After two week of hard work, I've gained 4 lbs!!!

Options
I have been attending insanity classes four times a week for two weeks and doing small cardio workouts at home the other days. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. I've been logging food and eating so well. I've even hit my goals for water intake each day and after two weeks, I've gained 4 lbs. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• carriemm27
    carriemm27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That makes sense! thanks a lot
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    New exercise routine and your body is retaining water. Happens to me every time. I'd give it a few days and you should see it disappear. Just remember, 3500 cal = 1 lb. You would have had to consume 14,000 calories over maintenance over the last two weeks for it to be fat. If you were in a deficit the whole time then it is most definitely water weight. *This is the exact self talk I have to have with myself every time I go up due to water weight.
  • GotDangerDave
    GotDangerDave Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat in the body. I notice after running that my weight was going up before it started coming down. I am noticing more of a difference in the mirror rather than on the scale lately.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I gained about 5lb when I first started Insanity but I was toning up and started to see the weight fall off a few weeks in
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said is great. Also its best to stick with something (calorie goal/exercise program) for a full month, then evaluate your progress and decide if you need to switch things up.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the number on the scale only represents how gravity is affecting you AT THAT PARTICULAR moment. It's not who you are. I lost two inches off my waist before I lost a single pound. Scales can be deceiving. Except food scales, everyone needs one of those (they work way better than people scales).
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat in the body. I notice after running that my weight was going up before it started coming down. I am noticing more of a difference in the mirror rather than on the scale lately.

Please do not spread this misinformation. This person is not making significant muscle gains, enough to affect the scale, in just a few weeks. To say so could cause misleading understanding of what is happening to their body. Gaining muscle has to be deliberate, include progressive weight training, and eating close to maintenance or in a surplus. Running is not going to gain you much muscle.

Also agreeing with water weight. Give it a bit more time. If there still is no loss, adjust accordingly by taking a look at your logging accuracy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being a woman. However, to try to lose weight and be a woman at the same time is to be vexed with complexity as explained above. Keep your intake calories below and near your mfp allowed calories. If your exercise program makes you feel famished, eat back some of the exercise calories as protein and fat. Give the program several months to work. The 2 weeks you've given are not yet enough for the vexation complexity of womanhood to reveal the weight you've been working off.
  • AMVilla
    AMVilla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've really been focusing on tracking everything I eat and I noticed one of the reasons I was failing before is because I was allowing cheat days. I was great all week, so why not reward myself? Right now I'm working on the theory that it takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound. If you take your BMR plus calories burned per day less the calories you eat it takes a while to lose that pound. My cheat days were eating up all the good I was doing!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Two possibilities:
    1. You are nearing ovulation or the start of your period. Water weight gain is common at these times.
    2. You are retaining water due to recently started exercise programs. The water is retained by your body as part of the muscle repair process.

Both of the above water retention issues can mask fat loss, which should be happening as long as you are eating in a deficit. At a certain point, the water retention will subside and, voila, you'll see scale movement. For some people this happens all in one fell swoop--losing a few pounds overnight--and for some is is a gradual slide.

This.

It's not muscle, it's water retention. Happens to everyone who starts a new exercise program or increases exercise.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    AMVilla wrote: »
    I've really been focusing on tracking everything I eat and I noticed one of the reasons I was failing before is because I was allowing cheat days. I was great all week, so why not reward myself? Right now I'm working on the theory that it takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound. If you take your BMR plus calories burned per day less the calories you eat it takes a while to lose that pound. My cheat days were eating up all the good I was doing!

That's why I don't do "cheat" meals/days. I incorporate all that stuff into my daily calories. Have small amounts of chocolate daily, cookies/cake weekly. I didn't restrict any foods.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    AMVilla wrote: »

That's why I don't do "cheat" meals/days. I incorporate all that stuff into my daily calories. Have small amounts of chocolate daily, cookies/cake weekly. I didn't restrict any foods.

I did used to do "cheat" meals but I would bank calories all week for them. So for example I would eat 1,200 every day and then eat 800 on Saturday up until dinner and I'd be able to "spend" an extra 1,500 for a dinner of a burger, fries, a beer. I still managed to lose weight that way. If you're disciplined and you plan for it, it's doable.
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was originally walking and eating at a deficit, and lost 35 lbs, then for 2 weeks no weight change but I lost inches, then I started P90 from beach body. I am doing th he Sculpt schedule. Which uses resistance bands for overhead presses, curls, also lots of squats and pushups and for two more weeks no change on the scale, but lost a inch, this last Sunday I weigh myself for the 5th week, and lost 1.5 lbs and 1 inch. My family is saying I look like I am getting smaller, I see muscle definition in my legs and face, and I was tllx th he same new program, added retaiming. Water, it cold last a month or even two months I was told