Hair styles

Options
kate141987
kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
Most days I hate my hair, and the cost of upkeep
It's thin and I think ruined by dying it etc
Do you like your natural hair colour?
What's your favourite hair colour?
Do you cut it short and think it's easier to manage? Iv tried to grow it long, with various degrees of success but some days it's so frizzy and dry I think about just getting the chop

Replies

• kate141987
    Options
    Tbh iv often considered trying out your look @ejinvt
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I've only just come to like my natural hair color. I used to think it was just boring, but it does compliment my skin tone and eye color. My favorite hair colors are not seen in nature. I love vibrant dark purples, burgundies and blues. I have longer length hair (varies from mid-thigh to right below my butt length) so I don't really dye my hair because I don't want to damage it. When I had shorter hair I thought it was a lot more upkeep than now. I had to wash my hair much more frequently. I had to blow dry, style and put products onto it to get it to behave. Now I wash, condition and let it air dry.
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Thisnameischosen_ Posts: 619 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For years I used to dye/perm/straighten my hair.. over time it got so damaged and dry I couldn't do anything with it to make it look nice. I started getting it cut off in stages, shorter and shorter until it was in a bob and all the old damaged hair was gone. And from then i just let it grow out. It's half way down my back now, dark brown and straight. I never have to do anything to it, I just get it trimmed every 2-3 months to keep it neat and healthy and wash it every other day. I never dye or straighten it and don't really need products. It took about 8 years to get it how it is now but it was worth it.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have "interesting" hair...it is naturally curly, but only from the crown down! People assume that I color it (until they meet my family & see it everywhere) and also assume that I straighten the top and/or curl it...nope! I wash & condition, run a little frizzease through the tips & go! My hairdresser says that my hair actually grows in its own style! It is super easy, but doesn't allow for a lot of variation. Some days I just wish for a simple, sleek ponytail but that just isn't in the cards!
  • kate141987
    Options
    Iv always had thin kinda hair didn't help it that I used to dye it blonde all the time but even with the dark dye it still seems to be a bit out of condition
    So I tried going to a really expensive salon for the first time, ended up going back a couple of times. Don't get me wrong they can colour n style your hair really nicely at those places but I can't afford to keep going back.
    Thinking about going to a cheaper place and getting a shorter cut and just buying a home hair dye, never tried one before but they can't be that bad cos loads of folk use them
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i pay for a professional to add blue or red to my hair. he also does a wash so the rest of my hair matches my eyebrow colors.
    i grow it out after christmas and cut it after labor day. i prefer to be able to put my hair up in summer. that and i do the renaissance fair every year and it's good to have long hair for some fun styles.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    I think home hair color kits are probably much better quality than they used to be. I think you could have nice results as long as you keep it conditioned and use a quality product
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to sit and have my hair dyed so maybe once ever few years I get bored and get highlights. I like your natural colour
    long hair is so easy cause you can just pop it into a pony tail but I had mine cut to maybe like just below my chin and loved it. It's super easy I can put it back if I want to but it's just long enough that I can do basically nothing. My hair gets curly as it gets longer so this was awesome
    I hate anything hair related cause it just takes too long. Sitting in a chair for an hour or more makes me feel stressed
  • kate141987
    Options
    Don't get me wrong il be nervous as hell applying a home hair dye probably peaking at it while it's on, looking for shades of green or some other unwanted shade lol
    Wish I had my own personal hair dresser cos I can't master the simplest of things such as blow drying and how come hair dressers can make a fringe look nice? I end up looking like iv got a small furry animal sitting at the top of my head :(
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    You're just a razor away from being unencumbered.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I grow, cut, grow, cut, grow, cut. Right now most of my head is shaved in the back and pixie in the front. I'm not the type of women who can fuss around with my stupid hair every morning. In fact, this current cuts looks better the more days I go without washing it. I'll grow it out again soon, but I'm enjoying this over the summer.
    And no, my boyfriend doesn't really adore it, but he adores me enough not to care what the hell I do with my hair.

My natural color is pretty dishwater blonde in my old age, so I bleach it myself. I've been coloring my own hair for about 25 years, so I'm pretty confident.

• kate141987
    Options
    Iv came to the conclusion there is something fundamentally wrong with my hair follicles
    It just grows bad I'm done with taking the blame for my hair problems
    I'm cutting it off and slapping hair dye on it and if my hair has a problem with that I could care less what's my hair ever done for me?
    Rant over
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My hair is blonde and straight. It can be colored, I guess (I did a little when I was in high school), but it doesn't like to curl. Except for one little section on the front right side that twirls itself like a ringlet for some strange reason. It is pretty thin, and I used to have a lot of it but lost a good bit of volume after having my son. I started cutting it shorter and shorter, and currently it's pretty short. Kind of a pixie but longer on top with one side to my chin (the one with the curly bit). I love it. I mean LOVE it. It's so easy to take care of. It takes me 3 minutes to dry and style my hair in the morning. Best decision I ever made, cutting it short.
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always dye my hair jet black.
    It's thick and has a mind of its own.
    My hair literally shrinks from 16 inches to as bad as one inch if water touches it. Frizz isn't the word for what I experience. I become a puff ball.

It's a bloody struggle.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I usually dye my hair darker or lighter depending on the season
  • VictoriaK1993
    VictoriaK1993 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    Do you cut it short and think it's easier to manage? Iv tried to grow it long, with various degrees of success but some days it's so frizzy and dry I think about just getting the chop

I died my hair sporadically throughout my teens, either a reddish brown colour, or caramel highlights (my natural hair being a chestnut brown). I cannot stand sitting in a chair for 3+ hours while it's being done, and the gross chemical smell. About a year ago a finally returned to my natural colour, and have no desire to do anything at all to it. It suits me, it is healthier, and I am happy!
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    Ugh I feel your pain... I keep it long bc it's easier to throw it up in a bun. Short hair need to be maintained and done all the time. I have dark brown hair but recently went to black... I love it!!! I tend to bore easily and I am now thinking of midnight blue lmao
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    My natural hair color is black. My current hair is black with some grays popping out and light highlights to cover those gray.

I've had short hair since college, with the exception of my wedding and the current photo. Short hair was great for me since all I had to do was wash and go. I finally needed a change so am in the process of growing it out into a bob. I'm currently have highlights though you can't see it in the photo.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair but as it's long now and my hormones have changed, it's less curly. If I want it to look good I have to blow it out, then use a curling iron. I usually do big waves and bangs. I rock a half up look like a 2 year old as well. I literally don't know anyone else who wears their hair this way.

I've also done things like bouffants and victory rolls, though I liked that stuff when I was overweight. Now I like to be more simple.

I've had dark hair and pin up cherry red hair. Now I have a balayage coloring, the roots are natural, and there is blonde painted throughout.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    Options
    I don't even own a curling iron or straightening iron & from my other posts you can see I have yet to even master a ponytail, so wash & go it is! Only a drag in the winter when it occasionally freezes whilst scraping ice & snow off the car! Lol!