive behavior therapies. By keeping the food journal, hopefully you can make a link between the emotional triggers that lead to your binges I think your doing great in recognizing what your doing to your body. Not everyone can afford professional help. Or are ready for it. Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

If one is using "binge" to refer to a period of uncontrollable and excessive eating (not just an "oops, I ate more than I should have!") and these periods happen enough to have a negative impact on one's physical and/or emotional wellbeing, it's an issue.

Someone who can't control their drinking and finds that it is impacting their physical or emotional health will also be advised to seek help -- I've seen it happen many times here.

If someone uses "binge" when they mean they ate two granola bars instead of one, they're always free to clarify that they don't mean "binge" in the sense of Binge Eating Disorder.

Makes sense. It just seems that people go there first in their responses. Thanks!
  • leejoyce31
    Options

One other question. How do you quantify "happen enough to have a negative impact......." I'm just trying to understand. I don't know much about EDs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

One other question. How do you quantify "happen enough to have a negative impact......." I'm just trying to understand. I don't know much about EDs

I'm not a professional, but I would say if your binge eating is impacting your health, relationships, or emotional wellbeing, it's worth talking to a professional. I don't know if there is a quantification that is used by professionals or not, but as a layperson, I would seek help for any for any uncontrollable behavior that made me unhappy/unhealthy.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat. When I feel my overeating is a compulsion that is hard to deny, stop or modify, I call it a binge. I struggle with this anytime I have down time, but especially later in the evening when I'm not really hungry, but I am tired and I'm sure it has to do with self-soothing and enjoying the very act of eating. I'm not diagnosed with an eating disorder, nor do I think that is appropriate for me, but I do call that kind of overeating a binge.
    I'm always looking for ways to control that impulse - sometimes I'm more successful than other times. It does help to track the food intake, and it does help to take a moment to consider why I'm wanting to snack. One thing I've discovered for myself is that if I attack it with an attitude of NOT eating (ie, I WON'T eat tonight after dinner/dessert, or after 7pm, or whatever) it does not work. If I attack it with the attitude that I am going to fast until breakfast time, or for 12 hours, I have more success... probably because it is easier to DO something than to NOT DO something!
  • _sacar
    _sacar Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had like four Hawaiian rolls, some ice cream, peanut butter, lots of cookies, and M&M's the other night after a really bad day lol. That is DEFINITELY bingeing but it isn't something I do constantly and it hasn't really impacted me physically. So yeah I mean there's a spectrum here for sure. Anyway, as far as logging, sometimes I'll log the exact foods, and other times I'll try to overestimate how much I had and just quick-add calories and then hide my phone and cry (JK on the last part lol).
  • leejoyce31
    Options

I'm not a professional, but I would say if your binge eating is impacting your health, relationships, or emotional wellbeing, it's worth talking to a professional. I don't know if there is a quantification that is used by professionals or not, but as a layperson, I would seek help for any for any uncontrollable behavior that made me unhappy/unhealthy.

Makes sense. Thanks!