Coffee good or bad?

Options
I read in Women's Health that a cup of coffee a day is good for you. I also read that it's bad for you and a good substitute is 1 cup of grapefruit juice at breakfast to jump start your metabilism. What do you MFP beleive/know about coffee? One cup a day black or no cups?

Thanks!

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have had coffee everyday for years and did WW after I had my daughter and lost over 100 pounds while still drinking coffee daily.....
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like it. I haven't researched it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I gave up coffee and all beverages with caffeine over two years ago and feel much better as a result.:bigsmile:
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've read its good to drink 1 cup a day. Bonus if its before a workout.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In moderation it is just fine. A cup a day is great. A pot a day... not so much. ;)
  • Schrodi
    Schrodi Posts: 12
    Options
    I've never been a fan of coffee, but I can't get away from my 3 cups of tea throughout the day. I did end up switching to decaffeinated tea and using 0 calorie sugar which has been making a huge difference for me so far.
    I don't think coffee itself is bad but too much of anything can be bad, it's up to you to gauge what you think is best. As far as I've read, different sources will tell you contradicting information about coffee.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not sure what MFP believes, but I have had a large skinny late (call them flat whites here in NZ) every day since I started in September last year - and now 97lbs later I still have one every morning.....the rest of the day I drink green tea, peppermin tea or water.....

Just work the calories of the milk into your daily plan and you are fine!!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Coffee itself is pretty good for you. Caffeine helps boost your metabolism etc.

The problem arises when you start adding creamer, sugar, flavoring, etc which adds a ton of calories. I can't stomach black coffee, so I don't drink it.

If you drink your coffee light and sweet (like I do) try to wean yourself off of the cream and sugar.
  • Shrek55
    Shrek55 Posts: 14
    Options
    A natural thermogenic, raises inner body core temperature which equals fat loss. Use in moderation or your heart may speed up, begnin issue. For each cup you drink make sure you drink an additoanlcup of water. 2 a day wont hurt.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee snob/addict so my input is suspect. :drinker: :bigsmile:
    I drink between 2 cups and 2 pots a day and have for the last 25 years. I was a late bloomer and I did not drink my first cup till I was 23. I drink it black, but i also drink about a galllon or so of water plus seltzer everyday too. I say enjoy and the only thing I've heard is if you don't use a paper filter there is a chemical in coffee that can mess with your cholesterol, but if you use a paper filter it's okay. Not sure if its true and I've brewed it both ways and even though i'm obese cholesterol is fine. go figure.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The science is so up an down on coffee. Seems to have some benefits, but too much of it can hinder some people.

Doesn't matter to me. I LOVE coffee and am NOT giving it up. I have 1-2 cups a day (with sweetener/creamer). :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    As with anything moderation is the key. I read earlier that a cup of grapefruit juice will help jumpstart your metabolism. Here's another tip........My sister-in-law (who is a dietician) suggested to me the first thing I should do in the morning (before you eat or drink anything) is to drink a glass of room temperature lemon water. I usually squeeze half of a lemon in the water. This also helps to boost your metabolism and also helps your liver out. I like it b/c it makes me feel good.
  • lisajg123
    lisajg123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think everything in moderation is ok but its when you are having full fat milky coffees that are loaded with calories that it becomes a bad thing. i have also heard luke warm water with lemon juice is the best thing for your digestion first thing :)
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups in the morning with cream and sugar. I account for those calories every day. To me its part of my routine and a small pleasure in life to enjoy. Bottoms Up!:drinker:
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with pitbullmama. I LOVE my coffee and cant give it up!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-4 cups every day... regular in the morning and decaf in the afternoons and evenings. Before I started counting calories I used to eat a "desert" (something sweet) after every meal. I replaced that with a cup of flavored coffee with light creamer and a little almond milk... only about 20 calories ;)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup almost everyday! I just love the taste of it. I used to put lots of sugar and creamer but now I just put a serving of fat free vanilla creamer and I'm goood :)

Once in a blue moon I'll have a second cup but this is rare. Too much coffee makes me bounce off the walls. Aside from my morning coffee, I'll drink water and that's about it. I heard it helps boost your metabolism? Even if it doesn't, I will NEVER give up my coffee. I do not drink soda or juice or even iced tea or lemonade anymore so the coffee is my only "flavored drink".

And I do log the coffee and creamer daily! :)
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the health benefits of coffee. It seems to be one of those foods/drinks that no one can seem to agree on.

What I do know it that I won't give up my coffee. When people suggest that I give it up for whatever reason, I tell them that I don't drink, smoke or party. I have given up most sugars. I am generally pretty thrifty and don't go shopping very much. I am not giving up my coffee. It is my last real vice.

I have modified it greatly, I get regular coffee with sugar-free flavor and nonfat. milk or almond milk at home. And I account for it everyday.

I believe that any food can be ok in moderation. Not necessarily the best for us, but sometime the need is more than nutritional.