Broken ankle - want to run again

Options
Hello all!
This past winter, my fiance managed to break his ankle and fracture his leg in such a way that he had to use a removable cast during days and walk using crutches and eventually a cane. He did a few sessions of physio, and now walks normally. If he's walking all day he ends up limping. He used to run at 9,0 on the treadmill, and wants to do so again, but there is (I think) too much impact when he does, and he ends up sore and limping the next day.We just bought an ankle brace today, so hopefully that will allow for a little more activity.

My question for you is did you had a similar experience and how did you rehabilitate yourself to be able to run again? How long did it take? Are there any exercises that you would recommend, or recommend that he avoid?

Thank you!

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Though I havent experienced a fracture to that degree I have a very good friend who has, and re-fractured hiking, her healing included surgery for pins to be inserted. What he needs to focus on is rebuilding the muscles in that area in a low impact way, once the muscles are strengthened then he can go back to running. Swimming (yes it works your ankles) the elliptical, strength training all leg muscles, ANY AND ALL excercises and stretchs he did in physical therapy, even if they seem silly now, they use them because they work without straining the muscles too hard. a GOOD ankle brace will help, make sure its a strong one, the one I typically use then I have a sprainwas burchased at walmart for $17 but has metal plates on each side of the ankle and when worn properly you have no risk of your ankle slipping during activity. Eventually he may beable to go back to a wrap but from what you have described, not right now.

He also needs to realize he may not go back to his old stats for a couple more years. I know it sounds harsh, but its true.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think we may get into swimmming, since it will be perfect for summer!
    He tried the brace last night on the elliptical and tells me that it felt better both during and after his work out.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-ballet dancer/student who now has metal in my ankle from a pretty bad break and displacement. I'm back on pointe again, and dance about 9 classes or so a week. It took two years for my ankle to be fully functional, although it's lost some elasticity (I'm also middle-aged, so healing took longer). But it's now stronger and more reliable than my other ankle.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing. And congratulations on your recovery - you sound phenomenal!