Gym Time

Options
Question 1: When it comes to the gym how long do you all spend in the gym. I am thinking of going at least 4 times a week for at least 1 hour.

Question 2: What are some good gym exercises for losing belly fat, slimming arms and lifting butt?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I tend to spend between 45 mins and 1hr 15 mins in the gym depending on what my routine is for that day and how much/little rest I put in between exercises and if I have to wait for equipment to become free. I go to the gym 4 days a week at the moment but I've had periods where I only do three sessions a week.
    tierraajon wrote: »
    Question 2: What are some good gym exercises for losing belly fat, slimming arms and lifting butt?

There are no exercises that will target specific fat* but there are many that can firm the underlying muscle and improve appearance. The best recommendation is that you aim for an all over, strength routine. But, if you insist on targeting the butt and arms only, squats and dead lifts (body weight, dumbbells, or (for maximum bad-*kitten* points) barbell) for the butt and press-ups (box press ups if you can't do full), bench press, and triceps kickbacks for the back of the arms (the triceps area).

* you just need less calories that you burn to initiate fat loss. Unfortunately where that fat comes from is not under your control and anecdotally, it comes off from the place you want it to come off from last :(

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What you do at the gym is far more relevant than how long you spend. I suggest following an established strength program like strong curves. There are many others too.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I spend over an hour 4-5 days a week lifting, and then run and walk several days a week.

As others have said, get on a structured progressive lifting program, throw in some cardio, and most importantly, stick with it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I usually spend 30-60 minutes at the gym strength training. I do a modified version of Stronglifts 5x5. I modified it because I only have 2 days to do it, instead of the recommended 3 weekly, so I do all 5 lifts each time. I have also added biceps, triceps, glute bridges, lunges (sometimes good mornings, pull-ups, and hip thrusts). Depending on how many accessories I add to my 5 main lifts, it could take about 45-60 min. I do my cardio either at home (videos) or by running (treadmill or track), about 30 min to an hour or so. All of these exercises, plus eating right, lead to "losing belly fat, slimming arms and lifting butt".
  • Antonia_I
    Antonia_I Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My gym is at home so I have greater flexibility, but I usually train 6x a week for 45-60 minutes.

I do StrongLIfts 3x a week and rowing 3x a week.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spend 1 hour riding 20 - 25 km on a bike, plus 1/2 hour doing resistance machines, and then 1/2 hour in the sauna.

I do this twice a day, 7 days a week.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When I was just going to the gym for general fitness, it was an hour a day, 5 days a week.

These days, I'm a competitive powerlifter and easily spend over 12 hours a week in the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 75-90 minutes start to finish (getting to the basement, warming up, on through lifting) to finish my workout most days. I do that 4x/week.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    4-6 days a week
    30-90 minutes each, depending on what I'm doing and how much time I have (I go before work in the morning).
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I do stronglifts slightly modified and with decent rests between sets it takes me about an hour.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    30-45 minutes, 5x/week.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    60-75 minutes, 5 days a week
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I tend to workout about 1 hour a day, 7 days a week. My workouts are split into 2 shorter workouts (one before and one after work) on work days, longer videos or run on non-workdays. During the summer I also add in swimming.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Friday, 1+ hour per day - lifting 5 days a week + HIIT cardio 2 days a week. Weekends, I do body weight routines and/or ride/walk each day (just a little change to give my body a break from the intense routines thru the week).
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. Then, I also try to get in a half hour walk M-F.

You need to cross train. You need to lift some weights or spend some time on the weight machines, but you also need to get in some good cardio. Doing 1000 crunches a day won't get you a nice stomach if you aren't getting that heart rate up there in order to burn the fat. You need to do a little bit of everything. Find something you like so there's as little dread factor as possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I use the gym to lift and spend about an hour there 3x per week. In terms of losing belly fat, etc...that's going to come from your diet..specific exercises don't spot reduce fat.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I had to make myself go for 30-60 minutes 3 times a week...now I go just about every day for 2 hours, I love it. It's great having that time to myself and I feel great. It's addictive! :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You lose fat and "tone" body parts through a caloric deficit. No exercise will give you abs unless you lose the fat ontop first. I personally do not go for more than 1-1.5hrs a day regardless of whether I'm trying to gain weight or lose it.
  • tierraajon
    tierraajon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback !!
  • Turb2o
    Turb2o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Look at some websites like t nation body building. Com they have loads of programs for whatever your goal is