What is your secret to weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    annie_858 wrote: »
    No sugar, low carbs, high protein, lots of chicken, veggies and smoothies!

Oh I almost forgot. Post workout I consume 40-60g of dextrose or maltodextrin. Literally pure simple insulin spiking carbs. Please do explain
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and don't lie. Log everything. Meet your protein and fiber goals.
    If someone tells you they know the secret to losing weight and that secret isn't centered on lowering your caloric intake, they are trying to sell you something. Period.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Oh I almost forgot. Post workout I consume 40-60g of dextrose or maltodextrin. Literally pure simple insulin spiking carbs. Please do explain

I might be wrong, but I think she's just saying that this is what works for her. Doesn't necessarily apply to others, its just the 'secret' that gives her good results.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Ahahaha. I eat 150g of sugar a day from fruits and other sources along with 350g of carbs easily. Doing that I dropped from 13% body fat to 7% over 2.5 months losing a total of 12lbs.

500 grams of carbs a day? What's your calorie allotment?
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started off 2 years ago following New Atkins and over time have modified it to LCHF. A year ago I discovered MFP and it has helped keep me focussed on my end goal which is an elusive 3kg away. In total I have lost 35kg and every one has been an achievement.
    There are 5 success factors,
    1) Track what you eat
    2) Plan your meals ahead
    3) Get a proper amount of sleep - that means 8 hours
    4) Find people who will support you (ignore those who are waiting for you to fail and being negative)
    5) Reward yourself but not with food - I set my rewards at every 7kg as that's a dress size (guess I like clothes, lol)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    • Soda, Juice, Shakes, Cookies, Brownies in moderation
    • Fancy restaurant desserts in moderation
    • Treating myself responsibly eating the things I like in moderation
    • Milk shake in moderation
    • Fancy restaurant meals that I really want to eat, in moderation, because if I'm paying big I better get the most enjoyment out of it
    • Water when I'm thirsty, other drinks when I feel like having other drinks
    • I measure food honestly when I cook, and use a scale
    • Carbs with or without protein depending on my preference at the time
    • I don't worry about sugar and don't even have it listen on my diary. Out of curiousity I looked up yesterday, and it turns out I consumed 146 grams of sugar.

Basically I can sum up my personal dieting experience like this: I eat the things I like, I don't eat the things I don't like, I like fruits and vegetables so I have a lot of them which helps bulk up my meals, and judge when it's worth eating a higher calorie food and when it isn't. My calorie goal is also flexible. As long as I'm under maintenance, I'm happy with what I'm doing, but preferably try to stay around a deficit of 1/2-2 pounds a week.

• geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Buying a food scale is probably the #1 best thing I ever did for losing weight.

Pre-logging is the second. Especially if I know I'm going to be going out somewhere, I'll take a look at the menu and decide what's "worth it" and what isn't. If I really want something, I'll get it, and either I won't eat the whole thing or I'll adjust calories throughout my day to make up for it.

There are a couple of foods that are pretty high calorie and binge-triggering for me, so while I don't generally completely cut out any particular food, those I try to get as least often as possible. When I do get them, I try to get them in small quantities so there's not leftover food. For example, pizza by the slice instead of an entire pizza.

If I have a bad day, I try not to stress over it. Tomorrow is a new day and I can try again.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Ahahaha. I eat 150g of sugar a day from fruits and other sources along with 350g of carbs easily. Doing that I dropped from 13% body fat to 7% over 2.5 months losing a total of 12lbs.

500 grams of carbs a day? What's your calorie allotment?

Sorry, 350 is the total number, I was just mentioning the fact that I consume up to 150g of sugar. Poor wording. For my calories its anywhere from 2400-2900 depending on how severe of a deficit I want.