I'm allergic to my FitBit - what can I do?

Options
Hey guys. I won a FitBit in a Weight Watchers competition and I love using it. However I'm allergic to whatever it's made out of and broke out in a nasty open rash that took a month to heal. I want to use my FitBit though! Has anyone else had this reaction and found a way to overcome it? Is it possible to coat it with something, like clear nail polish, and still have it working as normal?

Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    maybe get a cover for it made out of something you're not allergic to? Lots of sellers on Etsy make all sorts of covers for the various models.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    What kind of FitBit is is? I have a FitBit Flex and have bought some really pretty bracelets on Etsy that no one would ever suspect carry a FitBit. I’ve even worn them to a wedding! Check it out at https://www.etsy.com/shop/FUNKtionalWearables

I’ve also seen a seller who makes hair bands so you can wear it in your hair and, I think, a carrier type thing so you can attach it to your bra, so it’s completely invisible. Just search on Etsy and you’ll find all kinds of cool options!

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    maybe get a cover for it made out of something you're not allergic to? Lots of sellers on Etsy make all sorts of covers for the various models.

This

They make covers. I've seen them on E-Bay.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If it's not a HR one and you are just using for steps, it will work in your pocket
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    So glad you listed that etsy shop. I have loads of colored bracelets and once in a while get a sore, but nothing really pretty for an evening out.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had a Force that they recalled. It did give me the rash but I liked the fit bit so I started alternating wrists and it stopped giving me the rash and I started wearing on one hand again and never had a problem. I recently got the Blaze and noticed that if I wore it in the shower I would get a rash like you describe. I would try switching often and let it dry out maybe two or three times a day.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There's a thing called Moleskin- it's sticky on one side and soft on the other. When I interned at Disney, the one Jasmine was allergic to her necklace so we covered the back of it with Moleskin.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There's a thing called Moleskin- it's sticky on one side and soft on the other. When I interned at Disney, the one Jasmine was allergic to her necklace so we covered the back of it with Moleskin.

That's a really good idea! It's cheap and in most drug stores. I've used that on my feet to prevent blisters. It would be very comfortable against the skin.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people putting clear nail polish on the band (I know I do this with earring too).
  • germangirl88
    germangirl88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in. I had the Fitbit hr and got a rash from it. The piece on the underside for the heart rate part is made with nickel. I didnt know that as I am allergic to nickel. I had to take mine back. Hope this helps.
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I got the rash too. I had to stop wearing mine in the shower and at night. I'm in the market now for a new one. I'm trying that moleskin idea!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in. I had the Fitbit hr and got a rash from it. The piece on the underside for the heart rate part is made with nickel. I didnt know that as I am allergic to nickel. I had to take mine back. Hope this helps.

That would explain it. I also have an HR and it's only to be worn around the wrist. Will moleskin interfere with the ratings at all if it stick it onto the underside of the FitBit?

Thank you all for the advice so far!

Edit: Just checked out those covers and they look lovely! Do they come between the skin and the FitBit HR reciever? If so then that's the thing for me!
  • jodieelol
    jodieelol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my Fitbit HR although it's not the Nickel part my rash is from it's the actual band itself, FitBit have a disclaimer which covers them which states some people will have reactions to it due to sensitive skin. The only thing on the threat I've seen that will help me might be the moleskin as the easy store and eBay stuff just covers the top back bit and not the whole of the back