Paleo Diet

Options
Does it work? Do you have to cut all your wheat, rice, pasta, etc out? How hard is it to stick to?

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 50 of a 60 day challenge. Most people do it as a challenge (30, 45, 60, or 90 days) rather than a diet. It isn't really sustainable in the long run.

It is going back to the basics, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and lean meat. No starches, grains or processed foods. Some versions of it allow for green/black tea and black coffee. Others are strictly water.

I've enjoyed it as a challenge. It really is clean eating but, without any grains or starches I couldn't do it long term. Coming out of it after day 60 I'm going to slowly add back the foods I've been without.
  • echarles
    echarles Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried the Paleo Diet and ended up gaining weight from all the nuts and meat.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I tried the Paleo Diet and ended up gaining weight from all the nuts and meat.

I've lost about 15 lbs. on it but, have limited the nuts and stuck to lean meat, veggies and fruit. That being said, I'm always full and have a really difficult time getting enough calories in.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am doing a whole foods/plant-based diet and I can eat all the rice, grains and pasta I want. I am losing about 3 pounds a week on 1700 calories/day. I can give up meat and dairy, but not my healthy carbs. I don't even see it as a diet, but rather a lifestyle.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 50 of a 60 day challenge. Most people do it as a challenge (30, 45, 60, or 90 days) rather than a diet. It isn't really sustainable in the long run.

It is going back to the basics, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and lean meat. No starches, grains or processed foods. Some versions of it allow for green/black tea and black coffee. Others are strictly water.

I've enjoyed it as a challenge. It really is clean eating but, without any grains or starches I couldn't do it long term. Coming out of it after day 60 I'm going to slowly add back the foods I've been without.

I agree. I, personally, don't think that a Paleo lifestyle is maintainable for a lot of people (some, yes... most, no). I've been thinking about doing a Paleo Challenge myself, but I'm really worried about what will happen when I start eating carbs and dairy and whatnot again... So, I haven't done it.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet since December 2009 ... I love it and plan to stick with it for life. Acne, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, and the dark circles under my eyes ... they all just went away after a couple of months on this diet.

I eat rice about once a week or every other week because I like sushi, and I use butter instead of canola oil, but those are the only modifications I make. Other than that I'm eating meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts.

I gained weight on this diet in the first year, but that was because I was buying nuts by the pound and eating multiple cups of them at a time. I lost the same weight pretty quickly by limiting nuts to about an ounce per day.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    PS. The downside is that it's more expensive than the typical diet. Grains are extremely cheap per calorie, so when you cut them out you pay more to eat the same number of calories.

Once I sat down and calculated the "price per 300 calories" for the foods I usually eat. I won't lie - it's expensive. My food costs pretty much doubled. I'm still on the diet after a year and a half because the health benefits I experienced were worth the extra cost to me. I have a better quality of life on this diet.

I've heard of Paleo dieters with more reasonable food costs than me - sometimes buying food directly from farmers in bulk helps. Unfortunately I live alone and can't eat a half CSA share all by myself, and I also don't have the freezer space to buy half a cow and freeze it. :P So I still just buy food in the meat, fish, and produce sections of the grocery store.

Nuts are the cheapest thing per calorie that I eat, but I don't want to get too many of my calories from nuts because they're very calorie-dense and not very filling!

Hope this helps ... and anyone curious about the Paleo diet is welcome to friend me and browse my food log if you're curious.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Been Paleo about 6 months. Down 42 lbs, 7 jean sizes and about 13% bodyfat. I also use LeanGains intermittent fasting.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Does it work? Do you have to cut all your wheat, rice, pasta, etc out? How hard is it to stick to?

If done correctly, ANY diet will work.

You just have to find out which will work for you.

I prefer not to cut anything out of my nutrition plans which means I don't do paleo. I find that cutting out anything completely means I will just have outrageous cravings that lead to binging.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    As far as the OP's original question "how hard is it to stick to?" It's not. Initially you may get what some refer to as "carb flu" (kind of a withdrawal) but after that it's pretty smooth sailing. Cutting out sugars, wheat, grains, etc I have no cravings for these things and don't miss them. From what I've experienced, WHEN you have these things in your diet you crave them more.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    As far as the OP's original question "how hard is it to stick to?" It's not. Initially you may get what some refer to as "carb flu" (kind of a withdrawal) but after that it's pretty smooth sailing. Cutting out sugars, wheat, grains, etc I have no cravings for these things and don't miss them. From what I've experienced, WHEN you have these things in your diet you crave them more.

This is true for me as well.

This has truly been a lifestyle CHANGE for me.
    I won't go back to my old way of eating.
    Very sustainable way of eating for me.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I went primal 20 days ago, and have lost 12 pounds in that time. I feel great. I'm enjoying my daily menus very much, and the primal view on fitness is so much less stressful than the daily hard workouts I felt I needed to do when I was eating grains.

I decided to go primal because diabetes is slowly killing my father, and the only thing that I can do about it is to prevent myself from having the same life story. Eating primal is very much about moderating insulin production. It's certainly sustainable, especially if the stakes are high, like they are for me. I really see this as a life-or-death decision for myself.

The truth is that I am completely happy with primal eating - it is absolutely delicious and satisfying, and I don't care that I'm not having the grains. Yes, this means I need to find the time (and the budget) to shop for high-quality foods and to cook for myself, and prep and bring along primal foods when I'm away from home. It takes commitment and thought, but isn't our health worth that?
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my son has celiac which means he has to eliminate all gluten. He lives off the concept of this diet. He feels great. I chose to follow the same diet and I also feel great. Its alot like eating clean. Well its really eating clean because you are not eating processed foods which our bodies are not designed to eat. More and more people are finding themselves gluten intolerant and diabetic because our bodies were not designed to eat the way we do now. So our bodies are fighting back and not reforming to this unnatural diet. I feel its a great lifestyle and not a diet that you would follow 30, 60 ,or 90 days because I am very much against those fad diets that restrict you. I feel one should choose a healthy lifestyle and live it and love it!
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I'm enjoying my daily menus very much, and the primal view on fitness is so much less stressful than the daily hard workouts I felt I needed to do when I was eating grains.

This is another benefit of Paleo/Primal....you don't have to do all of the gut busting cardio to get results. I'm not implying this about anyone on this thread (so don't take it that way) but a paleo diet is typically ideal for someone who has a lot of weight to lose and has carb "issues."

Whether it's being celiac or your body just doesn't "do" carbs well, like myself, this way of eating should let you scale back your workouts and not have to gorge on carbs after a high intensity cardio workout. The way of eating does most of the work.

I was busting my hump doing P90X/Insanity workouts, trying to stuff myself with carbs to recover from the workouts, and was swimming upstream.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Been on Paleo/Primal since the first of the year, down 46 pounds, and there is no, none, nodda cravings for junk like grains and sugars, THIS IS THE BEST DIET OUT THERE, PERIOD :smile:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I went Paleo/Primal for my insulin resistance, and because I crossfit. I have lost a ton of inches - although I can report from my highest weight I've lost 33 pounds.
    I do have the occasional cheat - Pizza... alcohol. Wine is the worst trigger for me as it starts up crazy sugar cravings and spins me out of control.

I don't miss bread, I don't miss rice or pasta. I cook it for my family, I just won't eat it.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options

I eased into it slowly and managed to avoided the carb withdrawal but I did get really bad cheese withdrawal.

Before I tried the Paleo diet, I had already cut out all refined sugar and junk food, because sugar has always given me headaches and made my skin feel icky. So my pre-Paleo diet consisted of whole wheat bread, cheese, milk, Shredded Wheat, peanut butter, fruit, eggs, and occasional chicken.

At first I replaced grains and milk with more meat and vegetables and different kinds of nuts, but I continued to eat cheese. A few months later, I removed cheese because it was giving me withdrawal headaches if I went more than a day without eating it. I had to phase out cheese very gradually because of the withdrawal headaches.

Cheese was definitely the hardest for me to give up! My withdrawal headaches were migraines bad enough to bring me to tears. It was horrible. But I haven't had a single headache since then.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eased into and average about 30-70 carbs per day and little to no sugar (except a little from fruit such as berries etc -- the brain still needs glucose). My opinion is that it's sustainable if done correctly and it works. Eating fresh vegetables, some fruit, good protein with with little carb and lots of water is what the body is designed for -- not processed food, refined sugar and white flour.

Oh yeah, i did lose a lot of weight, never get headaches, dandruff, acne or digestive problems anymore and my sleep is very regular. I recommend doing a lot of your own research. Everyone is different.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I think Paleo plus gluten-free grains would be a good option for people who want to try it but don't want to give up grains just yet. Lots of people are sensitive to gluten grains without even realizing it - but non-gluten grains tend to be less problematic.

I personally had no idea that I was sensitive to gluten until I stopped eating it. Depressed, anxious, and needing 10 hours of sleep per night ... I thought that just me and the way I was. It wasn't ... it was from gluten.