Quit commercial gym to join a strength and conditioning (free weight) gym

Options
I want to lift properly and feel limited at my current gym. Anyone go to a strength and conditioning /free weight gym? Thoughts?
I plan on working on compound lifts and perhaps throw in Olympic lifting as they offer courses

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I train at a private gym and it's amazing. Love the equipment, atmosphere, everything.

The only downside is that it's pretty far from everything else I do, but that doesn't stop me from getting there five days a week. The extra commute is just built into my day. I'm not sure I even know how to behave in a commercial gym environment anymore, and the other two powerlifting gyms are even further away from me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Best of luck.

You mentioned a key thing, regarding offering courses in Oly lifting. Oly lifting is great, but technique is important. Make sure the instructor is qualified. If you're new to free weights might also be good to have the instructor take a look at your form so you start out on the right path.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I train at what I call my "brogym." I love it. The personal attention is great - the trainers and owner know everyone who comes in and are always willing to listen and offer help. But best of all, I avoid all of the gossipy cardio bunny housewives that hung out at the bigger community gym during the day. My gym has 2 treadmills and the rest is free weights and racks. I go in, get it done and I'm out.

The downside that because they're so small, the hours are pretty irregular. They may or maynot be open at 8...they may or maynot close at 10pm... But if you let them know before that you're coming, they'll make sure someone is there.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A good trainer/coach is invaluable when learning proper form (and Olympic Lifting Coaches are essential if you want to learn the lifts). Otherwise you can learn to squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press on your own in any commercial gym with squat racks.

In the meantime, if you plan on doing Olympic Lifting, I guarantee your flexibility is lacking and suggest you start stretching now. Read these articles and pick a few stretches for your most needed points (ankles, hips, hamstrings, and shoulders are always the main issues).

I like to do third do world squats, couch stretch, hamstring stretch, and door jamb stretch at home for general mobility, and more specialized stretching on days I'm at the gym.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I Have done some lifting before but want to really get into it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    A good trainer/coach is invaluable when learning proper form (and Olympic Lifting Coaches are essential if you want to learn the lifts). Otherwise you can learn to squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead press on your own in any commercial gym with squat racks.

In the meantime, if you plan on doing Olympic Lifting, I guarantee your flexibility is lacking and suggest you start stretching now. Read these articles and pick a few stretches for your most needed points (ankles, hips, hamstrings, and shoulders are always the main issues).

I like to do third do world squats, couch stretch, hamstring stretch, and door jamb stretch at home for general mobility, and more specialized stretching on days I'm at the gym.

Great point on the flexibility/mobility. In fact, if the instructor didn't do some assessments with body weight and/or a PVC pipe before working with a load, I would question the instructor's knowledge.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i much prefer warehouse type strength and conditioning gyms.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I miss the Strength and Conditioning Center! They have all the equipment I could ever need for the type of training I like. I had coaching from a very well qualified staff. It can cost a bit more, but I think you will find the switch to be well worth it:-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I can power lift at my commercial gym. It's a small brooklyn gym though, not a chain. Lots of powerlifters there. If I wanted to weight lift/olympic lift I wouldn't be able to really get away with much though. I considered a black iron gym near my home that also offers some group training but you can't just go in whenever you want and you have to sign up for 1 hour blocks.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's a nice gym. A couple of the PT's are crossfitters and Olympic lifters. Done abit of Facebook stalking and already decided on my PT.