Spaghetti squash, cauli rice, etc actually good???

Options

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash better than the best pasta I've made, but my husband remains unconvinced. I've tried the cauliflower thang once, haven
    t had a chance since, and I want to do more.
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    cla11b wrote: »
    How do you spiral it? Do you need a special tool or just a knife?
    I bought a $10 vegetti spiralizerfrom Wal-Mart. It makes the prettiest and tastiest zoodles out there!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use the paderno spiralizer because the little hand held ones seem like they'd be impossible to do rutabaga, turnips, beets, and other round or oddly shaped vegetables. Plus it's only $29 on Amazon.

For the cauliflower rice, I use a box grater. I like the texture better than with a food processor.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash, but I can't think of it as a substitute for pasta. Pasta is pasta, squash is squash, they're different things but both are good in their own way. I agree that spaghetti squash can get watery and needs a thicker sauce. I think cauliflower is gross and nothing has changed my mind about that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I use riced cauliflower as a sub for mashed potatoes. It's pretty amazing. It has the same consistency, and imo, a better flavor.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    They're vegetables. Do you think veggies are nasty?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is bank! I like cauliflower cooked as is or mashed. Rice cauliflower?? Meh. I would just eat the rice. If you are inventive, make curry with cauliflower. Zucchini is the bomb.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot. Make turkey spaghetti sauce BUT take two cups of baby carrots, grind them in a prep or Cuisinart until it's the consistency of ground meat and add that to the turkey as it is cooking. It will thicken up the sauce, add a slight sweetness that takes away the acidity of the tomato and well you get the minerals in the carrot and barely notice it. You can do it with zucchini too.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I *love* spaghetti squash. Rubbed with a bit of EVOO and roasted in the oven, then a touch of parmesan cheese, salt & pepper and you've got yourself a very tasty side. I love roasted cauliflower - usually toss it in a bit of EVOO and lemon juice and add some spices and it's delish. Those are actually 2 of my favourite vegetables. Zucchini, on the other hand, I find tasteless and pointless.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love steamed vegetables. Pile the veggies in a steamer and steam all together == potatoes, sweet potato, rhutabaga, onions, broccoli, etc. I recently found bags of diced cauliflower at Walmart. It is great to slip into a lot of things, and I don't even taste it (like on homemade pizza--I pile it on and I can't even tell it's there). Spaghetti squash is good, but I prefer it with a little butter, cinnamon and sweetener (or honey) instead of with pasta sauce I slice cucumbers, onions and peppers into a jar; then, fill with a little over half of vinegar and the rest water; throw in a little salt, pepper and a pinch of sweetener. Let sit in fridge for a bit---yummy!!!
  • kahed8
    kahed8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has frozen bags of cauliflower rice...all the work is done and very versatile :)
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have tried and loved cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash, and zucchini noodles, when prepared properly. In all cases, that means incorporating good sauces/flavors, because on their own these foods can be a bit disappointing. For example, I use cauliflower rice in stir-fry with teriyaki sauce or honey-garlic sauce, but it would be bland and awkward just steamed on its own. I find spaghetti squash too sweet and almost sour on its own, but it is really tasty with a tomato-based sauce, or as the crust for a pizza or quiche. And zucchini noodles are very tasty, especially when sautéed with flavorful components like onions and garlic and with tomato or alfredo sauces (but that may be because I strongly associate zucchini with Italian cuisine - there could be many other good flavor combinations).

I definitely recommend giving some of these a try. I am especially satisfied with cauliflower rice as an easy substitute for regular rice and spaghetti squash crusts have helped me satisfy pizza cravings at a lower-carb price. Good luck with whatever you try!
  • annnastasia6776
    annnastasia6776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if it's not something you are used to then it may take a while for you to get used to the veggies. I love them, I actually don't like white pasta or rice, it just has no flavor to it at all. I love spiralized zucchini (when I havn't had too much of it because of my garden) I like to cook it up and use it as my pasta or mixed with pasta. I also like spaghetti squash but it takes a bit more effort to prepare it so don't have it often. I have not had cauliflower rice so I don't know how it tastes but I like long brown rice, it's good and fills me up.
  • unique741
    unique741 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally love cauliflower rice Asian style with sesame oil and other veggies plus lemongrass.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Two absolute favorites. ...cauliflower rice made with coconut oil, tumeric, paprika
    Cauliflower mash.....I could eat that every day.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried cauliflower rice yet but I'm a huge fan of zoodles and spaghetti squash. Don't go into it thinking it's going to taste like pasta, though. A lot of my friends expected zoodles to be the perfect substitute and were highly disappointed, haha.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had this awesome coconut curry quinoa in a restaurant that I've gotten realllllly close to recreating. I'm going to see if I can add in the cauliflower crumbles tonight.
  • HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My super picky husband and 3 year old daughter love cauliflower fried rice. Made with peas, carrots, scallions, bean sprouts, and broccoli. We usually add stir fried chicken and scrambled egg. With a dash of soy sauce and some Chinese 5 spice, it is pretty darn close to fried rice!
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    HeidiThe9 wrote: »
    My super picky husband and 3 year old daughter love cauliflower fried rice. Made with peas, carrots, scallions, bean sprouts, and broccoli. We usually add stir fried chicken and scrambled egg. With a dash of soy sauce and some Chinese 5 spice, it is pretty darn close to fried rice!

That sounds amazing