Is too much protein constipating me?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
Is it possible that having too much protein is constipating me? I've been eating at least 55g of protein everyday. Sometimes I'm having 80-120g of it per day. My fiber intake and water intake are also usually high so I thought for sure I was having enough fiber and water to help things move quickly through my system, but for the past few weeks I've felt constipated. Then the past 2 days I had much less protein than usual (around 30-40g per day) and things are moving just fine through me! So do you think the protein has anything to do with it, or is it a coincidence?

Replies

• BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I also had this problem when I did the popular high protein/low carb diet! Drink a LOT of water and get your fiber! I wish they'd have had these Fiber one bars at that time!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Um yah.. Last week i was all about high protein and low carb, well since most of my carbs were actually my high fiber choices I found out the hard way about protein. So this week i am not going to crazy.

Basically i replaced my high fiber cereals with egg white omelets most of the week and lowered my whole grain rice/pasta portions.
  • Way2Slick
    Way2Slick Posts: 3
    Options
    Try mixing some lemon juice (real not bottled) into a cup of warm water in the morning. It's a natural diuretic so it'll help plus it boosts metabolism and restores the ph levels in your body. Mix in some honey if the taste is to much for you but avoid adding sugar (it actually helps flush sugar and salt out so by adding it to the mix you're reducing it's effectiveness).
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at a couple of days. I think it may be the small amount of green leafy veg in your diet causing the constipation. Try adding a small salad to your lunch and at least a cup of something green with dinner. Drink plenty of water and see if that helps.I'm vegetarian so I get plenty of fiber, but it when I have green heavy days that I really see a difference. Also I've noticed having a cup of broccoli with dinner makes for a really healthy trip to the bathroom in the AM.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i also have a problem i usually go 2 the toilet 1ce a week and sometimes im very uncomfortable because i cannot go, i started eating cerials with fibre and all the stuff 2 help, i also deink a peppermint tea every night but i still dont go :sad:
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options
    I just took a peek at a couple of days. I think it may be the small amount of green leafy veg in your diet causing the constipation. Try adding a small salad to your lunch and at least a cup of something green with dinner. Drink plenty of water and see if that helps.I'm vegetarian so I get plenty of fiber, but it when I have green heavy days that I really see a difference. Also I've noticed having a cup of broccoli with dinner makes for a really healthy trip to the bathroom in the AM.
    i will b trying this, im not keen on cooked veg but ill give it a bash, thanx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i also have a problem i usually go 2 the toilet 1ce a week and sometimes im very uncomfortable because i cannot go, i started eating cerials with fibre and all the stuff 2 help, i also deink a peppermint tea every night but i still dont go :sad:
    Can we see your food diary?
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

I'm going to try doing a week of keeping my fiber about the same, but lowering my protein to 40-70g per day if possible and eating more greens (I know I need to work on that!). Will also try the lemon water thing and see if it helps. :smile:
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    This sounds tasty and interesting, but don't use a diuretic if you are constipated...it will dehydrated you and make it worse. Not saying that the post is bad, just not good for your issue (will keep in mind to try when I feel like I have water retention).

Try mixing some lemon juice (real not bottled) into a cup of warm water in the morning. It's a natural diuretic so it'll help plus it boosts metabolism and restores the ph levels in your body. Mix in some honey if the taste is to much for you but avoid adding sugar (it actually helps flush sugar and salt out so by adding it to the mix you're reducing it's effectiveness).
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    too much calcium can bind you up, so if you're drinking a lot of milk and other dairy, it could lead to constipation. I am always under on my protein and don't go crazy on dairy (unless it's with cultures like acidophiles milk or yogurt), so I don't usually have any issues....
  • Seajolly
    Options
    too much calcium can bind you up, so if you're drinking a lot of milk and other dairy, it could lead to constipation. I am always under on my protein and don't go crazy on dairy (unless it's with cultures like acidophiles milk or yogurt), so I don't usually have any issues....

Not a dairy problem, as I do not have that much dairy per day, and what I do have will be yogurt, cottage cheese, or the occasional Babybel mini cheese.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

this made me both laugh and almost cry at the same time, lol. . . i have no tried and true advice that may work for everyone, but i go at least once a day, and the harder or more intense my workout is the day before i go. i drink green tea, i go, i drink a butt load of water, like 16servings{8ounce each}, i go, i get a lot of sleep {most days}, i go, if i don't go i contribute it to high sugar or no salad the day before. i try to eat a salad everyday
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think most causes during weight loss are do to lack of fiber and another biggie FAT in our diet. My fix is drink plenty of water, eat fruits, namely apples and pears and prunes with the latter sometimes causing a blow out depending on how many you consume lol. And i take a Psyilium fiber supplement twice a day. All fiber isn't equal i try to make sure i get about 35g a day with half of it being soluble and half insoluble. Good luck.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options
    Can we see your food diary?
    i think its friends only but hold on ill change it now, thanx.x
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options

this made me both laugh and almost cry at the same time, lol. . . i have no tried and true advice that may work for everyone, but i go at least once a day, and the harder or more intense my workout is the day before i go. i drink green tea, i go, i drink a butt load of water, like 16servings{8ounce each}, i go, i get a lot of sleep {most days}, i go, if i don't go i contribute it to high sugar or no salad the day before. i try to eat a salad everyday
    i also do these things, drink green tea, peppermint tea, honey n lemon, lots of water at least 8 glasses. i Eat salad most nughts 4 my dinner. lol, when i eat crap i can go no bother lol! thanx tho!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Fruits n veggies are nature's broom ;)

But really, protein won't constipate you unless you ingest ridiculous amounts of it and nothing else.

Good rule of thumb is 1 gram per kg of body weight. So you do probably go over, but not enough that eating more fruit wont help.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whoops double post.