Is there a reliable heartrate monitor for lap swimming?

Options
I swim laps 60-90 minutes 5 days/week with a local Masters Club. I would really like to get a better idea of the calories I am burning during my sessions. I am not a runner, so I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles. I track my yardage on my own just fine, so really I'm just looking for a basic hr monitor that will show my data at after my swim. I have read mixed reviews on the newest Garmin Vivoactive HR. Apparently it takes your HR using the wristband, but an underwater chest strap is not available. Reliability is spotty as far as I can tell based on reviews. However, it's more in my price range.

Are there any other options under $300 that I may be missing?

Thanks!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Under 300? Not that I know of. I think Garmin makes one for swimming, and a tri watch. That's probably it. I've given up on HRM swimming data for now.

You check out dcrainmakers reviews?
  • Nikkia2112
    Nikkia2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Under 300? Not that I know of. I think Garmin makes one for swimming, and a tri watch. That's probably it. I've given up on HRM swimming data for now.

You check out dcrainmakers reviews?

Thanks for the input! I have not checked out dcrainmaker but will do that for sure.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Garmin makes a swim HR strap. I'm not sure which models it is compatible with. Id check out Garmin Swim and see if it works with that. The tri watches tend to be pricier.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Sorry, I just checked and the swim strap is only compatible with the Fenix 3 and 920xt which are more than what you are looking for.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    No great options except Garmin. I now that no matter how hard I swim my HR stays lower than riding or running. Maybe run a mile moderately and take 65%-70% as an estimate?
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you go with a Garmin 910, that is an older version of a tri-watch and runs about 180. A pretty solid choice, and if you should want to use it for running/biking you're all set! It also works if you do open water swimming, and will give you your lap times.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    No great options except Garmin. I now that no matter how hard I swim my HR stays lower than riding or running. Maybe run a mile moderately and take 65%-70% as an estimate?

The bolded part is perfectly normal and expected. You might feel like you are dying in the water and your heart is going to burst out of your chest, but in terms of absolute rate it will be way lower than running or cycling.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    chelso0o wrote: »
    If you go with a Garmin 910, that is an older version of a tri-watch and runs about 180. A pretty solid choice, and if you should want to use it for running/biking you're all set! It also works if you do open water swimming, and will give you your lap times.

The 910 will not do heart rate in the water.

The 920 will if you get the specific HRM Swim model. However I personally feel that knowing your heart rate in the water is somewhat useless. It won't tell you all that much, and the calculation you get for calorie burn would be pretty far off from reality anyway.

I do believe Polar makes a model that works in the water, but again it is likely pricier and fancier in terms of features than the OP asked for.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    chelso0o wrote: »

But the HRM isn't reliable in water. The swim strap isn't compatible with it.
  • Nikkia2112
    Nikkia2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful info. Sounds like I am out of luck. Oh well. I'm glad I asked...lots of knowledgeable folks here! Thank you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just checked and the swim strap is only compatible with the Fenix 3 and 920xt which are more than what you are looking for.

I use a Fenix 3 HR and an HRM-Swim strap, it works well, but it's over budget. Even though the F3 is currently on sale.

I don't know the specifics but some Suunto watches have also been doing this for years. I think they even use the same (Firstbeat) software to turn the HR data into a calorie estimate.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I found a waterproof Fitbit Charge on Amazon that I've been happy with.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited July 2016
    Options

Does the HRM work in the water?
    I've found lots of "waterproof" options but that just means they can get wet, not that they actually work underwater.

ETA - I can't seem to find the answer to that. The official FitBit answer says not to wear it swimming. Lots of account of people wearing it swimming but no mention of HR.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I take a swim class from time to time (drills and such) and at one they had us use a HRM that went under the cap at the temple and said the HR at various points so you could adjust. It was kind of cool, but no idea what brand or how expensive it would be.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a Mio Fuse (~$100) on my wrist next to my Fenix 3 to get my HR while I swam. It doesn't work as well as the Garmin chest strap, but you could use this if you can find a way to keep your phone close by to capture the data.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Does the HRM work in the water?
    I've found lots of "waterproof" options but that just means they can get wet, not that they actually work underwater.

for what it's worth. My Garmin VivoSmartHR HR Sensor, dubbed the Elevate, does read my HR while in the pool.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The old-school Polar H1 transmitters which use the 5kHz signal (not the newer bluetooth smart, these can't transmit under water) will transmit under water. I used to use it with my FT7 and had no issues at all. These also transmit HR to some gym equipment, depending on the brand. The good news here is that you might be able to pick one up cheap 2nd hand, the bad news is that getting data off them requires another thing add on thing to transmit it, but if you're just after instantaneous, average and calories or something like that then you're set.

Wahoo Tickr X might be another option, I think you can use this to record (but not view in real-time!! It won't transmit underwater) your session then view it afterwards. I use the normal version of the Tickr that doesn't do this with my watch and bike computer and it's great.

http://www.polar.com/au-en/products/accessories/H1_heart_rate_sensor if you scroll down it shows what products are compatible, and a quick google search suggests there are compatible watches available second hand for well under $100 on ebay. I used an FT7 and later on a RS300X and had no issues with either product.