Activity Level vs Step Counter Deduction

Options
Hi all! I have a step counter app that automatically adds my daily steps to my exercise section in my daily diary and deducts the corresponding calories. I'm a fairly active person and usually average between 13000 and 16000 steps a day. I'm not sure if it is double counting the calorie deficit to list myself as active or highly active as well, though. What do you guys think?

Replies

• KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would just change your settings to not allow negative calories
  • yamitenshi
    yamitenshi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pretty hard to say really, I don't know if MFP treats your amount of steps differently depending on the activity level you set. I could definitely imagine 10000 steps adding to your calories if you tell MFP you're mostly a couch potato (as 10k steps would be a very active day), but deducting from your calories if you tell it you're very active (since it'd be a slow day for you). Then again, there's definitely plenty of activity that wouldn't add to your step count, so that might not necessarily be the case.

I guess the only thing to do is try it out - if your weight loss/gain is off from what it should be based on the calories you're eating, MFP's estimate of what you use is off. And you should watch for this anyway, since calorie estimates based on the data MFP has are likely to be off anyway, even if only due to differences in base metabolic rate between different people.

Whatever you do, the bottom line is if you lose less weight or gain more than you should, eat less. If you lose more weight or gain less than you should, eat more. MFP's estimate can be customised as needed, and should really be treated as just that - an estimate. It takes some trial and error to get it right for your personal needs.