How often should you weigh in?

Options
I have been avoiding the scale for a few weeks because for about a month it didn't budge. I continue to exercise, eat moderate amounts and am trying to psych myself up to stepping on the scale.
How often should you or do you weigh yourself and what impact does that number have

Replies

• vtakougang
    vtakougang Posts: 46
    Options
    i generally way in once a week, because my goal is to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. i think its good to check in every week because you see what your results are and you see if you're working hard enough, and you may see if you need change the way your eating or exercising.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is something you have to decide for yourself. Everyone is different with how they react to the scale and what it means to them. As a Type A personality, I like to weigh in every day. Whether the number is going up or down, I want to see it. For me, seeing that number every day reminds me that I am committed to this. It doesn't let me go weeks without knowing and then realizing I've gained 5-10 lbs. For me, seeing the number go up by a lb reenergizes me to workout and eat healthy. It doesn't make me want to give up, but to try harder. For others, the scale can be their enemy and it makes them lose faith and give up so they do better not weighing in very often. You have to figure out what works for you. Good luck!

*Edit* --- I only record my weight on MFP one day a week though. I have a set day that I use.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

But I only weigh in once a week.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Lately, every other day..but working on it once a week.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A lot of people suggest you shouldn't weigh in more than once a week. The reason for this is because your weight will fluctuate and it takes a while before anything you eat or drink to leave your system. So sometimes you will weigh more because the food in your system.

Remember it takes a 3500 calorie surplus to gain a pound and 3500 calorie deficit to lose a LB. So unless you stuff your face and eat like 5500 calories in a day without exercising then you didn't actually gain a lb.

So I guess...in short. Weigh in once a week and weigh in early usually when you wake up before you eat or drink. hope this helped.
  • Christina74S
    Christina74S Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in once a week. You just can't let discourage you because eventaully if you keep up the work you've been doing you'll see the number change. Measuring yourself is also good too. I do that like every 2 - 3 weeks. Because the scale may not move due to water weight or muscle tone.

Don't be discouraged and keep up the good work!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale every morning. I record it once a week here, but I like to see how it fluctuates daily. So far, in the 6 weeks I've started weighing myself everyday, I've watched it go from a low of 237 to a high of 246. I started at 243. I know I'm building muscle at the gym and eating better, so the number on the scale isn't bothering me right now. Once I get my body into balance, the weight will start heading in the right direction. So don't be afraid to jump on the scale!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    people weigh once a week but I cant wait so I weigh myself everyday and try not to get too disappointed if there is a big change in the scale
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, naked first thing in the morning, after going potty:). My DH laughs, but I insist on weighing me, not my clothes or the glass of water I just drank. Everyone should do what is best for them, but I weigh in everyday because it gives me the incentive and/or motivation to work out in the AM and stay on track for the day. I understand what causes my fluctuations (sodium and menstral cycle to be specific) so I am not discouraged by a little fluctuation now and again.
  • ikatsume
    ikatsume Posts: 8
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, naked first thing in the morning, after going potty:). My DH laughs, but I insist on weighing me, not my clothes or the glass of water I just drank. Everyone should do what is best for them, but I weigh in everyday because it gives me the incentive and/or motivation to work out in the AM and stay on track for the day. I understand what causes my fluctuations (sodium and menstral cycle to be specific) so I am not discouraged by a little fluctuation now and again.

I do the exact same thing as you do.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Tip--Also allow yourself time to actually wake up..I'll lay in bed an extra 15-20 minutes and then weigh in..weighing in AS you wake up can seem heavier on the scale--as I learn every single time.
  • Schrodi
    Schrodi Posts: 12
    Options
    I try to weigh in once a week at least.
    If I do it everyday I find myself discouraged by the small increments of change but weekly works out better for me.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Personally I only weight in once a week, more than that just seems like its beginning to venture into an unhealthy obsession on weight-loss, and less than that prevents an accurate track of progress IMO.

I personally weight in every Sunday morning before I do anything else so that there are a constant set of conditions (or as constant as they can be kept anyway).

Just my personal routine :)