Extreme hunger/Reactive eating?

Options
Fridaywed
Fridaywed Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I was doing good at having a deficit to lose a few pounds again, I was eating what I assumed was just under my tdee so it wouldn't be a huge deal, Ate around 1500 or so, I thought I ate balanced enough.
But then for the last few days I've just felt so hungry. By the time dinner comes around I just lose all control and just eat a tonne. This has happened a few times when I was losing the weight the first time(40 pounds all together!) and I assumed I just had not ate enough. But 1500 is more then 1000 so why is this happening again? Is my tdee higher then what mfp says it is? I have started walking again, But that's all that has changed.
I'm afraid I'll gain weight again.

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any exercise calories?

What sort of foods are you eating? Plenty of fat, fibre and protein, or lots of unsatisfying low fat versions of stuff?

I do find that whether I feel hungry or not varies with my cycle. That said, I've aimed for maintenance today, as I'm due on and feeling a bit whoozy with it and not been able to get there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You state that "for the last few days I've felt so hungry".. Is this true hunger, cravings, time of the month? Are you staying hydrated? Are you exercising? If so has that changed, perhaps volume or intestiy?

And this happens a few times when you loose weight? Can yo elaborate if you have found any slight trend or trigger that is causing this? Anything?

Because if it is just every now and then during weight loss it may tell me hormones possibly.

Your TDEE is only higher if you are more active, etc. It just does not go up without you actually being more active on purpose.
  • Fridaywed
    Fridaywed Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

What sort of foods are you eating? Plenty of fat, fibre and protein, or lots of unsatisfying low fat versions of stuff?

I do find that whether I feel hungry or not varies with my cycle. That said, I've aimed for maintenance today, as I'm due on and feeling a bit whoozy with it and not been able to get there.
    I'm not purposely eating back exercise calories, I just eat whatever I want within my budget for the day

Yes! Full fat kefir/yogurt, Whole Milk and oatmeal, Homemade enriched whole wheat bread, Meats, Lots of veggies and fruit

Hm, yeah I do feel hungrier during that time of the month, Which should be in about a few weeks(but was late last month) so I don't think it's quite that yet.
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You state that "for the last few days I've felt so hungry".. Is this true hunger, cravings, time of the month? Are you staying hydrated? Are you exercising? If so has that changed, perhaps volume or intestiy?

And this happens a few times when you loose weight? Can yo elaborate if you have found any slight trend or trigger that is causing this? Anything?

Because if it is just every now and then during weight loss it may tell me hormones possibly.

Your TDEE is only higher if you are more active, etc. It just does not go up without you actually being more active on purpose.
    True hunger, I know the difference. I drink 40oz+ of water a day. I have started to walk again lately.

Not really, The only thing I can think of is not eating enough, I use to be in a very big deficit(Which I know wasn't healthy but it happened) and I would end up binging because I had only ate say 500 calories that day

Possibly could be

I think I meant BMR, I have inklings that I have a higher calorie need then assumed by calculators because I seem to lose weight quicker then I'm 'suppose' to
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP also you do eat some calorie dense foods. Have you considered a remote possibility that perhaps for example pancakes, 200 - 400 calories in bread and dinner rolls are not the best satiety/filling type foods to eat when only eating 1450 - 1500 calories? I only say this because cookies, pancakes, 400 calories in bread are taking a lot of your calories in the day and are not going to provide you will fullness very well or very long.

My recommendation is to lower these types of food and add in healthy fats, some more protein and fiber to your diet, like more fruits and veggies. In this case the types of foods can be causing you to be hungrier.

1450 - 1500 calories is plenty as long as you have your deficit figured out correctly. You can stretch these calories to some different types of foods that are truly filling, etc..

Your BMR may change only slightly, this is used to find your TDEE, but does not have much to in the way you described unless you are talking you weight a lot less now than the last time you ran your stats though a calculator.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

Ouryve, are hungrier during your cycle? I'm okay with my cycle but when I start my first week back on active birth control pills after my cycle, my cravings are horrible.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thinking PMS too.