weekend food logging

Options
Does anyone else struggle with weekend food logging? If I am at home its a bit of a challenge, but I am more successful. But if I am away from home, I never do it.

Replies

• jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It not logging everything hasn't hurt you with your goals, then don't worry about it. If you aren't reaching your goals and find yourself stumbling then you have to motivate yourself to log. I log everything I eat. Whether I go out to eat, cook for myself, or buy a snack at the gas station. If I eat, I log it. It's the only way I can keep myself on track.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Why would it be more difficult during the weekend? See food, log food, eat food. Monday or Saturday, same thing. Do you leave your phone home on the weekends?
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and for me, it is not because I am eating poorly, but rather I am so distracted and busy trying to squish 5 days of cleaning and shopping etc into 2 days! I am working really hard to begin a habit with it of using my last few minutes before I go to bed at night on the weekends to log stuff. Good luck!
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The first time I joined MFP I too struggled with logging on the weekend. But this time I knew I was ready when I am just as dedicated on weekends as I am on weekdays. It made a huge difference with me and I really like holding myself accountable all the time. If not a cheat meal would turn into a cheat day and then a cheat weekend. That is how I got to be in the position I was in. It was called denial. With that being said..... everyone has to figure out what works for them. I have to log everything.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Every day is the same for me. Some days I need to play 'catch up', like entering my breakfast at the same time I'm updating my lunch, but it's all the same to me. I do understand where you are coming from though.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    If I go out for a meal, I scribble a note of what I ate or I take a photo on my phone - no one thinks it odd, people post pictures of their food on Instagram all the time these days! Then I try and figure out what to log it as when I get home.

As others have said, though, if it's not hurting your goals then don't worry about it too much, and just try to be mindful of your portion sizes when you're away from home. :)
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Plan what you will eat during the weekend and log in advance. Many restaurants now have their nutritional information available online.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You just have to make it a priority. I don't usually eat anything unless I've logged it first. That may involve planning my meals out in advance for the whole day, so that I know what I'm making/eating for dinner to help avoid those last minute impulse drive through runs, or just logging as I'm ordering something in a restaurant to make sure I'm not going to be surprised later that something I thought would fit in my day definitely did not.

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's definitely more challenging to develop the habit on the weekends for me too. Monday through Friday, I am in a routine. I log the day as soon as I get to work. Weekends, I sleep in and am out of routine. As soon as I remember though, I log.
    Just gotta remind yourself. Maybe put an alarm on your phone or something?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll never understand the problem. See food, log food, eat food. It takes less than 60 seconds (if that long)to log in a meal. Are we just making excuses? Do we want to make this seem to be more difficult than it needs to be? Or are we just excusing our planned on failure by convincing ourselves that it's just too hard.

See food, there it is right in front of you.
    Log food. None of us are without their phones any more. It takes all of a minute (tops). Now, put your phone away;
    Eat food. At next meal/snack;
    Repeat.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I set up my days in advance. If things change, I make the changes as I go. Pre-planning and logging days in advance totally helps me keep on track, though.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have to say: I have a bit of trouble with logging on the weekends as well. To those saying, "Just log it as you eat it." I don't HAVE a smart phone. My phone does not connect to the internet. I realize that is the case for many, but you can't assume that's true of everyone.

In any case, I plan a week in advance what my dinner will be each night (it helps with grocery shopping for the week), so I log that in the morning, when I get up, on weekends. I also plan ahead with my breakfast and log that at the same time. That leaves me with lunch and, since I've logged breakfast and dinner in the morning, I have an idea what I can do when it comes to lunch. Basically, the first chance I get to sit down at my computer again, I finish my logging. Sometimes, that's not until I'm in for the evening.
  • katjane720
    katjane720 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    If I go out for a meal, I scribble a note of what I ate or I take a photo on my phone - no one thinks it odd, people post pictures of their food on Instagram all the time these days! Then I try and figure out what to log it as when I get home.

As others have said, though, if it's not hurting your goals then don't worry about it too much, and just try to be mindful of your portion sizes when you're away from home. :)

I like this idea thanks