breastfeeding- need supportive friends

Options
I just recently had my 4th child and am beginning my journey to being healthy again. I did not actually gain much weight with this last baby, only 20 lbs, but I have been over weight for many years and thus have A LOT to lose. about 100 lbs to be exact. I have had horrible back/hip pain for the last 10 months which I thought was due to the baby but have recently discovered that it is due to my arthritis and will not go away until I lose most of this extra weight. I am frustrated because I also have hypothyroidism which makes losing weight very difficult. I need to find some friends on MFP that can keep me motivated. On top of all of it, I am nursing which means that I am playing the "find the correct amount of calories" game. I am really in the need for some friends that are moms that are nursing that can relate or people with hypothyroidism that understand the difficulties that come along with that... or just anyone that is fun to talk to... love this site and am really pumped up to start this journey again...

Blessings!

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    You and I sound pretty similar! I had my 5th baby last June. I didn't gain a lot (and still had the weight from #3 and #4 on me). I BF as well. :-D I didn't start really losing weight until I started taking a natural thyroid supplement. I don't know if it's psychological or physiological, but I know I'm not going to stop taking it!

Good luck!!
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my first in December and am still breastfeeding, add me if you like! :) I am always looking for new mom's on here and supportive friends :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I have read that there is actually a way to enter breast feeding. I believe it is under your food diary. It should give you about 500 extra calories a day as long as you are baby's sole source of nutrition.

Some women lose quite well with bf. Others tend to hang onto the weight a bit more until baby is weaned. So don't be too hard on yourself! Make sure you have enough calories, and enough nutrients (a multivitamin, like your prenatals, might not be a bad idea), and plenty of water. The most important thing right now is to focus on feeding your baby well.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I will be having baby #4 in about 3 months, and joining you in the breast feeding journey again. :)
  • myroots
    myroots Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My third is 15 months now and I am done breastfeeding, but I also have hypothyroid and struggle to take the weight off. Add me if you like. We can support each other.
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have read that there is actually a way to enter breast feeding. I believe it is under your food diary. It should give you about 500 extra calories a day as long as you are baby's sole source of nutrition.

Some women lose quite well with bf. Others tend to hang onto the weight a bit more until baby is weaned. So don't be too hard on yourself! Make sure you have enough calories, and enough nutrients (a multivitamin, like your prenatals, might not be a bad idea), and plenty of water. The most important thing right now is to focus on feeding your baby well.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I will be having baby #4 in about 3 months, and joining you in the breast feeding journey again. :)

I put my bfing in through my food diary and allot 500 cals for it... I am still trying to figure out what number is right for me. Just started about a week ago and haven't found that magic number yet that allows my supply to stay strong and lose weight... I guess it will take some time to figure it all out. I am still taking my prenatals and trying to drink lots of water...
    Thanks for you post... I'm hoping I figure it all out sooner rather than later because I tend to be VERY hard on myself (I am working on this). LOL. Congrats on baby #4... I love big families and wouldn't want it any other way.
  • Mommy_Sans_The_Fat
    Options
    I want in! I have a December baby too that i'm nursing and unfortunately i'm one of those people that don't lose weight from breastfeeding.:( It's so tempting to stop because I am so tired all the time and my family needs more than i'm giving them right now.
  • bethberg12
    bethberg12 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Count me in, too. It will help remind me to login and track.
    My baby is 7 months and I am still nursing/pumping. Struggling with staying full and making good food choices - playing the "calorie" game as someone else noted. How much to eat? What to eat? How to stay full from healthy foods? And I'm STARVING all the time.

Plus, my supply is starting to drop and that stresses me out, too. :-(