DNA testing not worth it

Options
AMVilla
AMVilla Posts: 17 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I went to a company that claims you can lose weight by understanding your DNA. I thought it sounded scientific and made sense to me. My personal results were this: I don't process fat. They wanted me to eat a 35/35/30 diet. (protein/fat/carbs) This is hard to do. It's a lot of protein which automatically comes with fat. The only way to hit is with protein supplements. By the time I hit my calories for the day I was usually under on carbs. They also said I was working out wrong. I like long workouts - start on the arc trainer, move to the bike, then the treadmill. Mix with weights. But they said because of my DNA I should only do short, high intensity workouts. There were also a lot of supplements because the other tests showed I was low on key vitamins. The pills made my stomach upset. So basically, I was miserable. I didn't do well with the program and that's my fault for not "complying." But the info below is on them.

Had my feelings hurt today, so I want to get the word our there about this company. This link is a YELP review I left.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/slimgenerations-mckinney?osq=slim+generation

Right now I'm doing this. I'm counting calories. I'm taking my BMR plus calories burned working out. Then I am subtracting what I eat. I want to maintain a 1,000 deficit each day. If the theory is that one pound is 3,500 calories I should lose a healthy 2 pounds per week. I've been doing this for a month and it appears to be working. So this is a lot simpler. I'll try adding adjustments as I plateau (such as lowering carbs, adding protein, trying high intensity, etc)

Feeling low today. Comments are welcome.

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to lessons learned (the really hard/expensive way), and move on.
    Calorie counting works, i'd just focus on getting an adequate amount of protein and let the rest fall wherever when it comes to macros.
    Nothing wrong with long workouts, if that is what you like.

How much weight do you have to lose? How many calories a day are you eating? 1000 calorie a day deficit is super high, and might cause you to burn out quickly. A more moderate approach might be better for your long term goals.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    AMVilla wrote: »
    I went to a company that claims you can lose weight by understanding your DNA. I thought it sounded scientific and made sense to me. My personal results were this: I don't process fat. They wanted me to eat a 35/35/30 diet. (protein/fat/carbs) This is hard to do. It's a lot of protein which automatically comes with fat. The only way to hit is with protein supplements. By the time I hit my calories for the day I was usually under on carbs. They also said I was working out wrong. I like long workouts - start on the arc trainer, move to the bike, then the treadmill. Mix with weights. But they said because of my DNA I should only do short, high intensity workouts. There were also a lot of supplements because the other tests showed I was low on key vitamins. The pills made my stomach upset. So basically, I was miserable. I didn't do well with the program and that's my fault for not "complying." But the info below is on them.

Had my feelings hurt today, so I want to get the word our there about this company. This link is a YELP review I left.

Right now I'm doing this. I'm counting calories. I'm taking my BMR plus calories burned working out. Then I am subtracting what I eat. I want to maintain a 1,000 deficit each day. If the theory is that one pound is 3,500 calories I should lose a healthy 2 pounds per week. I've been doing this for a month and it appears to be working. So this is a lot simpler. I'll try adding adjustments as I plateau (such as lowering carbs, adding protein, trying high intensity, etc)

Just wanted to highlight all the positive things you're doing! Screw that company that takes advantage of people! You're doing awesome on your own. Keep it up! You've got this! <3

Edit: Holy cow, I just read your review and what they wrote to you! So unprofessional and insulting, to say the very least! And the way they responded to another reviewer on that same page...I just can't even...
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel low. .weight loss industry is in the billions! Ignore what they said! Unless its about a gene that might be linked to a cancer

If u don't exercise they way u love ..u won't exercise.

There is no perfect combo. Every body is different..add age activity any physical problems.

They should feel like crud for making people like u feel bad!

Exercise and log. .eliminate a couple foods.

But mostly love yourself...be good to you.

We all are here for you! Hugs
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Yikes. I have heard of the Ancestry DNA tests, but never one that gives the kind of information you described. I doubt it was accurate, because I have never heard of genes that determine how one "processes" fat, at least on how it relates to body weight. I hate to say this testing was a farce, because I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for it. But I would not take the information given to you very seriously.

This is different the ancestry or 23andme.

These weight loss clinics are popping up everywhere and often seem legit to the average person. They are unaware that they are about to pay a high cost for some doctor to sell them a spiel of woo. These clinics usually offer b12 injections too, they tell clients it will speed up their metabolism and a bunch of other lies. They often prescribe weight loss medicine( legal speed) and then when they are about to get shut down, they close up shop. People have died because of the unsafe weight loss practices these clinics condone. The one that sticks out in my mind was - 154lb 5'6 32yr old lady with a MBA went for help to lose weight. She spent about 5,000 total. They gave her DNA testing, pills, shots, diet plan and workout routine. She died 9 months in. She left behind two small kids. she was just a few pounds over weight but yet this clinic put her on a 900 cal per day low carb diet and gave her pills and shots. She was working out 1.5 hrs per day because they told her that her DNA said she held onto stubborn abdominal fat and needed to trick her body into losing it. if you haven't heard of these clinics, I'm sure you will soon as they are popping up everywhere.. Buyer beware for sure!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    AMVilla Hope you reported them to BBB. And I would take a screen shot of those reviews and responses before they disappear. You have learned a painful but valuable lesson. I am feeling really sorry for you right now. Most people on MFP have succeeded by finding and sticking to a plan that works for them which may include logging, counting calories and macros, and exercising. You will get a lot of support here as long as you stay away from negative threads. Most people are helpful.
  • AMVilla
    AMVilla Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks, all. Haunghtinglyfit, I need to lose 100. My bmr is 1900 so if I eat 1200 I'm not too from my goal. I plan to take it slow. After my experience I quit for a year so any progress is better than that. I appreciate all the positive feedback I've been getting. I feel good today.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. IF you are losing and that is your goal then it is good for you. It reminds me a lot of the Blood Type diet that was the rage back in the 90's (I think). I know it tried to make a resurgence but didn't latch on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    AMVilla wrote: »

Chin up, hang in there and put this away as a lesson learned. Many of us have been in that place of looking for a magic solution. It sounds like you are doing just fine now. :)
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting that you should ever buy expensive vitamins (especially from iffy sources), but vitamins taken on an empty stomach make many people sick. Fwiw.

You learned a lesson the hard way. We've all learned some lesson that way. If that's the dumbest thing you ever do, you'll be a lucky woman. Forget it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that you should ever buy expensive vitamins (especially from iffy sources), but vitamins taken on an empty stomach make many people sick. Fwiw.

You learned a lesson the hard way. We've all learned some lesson that way. If that's the dumbest thing you ever do, you'll be a lucky woman. Forget it.

I don't think we read the same thread.

OP, I'm sorry. The good news is everything you need to know to do this is at your fingertips and you can do it for the cost of a food scale, the food, and any fitness membership you might wish to incorporate at some time. That last one is optional.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The two main thing DNA is used for today is to help exclude a suspect from a crime and to identify if someone is related to you.
    Companies making claims of using your DNA to pinpoint on how to lose weight is just another scam to make money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • riceiscarb
    riceiscarb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    considering... just like human brain, there is still a lot that we don't know about DNA. Until they say they know 100% of human DNA and can change it somehow so i can eat 10000 calories and still lose weight, i'm not going to listen to them or give them a single cent.

with that being said, OP i think you're doing good by following a well proven method (counting/deficit calories) that actually works for you. Ignore those jerks and keep doing what works for you. well done!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Any way to get your money.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They sound awful. Thanks for the heads up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Oh, next the financial services industry will promise to use your DNA (after you pay for the sequencing) to pinpoint and prevent your market losses.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @AMVilla I hope you're feeling better today. When I think of some of the (admittedly, non-diet related) things I've believed it almost makes my hair straight ;-)

Chin up, you're on the right path now x