Anxiety? Don't know where to start?

Options
I think this is such a cool community. So many people pulling together to help us all achieve our own personal goals.

I see a few people struggling a bit, and wanted to offer a hand to whomever needs it. I don't have a ton of free time, but what free time I have I'm more than willing to use to help out.

A bit about me. In January I stepped on the scale and weighed in at over 300lbs. My whole life I had been large, but that caused me to take a second and reassess my life. At 24, single, I figured it was time to make a change.

In the ~7months since, I've lost 90-93lbs and 17" on my waist healthily and safely with the help of friends, family, 2 nutritionists, and a personal coach. I get that not everyone has that kind of access, so I wanted to offer a hand to help whomever I could.

Nutrition is key. I now eat twice as much as I used to, but naturally lose weight. No program. No banned foods. More than happy to lay it all out if anyone wants.

If I could do it, you can too. Reach for a better you.

Message and add me. We're all in this together.

Replies

• Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, great job! =)
  • paulinep409
    paulinep409 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a great achievement. I have also been big all my life and now really want to try and get rid of some weight. My husband is also very heavy but not motivated to lose it. So I'm going to do this on my own. Hopefully he will stop buying all the fattening foods. Any tips to get started gratefully received. Thank you
  • RobRicketts
    RobRicketts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Clear out all the super fatty foods. If "snacking" is a thing in your house, look at marinated strips of chicken, fruit, vegetables, or other foods that are just as filling-but not "calorie dense."

Not all food is created equal.

Think about it this way:

A "McDouble" from McDonalds has about 500 calories. Mostly fat, but 500-600 calories. But it's so small, you need 2+ just to feel full. That's over 1000 calories just for a snack.

That's the same amount of calories as 1.5-2lbs of chicken (4-5 chicken breasts; 7-10 tenderloins.) one will fill you up for an hour, and one will fill you up all day (and then some) for the same number of calories.

Same goes for what you drink. A soda has 250-400 calories per can. Unsweet iced tea has almost zero. Both quench your thirst, but you can easily save a thousand or so calories just by making this one switch.

One other thing: focus on quality of food over quantity. Carbs are just as much your friend as anything else... In moderation. DONT BE AFRAID TO EAT. But when you're hungry, focus on "quality" or a less "calorie dense" alternative to chips or snacks.
  • RobRicketts
    RobRicketts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Only one thing will cause you to lose weight. Ever. Eating at a caloric deficit.

If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

If you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

Find out what your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate... Google it) is, and plan around that. Take in to account your level of activity.

Set your macro levels and stick to them. This app is one of the best apps out there for tracking. Eat what you want, but HIT YOUR GOALS. If you set your goals at a caloric deficit and hit them, you will lose weight. If you don't, you will gain, or maintain weight.

My BMR naturally is about 2100 calories. This means that when I sit on the couch all day, my body needs 2100 calories just to function. I have a heavy workout plan that burns 1500-2300 calories a day. So, if I eat at 2200 calories every day, I will always be eating at a caloric deficit. My macros are currently 180c 170p and 80f. It's a "maintain" plan, but it's such a steep deficit that the weight comes off fairly easily now (and yes, that's a new thing. Weight never used to come off. Ever.)
  • iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Awesome jobs... so impressed and very good inputs. I am struggling to loose last 6 kgs. I will try the suggested points !!!
  • vincema01
    vincema01 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi , way to go ... you are using a nutritionist what are the benefits , I myself am toying with the idea but not sure .
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great work
  • Megstinz
    Megstinz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't need a lot of help -- just moral support. Are you open to adding friends and giving some daily support as needed? That helps me with accountability and I have a long way to go on my road to being the fittest me I can become.
  • jstalt0525
    jstalt0525 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration! I have problems with the number crunching and what they mean. Do you think going to a nutritionist was a wise investment? Been thinking of going.